Mitt's tax plan: Cut taxes for the rich, raise them on everyone else
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:19:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitt's tax plan: Cut taxes for the rich, raise them on everyone else
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Mitt's tax plan: Cut taxes for the rich, raise them on everyone else  (Read 13197 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2012, 08:18:19 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/study-romney-tax-plan-would-result-in-cuts-for-rich-higher-burden-for-others/2012/08/01/gJQAbeCCOX_story.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If you're not a millionaire and you're voting for this guy, you're an idiot.
cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2012, 08:50:34 PM by cavalcade »

George W. Bush cut taxes for everyone, or at least the overwhelming majority of the country.  Were people who voted against him idiots?

Edit: Romney's and Obama's tax proposals are academic anyway.  The question is what would pass the House and Senate, and my guess- guess!- is that the answer is neither.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:53:14 PM »

George W. Bush cut taxes for everyone, or at least the overwhelming majority of the country.  Were people who voted against him idiots?

Did you bother to read before posting?  The study found that if Romney does what he says he wants in taxes, only a small minority at the top would benefit with an overwhelming majority seeing a tax hike.
cavalcade

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 09:12:14 PM »

George W. Bush cut taxes for everyone, or at least the overwhelming majority of the country.  Were people who voted against him idiots?

Did you bother to read before posting?  The study found that if Romney does what he says he wants in taxes, only a small minority at the top would benefit with an overwhelming majority seeing a tax hike.

Yes.  The implied argument in the OP is that people should vote for the candidate who offers them lower taxes than the other, or they are idiots; Obama offers middle-class Americans lower taxes than Romney, according to the study; therefore, middle-class Americans who vote for Romney are idiots.  Surely the same logic should apply to other elections, no?  And surely millionaires voting for Obama over Romney are idiots?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »

No, the implied argument is that people shouldn't vote for politicians that want to take away their money to give to the rich. If Mitt Romney were proposing that we raise taxes on all Americans to fight the deficit, that would be one thing; but he's literally proposing that we raise taxes on 95% of America so that the rich get to keep more of their money.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 09:22:38 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2012, 09:25:54 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

The House voted today to raise taxes on the non-rich.  They voted 256-171 to end the Obama tax cuts on the non-rich but keep the Bush tax cuts. They voted 170-255 against extending the existing tax cuts on the non-rich.

This seems like it should be a winning issue for the Democrats to stand firm on, but they will no doubt capitulate as usual.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 09:28:32 PM »

From what I've read it seems like Romney's arguing that the study doesn't fully account for the increased revenues that will come from private sector growth.

I don't know enough about it to really argue, but I see what he means.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 09:31:31 PM »

From what I've read it seems like Romney's arguing that the study doesn't fully account for the increased revenues that will come from private sector growth.

Romney is full of sh**t, as usual.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 09:32:23 PM »

How so?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 09:32:34 PM »

A flat tax would be the fair way to go, I say.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 09:40:57 PM »

Ahhhhh...

the pervasive liberal I am smart, you are dumb argument. Very refreshing.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 09:49:01 PM »

Tax cuts don't increase revenues. Wrong side of the Laffer Curve.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 09:54:14 PM »

Well the whole economic basis of this is an ideological talking point that the Bush tax cuts did nothing to support. In really difficult times, the rich save their money, they don't risk investing it in a sluggish economic environment.
cavalcade

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 10:05:27 PM »

...he's literally proposing that we raise taxes on 95% of America so that the rich get to keep more of their money.

That is what is likely to happen if you "broaden the base and lower rates" as they call it, yes.

Yep, the peak is in Sweden territory or something like that.  Like 70%.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 10:55:12 PM »

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 12:47:52 AM »

a) what rate?
b) what exemptions would apply?
c) what programs would have to die to make up the shortfall in Government revenues?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 01:12:40 AM »

a) what rate?
b) what exemptions would apply?
c) what programs would have to die to make up the shortfall in Government revenues?

why even engage?  they're genocidal maniacs
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 07:27:28 AM »

A flat tax is completely unfair.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 09:20:14 AM »

The rate would have to be ~22% for the flat tax to be revenue neutral. Consider that while considering that our current tax rates do not provide enough revenue to meet our obligations. The flat tax would be a catalyst for economic fallout, and an effective tax increase on virtually everyone; especially if the reform were to scrap most deductions, as the Heritage Foundation has suggested.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 11:28:04 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2012, 11:30:08 AM by Retroactively Retired Voter »

The Tax Policy Institute actually did even run the model with generous growth assumptions and still concluded that the only way to remain revenue neutral Romney's plan would have to raise taxes on the middle to pay for the 1%. But of course Romney would never actually propose such a thing, what he is proposing is something that just doesn't add up.

Romney is saying he will keep Bush tax cuts, add new tax cuts, increase defense spending, and maintain revenue. He has also talked about balancing the budget.   When asked for what he would cut in terms of spending and tax exemptions he refuses to say so its impossible to score but basic common sense says that it just wont add up.

The question is, can he go through an entire campaign by saying "I'll give you the details after I'm elected".

Remember it was Romney who was pretty hard on Cain back when he and 999 were riding high. It was Romney pressing him in the debates for details, like how it created a new sales tax on top of current sales taxes. And, ironically, it was Romney's campaign that touted this same Tax Policy Institute when it pointed out the problems in Perry's tax plan.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 01:14:46 PM »

No, flat incomes would be the 'fair' way to go.
ajb
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 05:11:17 PM »

The Tax Policy Institute actually did even run the model with generous growth assumptions and still concluded that the only way to remain revenue neutral Romney's plan would have to raise taxes on the middle to pay for the 1%. But of course Romney would never actually propose such a thing, what he is proposing is something that just doesn't add up.

Romney is saying he will keep Bush tax cuts, add new tax cuts, increase defense spending, and maintain revenue. He has also talked about balancing the budget.   When asked for what he would cut in terms of spending and tax exemptions he refuses to say so its impossible to score but basic common sense says that it just wont add up.

The question is, can he go through an entire campaign by saying "I'll give you the details after I'm elected".

Remember it was Romney who was pretty hard on Cain back when he and 999 were riding high. It was Romney pressing him in the debates for details, like how it created a new sales tax on top of current sales taxes. And, ironically, it was Romney's campaign that touted this same Tax Policy Institute when it pointed out the problems in Perry's tax plan.
In essence, Romney wants to run for president without being vetted.
Jacobtm

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 11:30:45 PM »

[link=https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=156857.0]The Overall Tax Burden is already pretty much flat.[/link]
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 12:17:58 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2012, 12:21:47 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

[link=https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=156857.0]The Overall Tax Burden is already pretty much flat.[/link]

Well, Romney paid 14% federal income taxes, and in his schedule A reports 4% state income and sales taxes, so the 18% ha paid is a lower percentage than all but the poorest 20% paid according to that table.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 01:55:24 AM »

In essence, Romney wants to run for president without being vetted.

Heaven forbid a candidate should want that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies