Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 10:16:37 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  SENATE BILL: Imports Labor Oversight Committee Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Imports Labor Oversight Committee Bill (Law'd)  (Read 1292 times)
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:54:56 pm »
Ignore

FoxConn Embargo & Creation of Import Labor Oversight Committee Bill

1) Embargo of all products manufactured at the plants where the suicides have occurred.
2) Creation of import oversight committee that would make recommendations to the Senate and the President to enact legislation to protect workers across the world.
3) Secretary position in the game which will give the recommendations of #2.

Sponsor: Seatown
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:37:24 pm by Senator North Carolina Yankee »Logged

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:58:01 pm »
Ignore

Seatown, you only have a "short time" to advocate for this (24 hours).

Sounds almost terminal doesn't it? I guarrantee it will be for the bill if you don't comply.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 10:10:30 pm »
Ignore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides
Pretty simple really, there is long history of Foxconn worker abuse of unimaginable scale, so the least we could do is not support it.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 10:14:15 pm »
Ignore

Also an amendment:

1) Embargo of all products manufactured at the plants where the suicides have occurred.
2) Creation of import oversight committee that would make recommendations to the Senate and the President to enact legislation to protect workers across the world.
3) GM, SoEA, and SoIA in the game will give the recommendations of action for the game(to fulfill #2)

Sponsor: Seatown
Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 10:15:03 pm »
Ignore

Foxconn's suicide rate per the size of its labor force is actually lower than the general population.

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 10:22:39 pm »
Ignore

Foxconn's suicide rate per the size of its labor force is actually lower than the general population.
Apples to oranges. What's the general population's suicide rate while working?
Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 10:24:18 pm »
Ignore

Apples to oranges. What's the general population's suicide rate while working?

So you're saying Foxconn saved workers' lives by offering them jobs?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/foremski/media-gets-its-facts-wrong-working-at-foxconn-significantly-cuts-suicide-risk/1356

Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 10:24:29 pm »
Ignore

I'm going to need some convincing on this.  I also need to hear from the SoEA and the GM on the geopolitical/economic impact of this bill; I'm currently leaning against it.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 11:03:39 pm »
Ignore

I echo Senator Ben's requests.  I am also going to have to be convinced on this.
Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 10:03:09 am »
Ignore

I concur with Ben and Scott thus far.

An emphasis on fair trade is important to me. Nonetheless, without an overview of what kind of impact this would have on people living and working in the places in question, I am quite reluctant to impose my moral worldview at the risk of diminishing the living conditions of the very people I would like to assist. Singling out FoxConn is also a little awkward from my perspective. Would it not be an even better idea to embargo all groups that are found to violate a certain set of standards concerning labor rights?

On the other hand, the committee you are proposing sounds like a great idea to me. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:05:32 am by Redalgo »Logged

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 10:46:51 am »
Ignore

I have always been very suspect of Populist causes, because typically they lead to people doing stuff out of emotional anger, which may not advance their cause. In the worst case they are self-defeating and counterproductive.

We must be carefull when engaging in a politically correct crusade to protect the poor, unfortunate people of the third world from sweat shops, that we don't get what we want to the extent that we drive them into the grave from starvation.

I thus add my name to the now fantastic four of Senators who need to be convinced. Tongue

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 10:48:39 am »
Ignore

Quote from: Amendment 50:22 by Seatown

3) GM, SoEA, and SoIA in the game will give the recommendations of action for the game(to fulfill #2)

Sponsor Feedback: Origination

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 01:55:58 am »
Ignore

So how about we just create a foreign labor relations department then?
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 02:20:39 am »
Ignore

Don't we already have the SoEA to deal with foreign labor relations, technically?
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 03:20:25 pm »
Ignore

Does the sponsor have a response to the Senator?

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 01:29:24 am »
Ignore

Don't we already have the SoEA to deal with foreign labor relations, technically?
Well do we have any funding for the IRL part, so creation of said department, and are there any examples of SoEA actually  dealing with foreign labor relations?
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 01:32:50 am »
Ignore

Well do we have any funding for the IRL part, so creation of said department, and are there any examples of SoEA actually  dealing with foreign labor relations?

I don't believe so, but that could become a priority of of the SoEA.  Formally assigning that duty is probably a more ideal way to approach this issue.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 07:38:00 pm »
Ignore

Missed this somehow with the addition of another page of posts.

The amendment has passed.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 05:52:09 pm »
Ignore

What is next on this?

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 01:01:40 am »
Ignore

What is next on this?
I'm going to amend it this and call a final vote

Bill reads as following following amendment:

FoxConn Embargo & Creation of Imports Labor Oversight Committee Bill

1) Creation of import oversight committee that would make recommendations to the Senate and the President to enact legislation to protect workers across the world. Funding $10 million per year.
2) GM, SoEA, and SoIA in the game will give the recommendations of action for the game to report the committee's findings.
3) Investigation of FoxConn plants.
Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 10:04:31 am »
Ignore

How will Atlasians get their iPad's and iPhones if this crazy bill passes? Can you imagine the damage it would do to one of Atlasia's most successful companies? Suicide is awful but frankly it happens. We may as well ban all goods coming from Asia.
Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 10:30:23 am »
Ignore

I strongly support the amendment proposed and now intend to cast a vote in the affirmative.

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 07:16:48 pm »
Ignore

Quote from: Amendment 50:27 by Seatown
FoxConn Embargo & Creation of Imports Labor Oversight Committee Bill

1) Creation of import oversight committee that would make recommendations to the Senate and the President to enact legislation to protect workers across the world. Funding $10 million per year.
2) GM, SoEA, and SoIA in the game will give the recommendations of action for the game to report the committee's findings.
3) Investigation of FoxConn plants.

Sponsor Feedback: Origination

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 07:39:23 pm »
Ignore

Amendment passed.

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 12:36:39 am »
Ignore

Go to a final vote if nobody objects?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length