Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 09:22:08 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro To Deliver Dem Keynote Address
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro To Deliver Dem Keynote Address  (Read 756 times)
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:34:01 pm »
Ignore

Julian Castro, the mayor of San Antonio, has been tapped to deliver the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte.

Castro, a 37-year-old Stanford and Harvard graduate, has been hailed as an up-and-comer in Democratic politics. He is the first Hispanic to give the Democratic keynote address -- a speaking slot that catapulted a then-little known Barack Obama into the national spotlight in 2004.

Castro will speak on Tuesday, Sept. 4, which is the official start of the Democratic gathering in North Carolina. First lady Michelle Obama will also speak that night.
USA Today

Certainly unexpected.
A.G. Snowstalker
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:44:18 pm »
Ignore

We already had this somewhere, but it's cool that he's doing it. Based on his interview on Colbert, he seemed pretty cool.

Of course, on that day Fox News will have the headline "Castro Addresses Democrat Convention".

In Luang Prabang there is a spot
Where the corpses of your brothers rot
And every corpse is a patriot
And every corpse is a hero.
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 01:03:37 pm »
Ignore

We already had this somewhere, but it's cool that he's doing it. Based on his interview on Colbert, he seemed pretty cool.

Of course, on that day Fox News will have the headline "Castro Addresses Democrat Convention".

Yeah, the Tea Party is going to have a field day with this one.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 01:08:14 pm »
Ignore

WHO ?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 01:33:42 pm »
Ignore

obvious Rubio-shadowing

there's no ghosts in the graveyard, that's not where they live
they live in between a, 'what is' and 'what if?'
ℒief
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 01:34:27 pm »
Ignore

WHO ?

The mayor of San Antonio.

It seems like Lief's posts sometimes have a sexual tint to them. I've definitely seen references to spanking more than once.
Clinton 2016
diskymike44
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 01:38:53 pm »
Ignore

President Castro 2024! Tongue
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 01:40:26 pm »
Ignore

Pandering.

ajc0918
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 02:07:44 pm »
Ignore

I listened to his speech from the 2012 Texas Dem Convention and he's a decent speaker. Certainly he was chosen to connect the the latino/hispanic communities, but he is seen as a rising star in Texas.

Speaker Dereich
Dereich
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 02:24:17 pm »
Ignore

I listened to his speech from the 2012 Texas Dem Convention and he's a decent speaker. Certainly he was chosen to connect the the Latino/hispanic communities, but he is seen as a rising star in Texas.

I would think that associating yourself with the national Democratic party by being their keynote speaker would pretty quickly quash any rising star in Texas.
pbrower2a
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 02:45:07 pm »
Ignore

I listened to his speech from the 2012 Texas Dem Convention and he's a decent speaker. Certainly he was chosen to connect the the Latino/hispanic communities, but he is seen as a rising star in Texas.

I would think that associating yourself with the national Democratic party by being their keynote speaker would pretty quickly quash any rising star in Texas.

States can shift very far and very fast. Just look at Arkansas and West Virginia, states that Democratic nominees for President could not win without... until 2008.

Could it be that the Republican Party is getting stale and corrupt in Texas? Texas isn't Mississippi where people will vote for a crook or bungler of their own ethnicity rather than vote for an effective reformer who does not look like the voter.   

I speak of the political long term. In electoral politics 1976, the last year in which Texas voted for a Democratic nominee for President and in which California and Illinois both voted for a Republican in a non-blowout election, might as well be ancient history.

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49
Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 02:59:55 pm »
Ignore

When was the last time a Dem won statewide in TX? 1994? He has zero to lose.
Likely Voter
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 03:30:45 pm »
Ignore

Castro is a twofer for the Dems. It is a nice bit of short term pandering to the Hispanic base and it raises the profile of someone they see as a long term rising star, maybe someone who could help turn TX purple in a decade or so (when demographics are supposedly going to start helping dems in the state).

stegosaurus
YaBB God
United States

P
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 03:36:12 pm »
Ignore

...and you would be right, for the time being. I'm guessing that the Democrats are betting on demographic trends in Texas. As of the 2010 census, whites were 45% of the population where as Hispanics were 37%. This trend is the only hope Democrats have for a statewide win going forward and that's probably why they are propping up Castro, who is the only remotely strong candidate on the TXDP bench.

liberty or death.
TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 05:21:44 pm »
Ignore

Relevant information on Castro for those who are interested:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/09/magazine/09Mayor-t.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITScnHWdvjA

Economic score: -6.26
Social score: -7.74
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 06:43:10 pm »
Ignore

His brother is running for a pretty safe House seat as I understand it. Could Mayor Castro run for another House seat at some point, or is any upward path for him more likely to be statewide or appointed?

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
ℒief
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 06:47:13 pm »
Ignore

He could run in TX-35 when Lloyd Doggett retires.

It seems like Lief's posts sometimes have a sexual tint to them. I've definitely seen references to spanking more than once.
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 06:51:43 pm »
Ignore

As another possibility, what about TX-15 post-Hinojosa? Doesn't that go into or next to Bexar now?

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout