Bryan, Wilson and Roosevelt? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:56:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Bryan, Wilson and Roosevelt? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bryan, Wilson and Roosevelt?  (Read 3670 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 31, 2012, 09:36:41 PM »

I tend to view Wilson and Roosevelt as a far more upper-class, intellectual brand of liberalism, though obviously one still oriented towards helping the "common man". Bryan was much more down-to-earth in that sense. As well, Wilson and Roosevelt were of the a more urban "progressive" background while Bryan was of the "populist" orientation. Though one sort of preceded/worked alongside/was counterpart to the other, there's a divide, IMO. Although, if it weren't for Byan's endorsement at the 1912 DNC, it's unlikely that Wilson would have even been nominated.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:42:55 PM »

I tend to view Wilson and Roosevelt as a far more upper-class, intellectual brand of liberalism, though obviously one still oriented towards helping the "common man". Bryan was much more down-to-earth in that sense. As well, Wilson and Roosevelt were of the a more urban "progressive" background while Bryan was of the "populist" orientation. Though one sort of preceded/worked alongside/was counterpart to the other, there's a divide, IMO. Although, if it weren't for Byan's endorsement at the 1912 DNC, it's unlikely that Wilson would have even been nominated.

So Bryan's closest political heir was probably Truman, though Hubert Humphrey might have been even closer had he reached the White House.

I'd never thought of it that way, but good point. Both were from an area much closer to Bryan's, namely the area right around where the Mid-West becomes the West. Truman especially IMO, though it seems they lost the Christian Democrat thing along the way and it became more solely economics than was Bryan's style. From what I remember reading, Truman actually served as a page at one of the DNC's that nominated Bryan, and later credited Bryan with saving liberalism in the Democratic party.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:02:47 AM »

I'd never thought of it that way, but good point. Both were from an area much closer to Bryan's, namely the area right around where the Mid-West becomes the West. Truman especially IMO, though it seems they lost the Christian Democrat thing along the way and it became more solely economics than was Bryan's style. From what I remember reading, Truman actually served as a page at one of the DNC's that nominated Bryan, and later credited Bryan with saving liberalism in the Democratic party.

Was it so much saving as reviving from the dead?

Had the Democratic Party been liberal by any reasonable definnition since about the 1850s?

Eh, that's a whole 'nother argument about what the meaning of liberalism, who was truly conservative, who was truly liberal, yaddah yaddah yaddah. That requires a look back all the way to post-revolutionary politics, IMO.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:17:42 PM »

Oldie, I think it depends on the President. I mean, from what I remember, Grant upheld gold even in the face of the 1873 Panic. But Eight years after his re-election, a vehemently pro-silver Republican, James Garfield, was elected. Harrison as well counts as pro-silver while McKinley was a moderate on the issue. As for socially conservative, that comes down to defining the term, though I'd define McKinley as "socially liberal", but in '20's, I think it's safe to say the GOP was socially conservative, especially when they were up against Al Smith.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »

It's possible that many things now viewed as socially conservative would have been "progressive" during that time.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »

It's possible that many things now viewed as socially conservative would have been "progressive" during that time.

Yes, "progressive" but not "liberal".

There is a reason why historians rarely refer to politicians like Theodore Roosevelt and Bob LaFollette as "liberals".

Eh, I see your point.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 03:06:22 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yup! Grin
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies