Controversial Tennessee mosque to open
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:21:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Controversial Tennessee mosque to open
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Controversial Tennessee mosque to open  (Read 3707 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2012, 04:38:21 PM »

In fairness to PP, isn't it safe to say that Nashville is a particularly cosmopolitan city (culturally at least) compared to most of Tennessee, or even the entire South?

But again, the Ground Zero Mosque experience shows that buttheads are everywhere.

I definately wouldn't call Nashville cosmopolitan, but it is an actual city, which puts it somewhat ahead of most of the South. It votes moderately Democratic only because it's the rare Upper South city with a decent sized black population. It's the headquarters for country music, the Southern Baptists, and the Tennessee state government, all bastions of liberalism Tongue You can imagine how the suburbs are there. If you're looking for a Southern city with a more metropolitan feel, I'd recommend Raleigh, Charlotte, or Atlanta. And FWIW, Downtown Chattanooga easily has the best "going out" scene in the state.

Meh, at least Brentwood tries to be cosmopolitan. There are some fusion Asian places in Brentwood that are actually pretty good. Of course Murfreesboro and the other suburban areas of Nashville like Hendersonville, Gallatin and the like are a different sort of place. I live in between Brentwood and the Nolensville Pike area, which looks a little run down, but is filled with immigrants from all over leading to many good food choices at decent prices. It's not bad at all.
Don't take it personally. People from Memphis love to talk trash on Nashville. And vice versa. And Williamson County is obviously the premier suburban area, just like Germantown and Collierville are here.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2012, 04:59:12 PM »

In fairness to PP, isn't it safe to say that Nashville is a particularly cosmopolitan city (culturally at least) compared to most of Tennessee, or even the entire South?

But again, the Ground Zero Mosque experience shows that buttheads are everywhere.

I definately wouldn't call Nashville cosmopolitan, but it is an actual city, which puts it somewhat ahead of most of the South. It votes moderately Democratic only because it's the rare Upper South city with a decent sized black population. It's the headquarters for country music, the Southern Baptists, and the Tennessee state government, all bastions of liberalism Tongue You can imagine how the suburbs are there. If you're looking for a Southern city with a more metropolitan feel, I'd recommend Raleigh, Charlotte, or Atlanta. And FWIW, Downtown Chattanooga easily has the best "going out" scene in the state.

Re: country music...

I get the impression that the younger, more alt-country artists in Nashville (and elsewhere, for that matter) are a lot more left-wing than the corporate acts, in general. Also, isn't Nashville now home to a lot of musicians, of many different genres?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2012, 12:43:41 AM »

Yeah, it's not like everyone listens to country music there.....
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2012, 03:13:28 PM »

Oh fine, I admit it; it is because of my stereotypical mental image of Tennessee as rednecks that it seemed odd that Muslims would live there, and I have been wrong to think about that stereotype as truth. Happy?

You'd be surprised. My own natural tendency would be to assume that the overwhelming majority of people would be like me and live in large coastal urban areas, but it's not at all uncommon to run into someone from Alabama or Indiana or the like. My dad lived in Utah for a while.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies