Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 02:39:46 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Grad Students are the Worst, Torie, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Québec: Preferred Premier/Prime Minister
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Or whichever way you want to translate it
Jean Charest (Parti Libéral du Québec)   -4 (14.3%)
Pauline Marois (Parti Québécois)   -7 (25%)
François Legault (Coalition Avenir Québec)   -4 (14.3%)
Amir Khadir (Québec Solidaire)   -13 (46.4%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Québec: Preferred Premier/Prime Minister  (Read 710 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2012, 04:47:50 pm »
Ignore

Discuss.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:49:31 pm by Bain Capital »Logged

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 05:12:20 pm »
Ignore

That depends on whether or not in this scenario I am Quebécois (or not).

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'

Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 05:31:35 pm »
Ignore

For me the choice is obvious, Quebecois or not (go Charest!). Although honestly if it was necessary I would support any of the three to stop Khadir.

I apologize for being so adamantly right.
Acting like I'm Morrissey w/o the wit
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 05:34:29 pm »
Ignore

QS.

change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 05:53:09 pm »
Ignore

For me the choice is obvious, Quebecois or not (go Charest!). Although honestly if it was necessary I would support any of the three to stop Khadir.

You're faced with Charest, Marois and Legault and Khadir is the the one you'd want to stop? Roll Eyes

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 05:55:32 pm »
Ignore

Charest, speaking as a Québécois.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 05:59:20 pm »
Ignore

You're faced with Charest, Marois and Legault and Khadir is the the one you'd want to stop? Roll Eyes

Throwing shoes at Bush, organizing anti-Israeli boycotts, ranting about the awfulness of neoliberalism. Quebec solidaire includes openly communist and Marxist groups...of course Khadir is the one I want to stop.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 06:01:33 pm »
Ignore

But he doesn't actually stand a chance of becoming Premier so... er...

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 06:02:46 pm »
Ignore

Only Charest or Marois have a shot at becoming Premier, and I'd put odds on Charest simply because he's the better campaigner and this election will be won in the campaign.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 09:59:27 pm »
Ignore

But he doesn't actually stand a chance of becoming Premier so... er...

I know that, but the poll offers him as a choice, so I point out that my support for Charest is conditional on QS having no chance.

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 10:17:05 pm »
Ignore

QS doesn't have a chance at anything except perhaps siphoning votes away from Marois in places where she'd need them to form government.

7.35, 3.65

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 01:48:16 am »
Ignore

PQ is the least bad with the best chance, so Marois.

PASOK Leader Hashemite
Hashemite
Moderators
YaBB God
South Africa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 05:45:02 am »
Ignore

None of the above, but definitely Charest the Crook.

SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 09:26:14 am »
Ignore

If I were Quebécois, then Legault, but since I'm not, Khadir, for the reasons Vosem named, plus the fact he may be funding his own militia in Iran.

Holmes
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 05:17:14 pm »
Ignore

Throwing shoes at Bush, organizing anti-Israeli boycotts, ranting about the awfulness of neoliberalism. Quebec solidaire includes openly communist and Marxist groups...of course Khadir is the one I want to stop.

Well, sign me up? Especially since I don't support Charest or separatists. Smiley

change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 10:19:29 am »
Ignore

Definitely worth a bump.

I just voted Legault, despite hating all three. I'd vote Liberal or CAQ in my riding, depending on who's more likely to win.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 11:07:04 am »
Ignore

To attempt to answer this question is difficult. I would vote against the Liberal candidate wherever I happened to live, I suspect.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 11:13:35 am »
Ignore

I'll take the Liberals, corrupt as they are, over anti-Anglophone bigots. Voted Khadir though.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 11:15:13 am »
Ignore

I'll take the Liberals, corrupt as they are, over anti-Anglophone bigots. Voted Khadir though.

Sort've my thinking.

This is such a messed up election and i'm so glad i'm not a Quebecois today.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 11:19:29 am »
Ignore

The language laws are supported by all major parties in Quebec.

Hatman
EarlAW
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.97, S: -6.00

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 11:28:37 am »
Ignore

I cannot stomach any of the three major parties, so I picked Khadir. Though, I would probably not vote QS either. Im supporting the UCQ in ridings where they are running, and then the Greens and then QS.  But, I don't live in Quebec and thus don't have that dilemna.

Interestingly, my friend's parents are voting QS (they live in the Pontiac riding). His mom showed up to his birthday party with an orange "Debout" pin. Didn't say QS on it, so I didnt realize it was political til later. It's strange because my friend is pretty right wing, and his parents don't seem that left wing. But, they're public servants.

I have debated moving to Quebec in the past. The rent there is cheaper, and I could get my drivers licenced bumped up without taking another test.

http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.com

Follow me on Twitter @EarlWashburn
Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 03:37:58 pm »
Ignore

The language laws are supported by all major parties in Quebec.

This cannot be stressed enough. I understand, us being mostly anglophone around these parts, but the reason these laws exist have their history and their purpose, and making the decision, even as an outsider, to vote for someone or not in this poll based solely on "anglophone bigotry" is shallower than shallow.

PQ are interested in silly petty games with the federal government to boost support for sovereignty and to play the victim a lot. They're also a (reasonably) progressive party that doesn't want to shaft all of the students with absurd tuition raises (PLQ) or starve the public sector, including Hydro-Quebec, for no reason other than ideological ones (CAQ), and are at least the most coherent and consistent of the three main parties (particularly, more than the CAQ).

At the end of the day, the PQ is a Social Democratic party with a Nationalist bent. That's all there really is to it. Sovereignty is almost certainly not going anywhere, and given that all of the other parties support the status-quo when it comes to language, the PQ isn't, effectively, going to be that much more nationalist in policy than the others, aside from a few token anti-Harper fits. Let's all save the cheap shots (such as comparing them to Front National...) and stupid "Pauline Marois is just like Hitler, she hates us anglos, she wants to put us in camps, i'm no jew!" stuff for YouTube comments.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:39:43 pm by Marokai Béliqueux »Logged

Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 04:23:29 pm »
Ignore

Khadir ideally, but I'd vote PQ.

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

It REALLY is.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
後援会
koenkai
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 05:05:04 pm »
Ignore

At the end of the day, the PQ is a Social Democratic party with a Racist bent. That's all there really is to it.

Fixed. Quebec has never been a friendly place for visible minorities and considering Marois's embarrassing double-standard on religious symbols and then further considering she's what passes for a "moderate" in the PQ, it will probably continue to be such a place.

The opinions and views expressed above are mine alone and do not represent the opinions or views of any other individual, organization, or government.
Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 05:15:00 pm »
Ignore

Yawn. Calling it racist is Not Getting It.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout