Whig Party Convention, Bird-in-Hand, PA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:40:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Whig Party Convention, Bird-in-Hand, PA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: Whig Party Convention, Bird-in-Hand, PA  (Read 19658 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: September 06, 2012, 02:16:31 PM »

Also, is the Whig Liberty Caucus affiliated to the 'official' Whig party? It's acting as a party within a party.

It purports to be. I don't really have a problem with it, but it might be good to clarify the powers of subsidiary caucuses in our rules. Their ability to endorse a candidate isn't really official (a caucus endorsement would not appear on a presidential ballot), so I'd look into specifying that our caucuses would be able to make recommendations for endorsements. Kind of like how senate committees recommend whether or not legislation should be passed.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #226 on: September 06, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »

Also, is the Whig Liberty Caucus affiliated to the 'official' Whig party? It's acting as a party within a party.

It purports to be. I don't really have a problem with it, but it might be good to clarify the powers of subsidiary caucuses in our rules. Their ability to endorse a candidate isn't really official (a caucus endorsement would not appear on a presidential ballot), so I'd look into specifying that our caucuses would be able to make recommendations for endorsements. Kind of like how senate committees recommend whether or not legislation should be passed.

Hmm. Yes, some guidelines do need to be laid down because at the moment the Whig Liberty Caucus might as well be its own political party, not to mention they are most likely to endorse a non-Whig in the upcoming primary.

I'm also slightly worried that the Caucus is getting more attention that the actual base party. I'd like to see what Clarence thinks of this matter.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #227 on: September 06, 2012, 03:05:07 PM »

For the record, I support SPC's candidacy as well.

While Gass means well to ask us to back his candidacy, it's the real life equivalent of Bernie Sanders asking for a Republican endorsement. Not 'appnin.

I totally understand this view. My goal for asking was primarily to introduce myself to your party members, make it known that I will be willing to work across the aisle and ask for at least some consideration.
Thank you- I respect this and I believe all Whigs do... we look forward to working with you. Also, we will not simply reject your request for consideration. We will have an endorsement vote between you and SPC.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #228 on: September 06, 2012, 03:08:47 PM »

Hmm. Yes, some guidelines do need to be laid down because at the moment the Whig Liberty Caucus might as well be its own political party, not to mention they are most likely to endorse a non-Whig in the upcoming primary.

I'm also slightly worried that the Caucus is getting more attention that the actual base party. I'd like to see what Clarence thinks of this matter.
I don't have any problem with this... if the Caucus is getting more attention then our party, that is on us to fix! I've been around here for a while now and the lesson others have taught me is that the right needs to be united... that includes hawks like myself and the libertarians. I would rather have an active libertarian caucus then a separate party- right now we are under the same big tent but the caucus gives them a chance to express their views... I am ok with this

If you both want to clarify caucus rules- that is fine by me. But let's appreciate the caucus for what it is- a group WITHIN our party of highly motivated people who we will unite with in a general election despite disagreements before

I'm all for it
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #229 on: September 06, 2012, 03:26:29 PM »

Right. I'll defer on the issue of Caucus rules until the next party Convention, if only because our current Convention will be ending soon.

On that issue, I was thinking that we should hold a vote as to where our next gathering shall be held. Bird-in-Hand is rather, ahem, low-key, for a major political party.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #230 on: September 06, 2012, 04:00:11 PM »

My suggestions are as follows:

Chugwater, Wyoming
Big Chimney, West Virginia
Humptulip, Washington
Canadian, Texas
Trophy Club, Texas
Slaughterville, Oklahoma
Three Legs Town, Ohio
Little Switzerland, North Carolina
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
Ronkonkoma, New York
Elephant Butte, New Mexico
Weeping Water, Nebraska
Hungry Horse, Montana
Pine Stump Junction, Michigan
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
Yellow Jacket, Colorado
Rough and Ready, California
Greasy Corner, Arkansas
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #231 on: September 06, 2012, 05:06:08 PM »

I agree... somewhat. Having a separate Liberty Caucus that does not in general endorse Whig candidates could be problematic. However, in this case, we arranged to have a primary with the MCPR and IB, so we shouldn't then try to rig the primary so the Whig candidate wins automatically because there are more members in the Whigs than IB or MCPR. That would make it sort of difficult to work with those other parties. By agreeeing to a 3-way primary, we have defacto agreed already that a candidate from the IB or MCPR would in general be acceptable to us. If the Liberty Caucus begins endorsing non-Whigs over Whigs in a general election, then yes there would be an issue.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #232 on: September 06, 2012, 05:27:59 PM »

Chugwater, Wyoming
Big Chimney, West Virginia
Humptulip, Washington
Canadian, Texas
Trophy Club, Texas
Slaughterville, Oklahoma
Three Legs Town, Ohio
Little Switzerland, North Carolina
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
Ronkonkoma, New York
Elephant Butte, New Mexico
Weeping Water, Nebraska
Hungry Horse, Montana
Pine Stump Junction, Michigan
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
Yellow Jacket, Colorado
Rough and Ready, California
Greasy Corner, Arkansas

lol Hags.

I agree... somewhat. Having a separate Liberty Caucus that does not in general endorse Whig candidates could be problematic. However, in this case, we arranged to have a primary with the MCPR and IB, so we shouldn't then try to rig the primary so the Whig candidate wins automatically because there are more members in the Whigs than IB or MCPR. That would make it sort of difficult to work with those other parties. By agreeeing to a 3-way primary, we have defacto agreed already that a candidate from the IB or MCPR would in general be acceptable to us. If the Liberty Caucus begins endorsing non-Whigs over Whigs in a general election, then yes there would be an issue.

Yes, I think for the time being we should see how everything works out. If however we run into a scenario whereby non-Whigs were being given preferential treatment over our own party's endorsed candidates, post primaries, then we may need to establish guidelines regulating such behaviour. Although, hopefully, if the Caucus system is not misused, this won't be necessary.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #233 on: September 06, 2012, 05:28:36 PM »

Chugwater, Wyoming

x 20RP12
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #234 on: September 06, 2012, 05:52:52 PM »

I've always wanted to have a convention in Truth or Consequences, NM.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #235 on: September 07, 2012, 03:47:36 AM »

Look at the list and then at the shape of my avatar and you will see that my choice is obvious.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #236 on: September 07, 2012, 06:31:46 AM »

Slaughterville, Oklahoma
xPingvin
More families should attend our conventions. I propose using this song for promoting it on next convention because it fits town name.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #237 on: September 07, 2012, 03:07:35 PM »

It has been 48 hours since the Chair allowed non-Whig Mideast Assembly candidates to come forth for endorsements. SPC and Gass3268 have specifically asked for an endorsement, ProgressiveRealist has not, and therefore won't be on the endorsement ballot.

Also, I've taken the liberty to include a ballot allowing Whig members to choose the next location for our Party Convention. I've added all the current proposed locations and a write-in option.

As usual, 24 hours of voting unless the Chair deems otherwise.

Mideast Assembly Endorsement Ballot

[] SPC
[] Gass3268

Whig Party City Conference Ballot

[] Chugwater, Wyoming
[] Big Chimney, West Virginia
[] Humptulip, Washington
[] Canadian, Texas
[] Trophy Club, Texas
[] Slaughterville, Oklahoma
[] Three Legs Town, Ohio
[] Little Switzerland, North Carolina
[] Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
[] Ronkonkoma, New York
[] Elephant Butte, New Mexico
[] Weeping Water, Nebraska
[] Hungry Horse, Montana
[] Pine Stump Junction, Michigan
[] Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
[] Yellow Jacket, Colorado
[] Rough and Ready, California
[] Greasy Corner, Arkansas
[] Truth, New Mexico
[] Consequences, New Mexico
[] Columbia, South Carolina
Write-in: ___________
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #238 on: September 07, 2012, 03:10:28 PM »

[1] SPC
[2] Gass3268

[1] Chugwater, Wyoming
[2] Big Chimney, West Virginia
[3] Humptulip, Washington
[4] Three Legs Town, Ohio
[5] Little Switzerland, North Carolina
[6] Truth Or Consequences, New Mexico
[7] Write-in: Butte, Montana
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #239 on: September 07, 2012, 03:29:04 PM »

Mideast Assembly:

1. SPC
2. Gass

Conference Ballot:

1. Little Switzerland, North Carolina
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #240 on: September 07, 2012, 03:49:03 PM »

[1] SPC

[1] Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
[2] Ronkonkoma, New York
[3] Chugwater, Wyoming
[4] Big Chimney, West Virginia
[5] Hungry Horse, Montana
[6] Trophy Club, Texas
[7] Slaughterville, Oklahoma
[8] Elephant Butte, New Mexico
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #241 on: September 07, 2012, 03:58:55 PM »

Also, once this vote is done, I think we oughta discuss our opinions on the Equal Rights Amendment... and possibly come up with some strategies to block its passage.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #242 on: September 07, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »

[1] SPC

[1] Columbia, South Carolina
[2] Little Switzerland, North Carolina
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #243 on: September 07, 2012, 05:41:53 PM »

[1] SPC

[1] Columbia, South Carolina
[2] Yellow Jacket, Colorado
[3] Little Switzerland, North Carolina
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #244 on: September 07, 2012, 05:44:59 PM »

I understand you won't be holding an endorsement vote in the Gubernatorial race. That's fine. Wink

I just want to take this opportunity to let you all know, that regardless of the results, the winner of this election will be the Mideast. We have two great candidates here, and while we have ideological and game reform differences on how to move this game forward, we're both active, competent, individuals.

If I'm elected as Governor, I'm sure many of you will be disappointed that your man ZuWo didn't win. Wink But let me assure you - under a Tmthforu94 Administration, when it comes to discussion and debate in our region, party labels are thrown out the window. I'm more than ready to work with all parties, including the Whigs, to create policies and reform that will benefit this game.

Thank you for your time,
Isaac Smiley
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #245 on: September 07, 2012, 06:32:08 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2012, 07:56:21 PM by Governor Spamage »

Abstain

Write-in: Salem, Oregon
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #246 on: September 08, 2012, 01:54:11 AM »

Oh dear, I've been ousted! I'd kind of like my job back...
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #247 on: September 08, 2012, 07:26:17 AM »

Mideast Endorsement:
SPC

Mideast Convention:
1: Columbia, SC
2. Truth, NM
3. Consequences, NM
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #248 on: September 08, 2012, 08:29:56 AM »

The city is actually called 'Truth or Consequences, NM' Truth and Consequences are not two separate cities Tongue
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #249 on: September 08, 2012, 08:31:16 AM »

[1] SPC

[1] Slaughterville, Oklahoma

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length