Whig Party Convention, Bird-in-Hand, PA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:33:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Whig Party Convention, Bird-in-Hand, PA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Whig Party Convention, Bird-in-Hand, PA  (Read 19834 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: July 31, 2012, 12:32:05 PM »

I agree with JCL... That shouldn't be in our bylaws.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 01:00:21 PM »

I know it's stubborn, but if I become HagridOfTheDeep (IB-SC), I have left the Whigs. SJoyce, you know I love the IB... But I joined the Whigs because that's where I felt I belonged, and I don't want that to change. And other than the membership swaps, I don't really see what this proposition would actually do. TJ and clarence didn't always vote the same, so obviously caucusing together wouldn't really matter; and endorsements don't really matter much either, because people will support who they're going to support. Mechaman didn't vote for any Whig whatsoever!

So to me, this proposition basically reaffirms the status quo with the exception of forcing me to join another party.

For the record, it was nothing personal.  I just had to preference the two joke candidates and SJoyce (since I'm a party hack who takes his marching orders explicitly from the Kremlin, err I mean the Imperial House).  By the time I got to my fifth preference any vote I gave any of you guys would've been non-existent (hell, do they even count votes past fifth preference?).
That, and admittedly there were a lot of kickass candidates to support.  Something that, sadly, would've affected my voting choices Sad.

With that said, I do agree with Hagrid's conclusions (though I am not a Whig, and probably won't ever consider myself one.  Sorry guys Sad).

You fine principled folks shouldn't have to change for anyone Smiley

Actually Mecha you're 5th preference is currently the one that ends up counting actually Tongue
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »

Guys I'm not sure I like the idea of merging with the IB. It's nothing against the IB; I often do give their candidates high preferences in national elections. But I think both the Whigs and IB have a slightly different appeal. The Whig Party is somewhat ideological and the IB is based on regional interests. These two groups may overlap for the most part, but I think it would cause unnecessary intra-party friction if we merged that can be avoided if we remain separate entities and simply cooperate.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 12:00:11 PM »

[1]Supersonic
[2]20RP12
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 01:59:21 PM »

Nay.

I support the federalist system outlined in the constitution instead.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 05:06:08 PM »

Also, is the Whig Liberty Caucus affiliated to the 'official' Whig party? It's acting as a party within a party.

It purports to be. I don't really have a problem with it, but it might be good to clarify the powers of subsidiary caucuses in our rules. Their ability to endorse a candidate isn't really official (a caucus endorsement would not appear on a presidential ballot), so I'd look into specifying that our caucuses would be able to make recommendations for endorsements. Kind of like how senate committees recommend whether or not legislation should be passed.

Hmm. Yes, some guidelines do need to be laid down because at the moment the Whig Liberty Caucus might as well be its own political party, not to mention they are most likely to endorse a non-Whig in the upcoming primary.

I'm also slightly worried that the Caucus is getting more attention that the actual base party. I'd like to see what Clarence thinks of this matter.

I agree... somewhat. Having a separate Liberty Caucus that does not in general endorse Whig candidates could be problematic. However, in this case, we arranged to have a primary with the MCPR and IB, so we shouldn't then try to rig the primary so the Whig candidate wins automatically because there are more members in the Whigs than IB or MCPR. That would make it sort of difficult to work with those other parties. By agreeeing to a 3-way primary, we have defacto agreed already that a candidate from the IB or MCPR would in general be acceptable to us. If the Liberty Caucus begins endorsing non-Whigs over Whigs in a general election, then yes there would be an issue.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 05:52:52 PM »

I've always wanted to have a convention in Truth or Consequences, NM.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 08:42:55 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2012, 08:45:20 PM by Madisonian for Mittens! »

Does anyone besides Goldwater intend to run for At-Large Senate?

20RP12 clearly did not intend to, Simfan left the party so votes for him are invalid, and JCL never declared he was running for At-Large Senate or voted for himself so votes for him can't be valid either.

So if the vote was for that, no one won Tongue

Edit: JCL clearly did. This is a mess. We should throw the vote out and start over.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 09:01:47 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2012, 09:15:19 PM by Madisonian for Mittens! »

So is Supersonic still the Chairman despite being absent? The election of 20RP12 was for vice-chairman, correct?

I'm fine with a reorganization, just a bit unsure of what the current "organization" for lack of a better term is.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies