Québec: Preferred Premier/Prime Minister (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:44:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Québec: Preferred Premier/Prime Minister (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Or whichever way you want to translate it
Jean Charest (Parti Libéral du Québec)

Pauline Marois (Parti Québécois)

François Legault (Coalition Avenir Québec)

Amir Khadir (Québec Solidaire)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Québec: Preferred Premier/Prime Minister  (Read 1556 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: August 01, 2012, 05:31:35 PM »

That depends on whether or not in this scenario I am Quebécois (or not).

For me the choice is obvious, Quebecois or not (go Charest!). Although honestly if it was necessary I would support any of the three to stop Khadir.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 05:59:20 PM »

That depends on whether or not in this scenario I am Quebécois (or not).

For me the choice is obvious, Quebecois or not (go Charest!). Although honestly if it was necessary I would support any of the three to stop Khadir.

You're faced with Charest, Marois and Legault and Khadir is the the one you'd want to stop? Roll Eyes

Throwing shoes at Bush, organizing anti-Israeli boycotts, ranting about the awfulness of neoliberalism. Quebec solidaire includes openly communist and Marxist groups...of course Khadir is the one I want to stop.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:59:27 PM »

But he doesn't actually stand a chance of becoming Premier so... er...

I know that, but the poll offers him as a choice, so I point out that my support for Charest is conditional on QS having no chance.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:57:50 PM »

Khadir is still awful (and, Holmes, he's also a separatist on top of that), Marois isn't an option, but having learned more about this election, I'm increasingly rooting for Legault as Premier over Charest. Luc Harvey (CPQ, a minor party), like RB said, would be nice; a more explicitly federalist version of the CAQ which approves of Harper? Sign me up! But, ultimately, it would very much come down to where in Quebec I am; in preferred order of parties that have a chance in at least one seat, CAQ, PLQ, PQ, ON, QS. So I would determine who the favorite(s) are and then vote for whoever on that list has the highest chance of victory. With some exceptions (I'd probably vote for Lawrence Bergman over a CAQ candidate, for instance).

I hope the PQ wins, if only to bolster future support for the Bloc and displace a bit of the Orange Crush in 2015.

That's shallow; provincial government in Canada is (as I understand it) more powerful than US state government, and to me the idea of voting for a candidate, hoping they fail, to try to bring down a different candidate by guilt by association is just not appealing whatsoever. Vote for who you hope wins; in very multi-party Quebec, it should be underlined that you vote for the candidate, not the party; that you vote for a local representative, not a Premier; and that you should take into account who has a chance and who doesn't.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies