Why do quite many homosexuals vote Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:49:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do quite many homosexuals vote Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Why do quite many homosexuals vote Republican?  (Read 10379 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »
« edited: July 31, 2012, 11:06:59 AM by Torie »

Just to add one thought to this most energetic thread, an un-closeted gay Pub can do a lot to change hearts and minds within his party, simply by being himself. So to demonize such folks as having their values all screwed up or something, ignores the potential good such people can achieve. On sexuality matters, personal anecdotal experience counts for a lot in my experience.

It should also be borne in mind, that about a third of the Pubs support gay marriage these days - a figure that is slowly going up.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »

Just to add one thought to this most energetic thread, an un-closeted gay Pub can do a lot to change hearts and minds within his party, simply by being himself. So to demonize such folks as having their values all screwed up or something, ignores the potential good such people can achieve. On sexuality matters, personal anecdotal experience counts for a lot in my experience.

Ok, aside from the fact that I do LOVE sexual anecdotes, I'm not sure making the GOP less hate-mongering is 'good' for my side.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2012, 03:03:17 PM »

Of course not, opebo, but it would be good from the perspective of gay Republicans, or gays who have to live under Republican government.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »

Of course not, opebo, but it would be good from the perspective of gay Republicans, or gays who have to live under Republican government.

In an issue-based advocacy situation, the way to win an issue usually is to build support for it within the opposite party such that virtually all of your party agrees with you and the other party's status is something more like "confused" on the issue. Basically what happened to the Democrats on gun control when the Republicans pretty much won the issue.

This will eventually happen with gay marriage, barring some unexpected turn of events, and at that it will be like asking why do some gun owners vote for Democrats?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2012, 03:45:38 PM »

In an issue-based advocacy situation, the way to win an issue usually is to build support for it within the opposite party such that virtually all of your party agrees with you and the other party's status is something more like "confused" on the issue. Basically what happened to the Democrats on gun control when the Republicans pretty much won the issue.

Yeah but I don't care so very much about this issue, only about defeating Republicans.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2012, 03:47:20 PM »

Yeah but I don't care so very much about this issue, only about defeating Republicans.

You're also not gay.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2012, 04:31:01 PM »

I'm no innovator, Vosem.  Anything I post is obvious common knowledge.
Your posts, and I say this in the nicest way possible, are insane conspiracy theory bulls**t. But they're fun to read.

But how can it be a 'conspiracy theory'?  I'm describing the open and obvious legal/political/economic structure of the society.  There is nothing hidden or conspiratorial about capitalism, Vosem, nor have I ever claimed so.

It's a conspiracy theory because the way you interpret the legal/political/economic structure of society (as benefiting only the rich and not anyone else at all) is very unusual, and such unusual beliefs are usually labeled 'conspiracy theories' in American political discourse whether or not they include conspiracies.

Because obviously Republicans are horrid corporatist anti-poor neoliberal jerks Roll Eyes
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2012, 04:59:30 PM »

It's a conspiracy theory because the way you interpret the legal/political/economic structure of society (as benefiting only the rich and not anyone else at all) is very unusual, and such unusual beliefs are usually labeled 'conspiracy theories' in American political discourse whether or not they include conspiracies.

Come on, its as plain as the nose on your face - you can tell the legal/political/economic structure benefits only them because:  They have enormous wealth and privilege.  Think of it this way - instead of using all your rationales for them being your masters, just 'follow the money' - follow the privilege.  Imagine yourself as an alien flying over your city in your saucer - what do you see?  You see a few people living in idleness and luxury in palaces, secured by guards and servants.  You also see a vast populace working for those few, and doing their bidding.

Now, who does the structure of society serve?

Because obviously Republicans are horrid corporatist anti-poor neoliberal jerks Roll Eyes

Yes, and that is most definitely common knowledge, Vosem.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2012, 05:05:53 PM »

I just looked around opebo, and didn't notice I was sitting in a palace, surrounded by guards and servants. What happened?  Where the F are they? 
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2012, 07:12:37 PM »

Some gay Republicans may come from a Republican family, that still accepts their homosexuality.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2012, 08:24:30 AM »

I just looked around opebo, and didn't notice I was sitting in a palace, surrounded by guards and servants. What happened?  Where the F are they? 

Torie, you not really all that rich, are you?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2012, 08:43:27 AM »

I only read half of this...so uh...maybe they want to vote Republican so homosexuality will be illegal so that they will go to jail and get all the tail they want..
t_host1

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2012, 08:48:18 AM »

Who's going to be the first to point out the obvious problem with exit poll data regarding this particular demographic?
hum… it’s not a closet that they are exiting…
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2012, 08:55:33 AM »

Who's going to be the first to point out the obvious problem with exit poll data regarding this particular demographic?
hum… it’s not a closet that they are exiting…

So...there is some sort of reverse-gay Bradley-like effect. With the Bradley effect, some racists go into the polls and come out of this closet and go back in at the exit polls....its the opposite here...the subject stays in the colset for the duration and only comes out during the exit polls.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2012, 01:53:58 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2012, 01:56:01 PM by xavier110 »

They're usually the most insufferable people I've ever encountered... and oddly enough, from my experiences, they typically aren't rich.

It takes extreme self-confidence to find yourself at odds with 75% of gays and 75% of your party, thinking the former are deluded and part of the herd and the latter are fools whose bigotry is being used to serve your cause. You don't have to be arrogant to be a gay Republican, but for many, it really helps. They find themselves on the defensive all the time so the wall comes up.

Yes. As a gay man, I tend to sense that they use their homosexuality as a bludgeon to distance themselves from others (to stand out, oddly a separatist/not conservative position), and because of this desire to stand out, to be different, they have to embrace conservative positions for the attention. Now obviously, not all gay Republicans are just Republicans for the sake of being different, but there's a very particular strain of gay conservative that is like this, and I (and all my gay friends) despise them. They are awful, awful people. They need to grow up.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2012, 01:59:10 PM »

It might be easier to just go on Gay Patriot and ask them.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2012, 02:26:09 PM »

Torie, you not really all that rich, are you?

You are the one that put me in the super rich oppressor class, not I opebo.  I was just going along with your ride as a passenger is all.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2012, 02:40:53 PM »

You are the one that put me in the super rich oppressor class, not I opebo.  I was just going along with your ride as a passenger is all.

It is a rhetorical device of course, and after all you and all the right-wingers on here are apologists for that class, whether members or not.  Anyway I suspect you could have a houseboy if you liked.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2012, 02:48:33 PM »

Yes. As a gay man, I tend to sense that they use their homosexuality as a bludgeon to distance themselves from others (to stand out, oddly a separatist/not conservative position), and because of this desire to stand out, to be different, they have to embrace conservative positions for the attention.

Hrm. I can't say I've met any who are Republican to be contrarian. Usually I think they're guys who would have unquestionably been Republican if they weren't gay, but since they are gay, they try to make it work and it means having to explain themselves a lot to both sides to the point where they're just over it and end up being defensive.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »

Yes. As a gay man, I tend to sense that they use their homosexuality as a bludgeon to distance themselves from others (to stand out, oddly a separatist/not conservative position), and because of this desire to stand out, to be different, they have to embrace conservative positions for the attention.

Hrm. I can't say I've met any who are Republican to be contrarian. Usually I think they're guys who would have unquestionably been Republican if they weren't gay, but since they are gay, they try to make it work and it means having to explain themselves a lot to both sides to the point where they're just over it and end up being defensive.

I wouldn't say these guys would ever admit to being Republican for the sake of being contrarian, but their approach to their sexuality usually goes hand-in-hand with their conservatism.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2012, 02:55:52 PM »

You are the one that put me in the super rich oppressor class, not I opebo.  I was just going along with your ride as a passenger is all.

It is a rhetorical device of course, and after all you and all the right-wingers on here are apologists for that class, whether members or not.  Anyway I suspect you could have a houseboy if you liked.

Wait, what happened to the hoard of browns Torie employs then gets high with?  
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2012, 03:03:49 PM »

You are the one that put me in the super rich oppressor class, not I opebo.  I was just going along with your ride as a passenger is all.

It is a rhetorical device of course, and after all you and all the right-wingers on here are apologists for that class, whether members or not.  Anyway I suspect you could have a houseboy if you liked.

Yes, I am very fond of browns, Grumps. They know how to have a good time in general.  Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »

Yes, I am very fond of browns, Grumps. They know how to have a good time in general.  Smiley

I'm sure they are gratified that you are amused...

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2012, 04:24:35 PM »

I'm sure they are gratified that you are amused...

I was honored by an invitation to visit the home towns in Mexico of two of them (one in Jalisco state and one in Sinaloa), both of which I accepted, and at one of them, took up my old pot smoking habit again. So they seem to like this particular gringo's company. Go figure. Smiley
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2012, 04:34:47 PM »

Many homosexuals vote Republican when LGBT rights is not their #1 priority in politics.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies