Gov. Strickland rails against "shameful" GOP voter-suppression laws
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:43:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gov. Strickland rails against "shameful" GOP voter-suppression laws
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gov. Strickland rails against "shameful" GOP voter-suppression laws  (Read 2203 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2012, 11:31:19 PM »
« edited: August 01, 2012, 12:07:47 AM by MilesC56 »

Full story/interview here.

I think Strickland did a very good job of laying out the Democrats' stance:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:35:01 PM »

Didn't Strickland, you know, lose?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 11:51:24 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2012, 11:54:06 PM by Senator TJ »

Yikes, I'm still wondering how I could have actually considered voting for this guy (and reminded why I didn't). You would think with a statement like that one the GOP actually did enact a poll tax. Maybe we ought to next time? What would Strickland say, the exact same thing?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:20:18 AM »

FF
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 09:26:15 AM »

Sounds like he is hyperbolizing in an effort to inflame the emotions of potentially soft liberal support for Obama so as to ensure they turn out and volunteer.

Voter ID itself is a good policy. How it is enacted is where you need to be carefull to ensure no one is disenfranchised by it.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 09:30:37 AM »

How is it that among 16 million people in Georgia and Indiana over several elections, the Democrats have failed to locate a single case of voter 'suppression' and produce it in a court of law?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 11:14:49 AM »

How is it that among 16 million people in Georgia and Indiana over several elections, the Democrats have failed to locate a single case of voter 'suppression' and produce it in a court of law?

Switch Democrats for Republicans and suppression for fraud, and I could say the same thing.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »

Switch Democrats for Republicans and suppression for fraud, and I could say the same thing.

But you'd be grossly incorrect, because Republicans have made cases for fraud in a court of law. Several courts of law, in fact.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »

Lets face it, there are more Dems than Republicans. If 100% of eligible voters (a larger group than RV) voted, Dems would have majorities in congress and most states. Transversely things generally work out to where the lower the turnout the better it is for the GOP, so it is no surprise that they want to do what they can to keep turnout low. These laws are pretty clever as they are dressed up as preventing fraud but please lets all stop pretending we dont know whats going on here.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 12:39:13 PM »

Former Governor Strickland.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 12:44:21 PM »

The Strickland statement seems to be an assertion backed up by nothing. As long as one can get an ID for free and conveniently, I am not impressed with the Dems' argument that a penny's worth of suppression of ineligible voters costs a dollar's worth of suppression of legitimate voters. It seems more of a talking point to rile up the Dem base.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 04:18:05 PM »

But you'd be grossly incorrect, because Republicans have made cases for fraud in a court of law. Several courts of law, in fact.

Where's your evidence, and compared to how many possibly legitimate voters that have been removed from the voting rolls, how many fraudsters have been convicted?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »

Where's your evidence, and compared to how many possibly legitimate voters that have been removed from the voting rolls, how many fraudsters have been convicted?

Why don't you read Crawford v Marion County? It's all there and public knowledge. I'm sorry that you aren't aware of it, but I suspect that's merely a function of you choosing to willingly be ignorant.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 07:58:25 PM »

Why don't you read Crawford v Marion County? It's all there and public knowledge. I'm sorry that you aren't aware of it, but I suspect that's merely a function of you choosing to willingly be ignorant.

Give me statistics, not a Supreme Court case.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 09:20:48 PM »

Give me statistics, not a Supreme Court case.

I did. Your statistic is a big fat zero. You didn't like it. Given that the number of demonstrated cases of voter fraud is non-zero, it's obvious which is greater.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 09:41:14 AM »

Voter ID skyrockets in popularity,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/poll-concerns-about-voter-fraud-spur-broad-support-for-voter-id-laws/2012/08/11/40db3aba-e2fb-11e1-ae7f-d2a13e249eb2_story.html

74% support! Few things in America have 74% support.

Opposition is limited to a bunch of screaming whining lunatics.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/poll-concerns-about-voter-fraud-spur-broad-support-for-voter-id-laws/2012/08/11/40db3aba-e2fb-11e1-ae7f-d2a13e249eb2_story.html

Opposition is limited to a bunch of screaming whining lunatics[/ui].

Is the underlined your new euphemism for Black People?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 12:48:20 AM »

Opposition is limited to a bunch of screaming whining lunatics.

Those are about the number of people who disapproved of blacks and whites marrying when SCOTUS ruled on Loving v. Virginia.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 01:23:40 AM »

Because what's being done, while unethical, may, technically, be 'legal' would be my guess.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 08:53:57 AM »

Because what's being done, while unethical, may, technically, be 'legal' would be my guess.

I would hazard a guess that finding such a single individual would strengthen their case of getting such to be declared illegal, compared to the current Godzilla/UFO argument.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 09:07:58 AM »

Voter ID marches onward in Pennsylvania. Haha, whiners lose again!

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/08/voter_id_law_is_still_on_penns.html
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 11:22:57 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2012, 11:25:06 AM by Senator Sbane »

The Strickland statement seems to be an assertion backed up by nothing. As long as one can get an ID for free and conveniently, I am not impressed with the Dems' argument that a penny's worth of suppression of ineligible voters costs a dollar's worth of suppression of legitimate voters. It seems more of a talking point to rile up the Dem base.

Can you get an ID for free in Ohio? Or in Pennsylvania for that matter?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 04:23:15 PM »

Why, exactly, do you like and care about this issue so much?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 11:31:03 PM »

I'd be curious to hear from our Canadian posters. There is a voter ID law there and if it has a disparate impact on minorities or seniors there should be some data from Canada to use in comparison.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 12:06:34 AM »

Can you get an ID for free in Ohio? Or in Pennsylvania for that matter?

Another thing to keep in mind is that even if the ID is provided for free, the underlying documents needed to get that ID often are not.

I had to get a copy of my birth certificate a few years ago and that took quite a bit of time to process in addition to the fee. I imagine it's even more frustrating when you've moved to a different state and have to do things through the mail.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies