Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2014, 07:19:39 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Off-topic Board (Moderators: Torie, The Mikado, Badger)
| | |-+  Peter Jackson must be stopped
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Peter Jackson must be stopped  (Read 1329 times)
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« on: July 30, 2012, 06:49:38 pm »
Ignore

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/jul/30/peter-jackson-hobbit-three-films

My poor, poor, poor childhood. What did it do to deserve this repeated mugging?

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 07:22:12 pm »
Ignore

How can there conceivably be enough material in even The Hobbit plus all relevant portions of The History of Middle-Earth with Roverandom or something thrown in for good measure for a trilogy?

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 09:24:27 pm »
Ignore

What's the big deal here? All the great trilogies have three parts.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 09:28:04 pm »
Ignore

What's the big deal here? All the great trilogies have three parts.

Hobbit wasn't a trilogy. It was one book. And of course all great trilogies have three parts. That's the definition.

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 01:09:59 am »
Ignore

I'm beginning to feel a little bit excited about how awful this is going to be.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 01:13:55 am »
Ignore

Meh, the Lord of the Rings trilogy is about as close to an epic masterpiece as you can get. Gonna give him the benefit of the doubt on this.

Thank you, Mr. President.
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 01:17:35 am »
Ignore

I'm beginning to feel a little bit excited about how awful this is going to be.

Just wait until you see it in 48 fps!

realisticidealist
YaBB God
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 01:24:29 am »
Ignore

How can there conceivably be enough material in even The Hobbit plus all relevant portions of The History of Middle-Earth with Roverandom or something thrown in for good measure for a trilogy?

Jackson also has access to Tolkein's original notes which I understand are very extensive. He's bringing in a lot of side material.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 03:36:10 am »
Ignore

I wasn't aware there were notes that Christopher hadn't already published in History.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 04:02:30 am »
Ignore

At this rate we'll never get another series of Sherlock
Senator bore
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 05:41:34 am »
Ignore

At this rate we'll never get another series of Sherlock

I wouldn't have thought so, because they've already finished the filming, so Freeman should be free for a new series regardless of whether there are two or three films.
The Mikado
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 09:49:05 am »

Apparently the new stuff in the movies is Gandalf's campaign against the Necromancer, which was only an excuse to have the all-powerful wizard ditch Bilbo etc. in the book so they could be put in real danger.  Basically they're going to expand Gandalf's lengthy monologue in Fellowship of the Ring into actual action.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 10:13:37 am »
Ignore

I have to agree with Lief on this. For better or worse, I trust Jackson not to ruin The Hobbit for me. xD

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 10:19:31 am »
Ignore

There isn't even material for two films, let alone three. A three part TV adaptation... possibly. But that's quite different. It's just not that sort of book, and what's so utterly alarming is that... urgh.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 10:23:06 am »
Ignore

Meh, the Lord of the Rings trilogy is about as close to an epic masterpiece as you can get. Gonna give him the benefit of the doubt on this.

Even if that is so, the Hobbit is a children's book, not an epic anything. This is not actually a bad thing either, of course, but means that in order to be adapted successfully it requires a different approach.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 10:25:00 am »
Ignore

I wasn't aware there were notes that Christopher hadn't already published in History.

I suppose what it might mean is that Jackson has been plundering Unfinished Tales.

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 10:29:31 am »
Ignore

...the Hobbit is a children's book, not an epic anything. This is not actually a bad thing either, of course, but means that in order to be adapted successfully it requires a different approach.

I couldn't agree more.  It would have been better to make the LOR trilogy into something more like 4-6 films (though obviously that would be awkward in various ways as well) than to blow up the charming The Hobbit this way.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

King
intermoderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 10:52:45 am »
Ignore

Hollywood has assumed the world's attention spans have completely died.   Epics like Lawrence of Arabia would have been cut as a trilogy today and even the original LOTR would probably have been 6 movies in the 2010s.

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 02:00:56 pm »
Ignore

How can there conceivably be enough material in even The Hobbit plus all relevant portions of The History of Middle-Earth  for a trilogy?
You'd need one (normal length movies) to do it justice, not that I assume Jackson could achieve that if he tried, just as LOTR would have needed to be twice the length it actually was (and all the invented crap cut out - and that's more than half of Jackson's second part).

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 02:35:36 pm »
Ignore

The Silmarillion could potentially be excellent as a many-part TV thing, but that'll never happen in such a way as to do it justice.

I suppose what it might mean is that Jackson has been plundering Unfinished Tales.

I did like that part of that book, but it doesn't have anything at all in common with The Hobbit.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 02:38:29 pm »
Ignore

See, that's good in that I like a lot of what's in Unfinished Tales a whole lot--I think some of it ranks in the best of Tolkien--but bad in that very little of it has anything to do with The Hobbit.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 12:57:15 am »
Ignore

What I hope is going on is that the Necromancer backstory will be largely pared away from the first two films and used to make a separate third film.

People find meaning and redemption in the most unusual human connections. ó Khaled Hosseini
Acting like I'm Morrissey w/o the wit
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 07:07:54 am »
Ignore

Hollywood has assumed the world's attention spans have completely died.   Epics like Lawrence of Arabia would have been cut as a trilogy today and even the original LOTR would probably have been 6 movies in the 2010s.

If we have to wait yet another year for a third part simply because they'd rather two-hour films than three, I'll be furious.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 11:19:17 pm »
Ignore

Hollywood has assumed the world's attention spans have completely died.   Epics like Lawrence of Arabia would have been cut as a trilogy today and even the original LOTR would probably have been 6 movies in the 2010s.

If we have to wait yet another year for a third part simply because they'd rather two-hour films than three, I'll be furious.

Why get paid twice when you can get paid thrice?

People find meaning and redemption in the most unusual human connections. ó Khaled Hosseini
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 12:18:18 am »
Ignore

I could see 2 movies, but not 3.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length