Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 07:15:24 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Gov. Strickland rails against "shameful" GOP voter-suppression laws
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Gov. Strickland rails against "shameful" GOP voter-suppression laws  (Read 1368 times)
Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: 3.65

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2012, 11:31:19 pm »
Ignore

Full story/interview here.

I think Strickland did a very good job of laying out the Democrats' stance:

STRICKLAND: The voter suppression efforts that were seeing in multiple states across the country is shameful behavior on the part of the Republicans in those states. Its a national coordinated effort, in my judgement. They are doing it without shame. It is a threat to our democracy. [...] I think every Republican should be embarrassed at whats happening within their party in terms of trying to deprive Americans of the right to vote. There is no question in my mind they are targeting poor people, and minority individuals, students, and some older people in terms of the requirements they are trying to put in place. [...] And there are minorities in this country that have a history of being deprived their legitimate right to vote, and we used to have the poll tax. In my judgment, requiring a photo ID and some of these other measures that are being suggested are equivalent to enacting a poll tax.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:07:47 am by MilesC56 »Logged

IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:35:01 pm »
Ignore

Didn't Strickland, you know, lose?

Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 11:51:24 pm »
Ignore

Yikes, I'm still wondering how I could have actually considered voting for this guy (and reminded why I didn't). You would think with a statement like that one the GOP actually did enact a poll tax. Maybe we ought to next time? What would Strickland say, the exact same thing?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:54:06 pm by Senator TJ »Logged
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:20:18 am »
Ignore

FF

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 09:26:15 am »
Ignore

Sounds like he is hyperbolizing in an effort to inflame the emotions of potentially soft liberal support for Obama so as to ensure they turn out and volunteer.

Voter ID itself is a good policy. How it is enacted is where you need to be carefull to ensure no one is disenfranchised by it.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 09:30:37 am »
Ignore

How is it that among 16 million people in Georgia and Indiana over several elections, the Democrats have failed to locate a single case of voter 'suppression' and produce it in a court of law?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 11:14:49 am »
Ignore

How is it that among 16 million people in Georgia and Indiana over several elections, the Democrats have failed to locate a single case of voter 'suppression' and produce it in a court of law?

Switch Democrats for Republicans and suppression for fraud, and I could say the same thing.
krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 11:28:06 am »
Ignore

Switch Democrats for Republicans and suppression for fraud, and I could say the same thing.

But you'd be grossly incorrect, because Republicans have made cases for fraud in a court of law. Several courts of law, in fact.
Likely Voter
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 12:12:15 pm »
Ignore

Lets face it, there are more Dems than Republicans. If 100% of eligible voters (a larger group than RV) voted, Dems would have majorities in congress and most states. Transversely things generally work out to where the lower the turnout the better it is for the GOP, so it is no surprise that they want to do what they can to keep turnout low. These laws are pretty clever as they are dressed up as preventing fraud but please lets all stop pretending we dont know whats going on here.

--
Kalwejt
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 12:39:13 pm »
Ignore

Former Governor Strickland.
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 12:44:21 pm »
Ignore

The Strickland statement seems to be an assertion backed up by nothing. As long as one can get an ID for free and conveniently, I am not impressed with the Dems' argument that a penny's worth of suppression of ineligible voters costs a dollar's worth of suppression of legitimate voters. It seems more of a talking point to rile up the Dem base.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 04:18:05 pm »
Ignore

But you'd be grossly incorrect, because Republicans have made cases for fraud in a court of law. Several courts of law, in fact.

Where's your evidence, and compared to how many possibly legitimate voters that have been removed from the voting rolls, how many fraudsters have been convicted?
krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 05:19:17 pm »
Ignore

Where's your evidence, and compared to how many possibly legitimate voters that have been removed from the voting rolls, how many fraudsters have been convicted?

Why don't you read Crawford v Marion County? It's all there and public knowledge. I'm sorry that you aren't aware of it, but I suspect that's merely a function of you choosing to willingly be ignorant.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 07:58:25 pm »
Ignore

Why don't you read Crawford v Marion County? It's all there and public knowledge. I'm sorry that you aren't aware of it, but I suspect that's merely a function of you choosing to willingly be ignorant.

Give me statistics, not a Supreme Court case.
krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 09:20:48 pm »
Ignore

Give me statistics, not a Supreme Court case.

I did. Your statistic is a big fat zero. You didn't like it. Given that the number of demonstrated cases of voter fraud is non-zero, it's obvious which is greater.

krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 09:41:14 am »
Ignore

Voter ID skyrockets in popularity,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/poll-concerns-about-voter-fraud-spur-broad-support-for-voter-id-laws/2012/08/11/40db3aba-e2fb-11e1-ae7f-d2a13e249eb2_story.html

74% support! Few things in America have 74% support.

Opposition is limited to a bunch of screaming whining lunatics.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 09:46:00 am »
Ignore

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/poll-concerns-about-voter-fraud-spur-broad-support-for-voter-id-laws/2012/08/11/40db3aba-e2fb-11e1-ae7f-d2a13e249eb2_story.html

Opposition is limited to a bunch of screaming whining lunatics[/ui].

Is the underlined your new euphemism for Black People?

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 12:48:20 am »
Ignore

Opposition is limited to a bunch of screaming whining lunatics.

Those are about the number of people who disapproved of blacks and whites marrying when SCOTUS ruled on Loving v. Virginia.
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 01:23:40 am »
Ignore

Because what's being done, while unethical, may, technically, be 'legal' would be my guess.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 08:53:57 am »
Ignore

Because what's being done, while unethical, may, technically, be 'legal' would be my guess.

I would hazard a guess that finding such a single individual would strengthen their case of getting such to be declared illegal, compared to the current Godzilla/UFO argument.
krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 09:07:58 am »
Ignore

Voter ID marches onward in Pennsylvania. Haha, whiners lose again!

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/08/voter_id_law_is_still_on_penns.html
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 11:22:57 am »
Ignore

The Strickland statement seems to be an assertion backed up by nothing. As long as one can get an ID for free and conveniently, I am not impressed with the Dems' argument that a penny's worth of suppression of ineligible voters costs a dollar's worth of suppression of legitimate voters. It seems more of a talking point to rile up the Dem base.

Can you get an ID for free in Ohio? Or in Pennsylvania for that matter?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:25:06 am by Senator Sbane »Logged
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 04:23:15 pm »
Ignore

Voter ID marches onward in Pennsylvania. Haha, whiners lose again!

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/08/voter_id_law_is_still_on_penns.html

Why, exactly, do you like and care about this issue so much?

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
muon2
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 11:31:03 pm »
Ignore

I'd be curious to hear from our Canadian posters. There is a voter ID law there and if it has a disparate impact on minorities or seniors there should be some data from Canada to use in comparison.

Lunar Eclipse of April 15, 2014 with the star Spica.
greenforest32
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 12:06:34 am »
Ignore

Can you get an ID for free in Ohio? Or in Pennsylvania for that matter?

Another thing to keep in mind is that even if the ID is provided for free, the underlying documents needed to get that ID often are not.

I had to get a copy of my birth certificate a few years ago and that took quite a bit of time to process in addition to the fee. I imagine it's even more frustrating when you've moved to a different state and have to do things through the mail.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout