SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:10:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security  (Read 18671 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2012, 02:43:23 PM »

Joyce, can you fill us in on the process?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2012, 02:49:13 PM »

Joyce, can you fill us in on the process?

On the SoEA selection process, on the nomination process, or what I'd do as SoEA, or...?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2012, 03:02:14 PM »

The application process.  Have you heard recently from the President?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2012, 03:04:05 PM »

The application process.  Have you heard recently from the President?

Yes; two days ago we discussed what policies I would pursue as SoEA.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2012, 03:06:17 PM »

Well, since you've been appointed, let's transition to a confirmation hearing!

Can you tell us how you would respond to the current crisis in Mali?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2012, 03:19:32 PM »

Which three foreign policy issues do you think are currently the most pressing?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2012, 03:25:15 PM »

Can you tell us how you would respond to the current crisis in Mali?

Al-Qaeda/Ansar Dine are a serious security threat to American citizens and their control of northern Mali is a major source of funding for al-Qaeda due to their kidnapping for ransoms. I think it's important to distinguish between MNLA, who are secular nationalists and who require a very nuanced stance on, and Ansar Dine, who are a part of al-Qaeda and require our unconditional opposition to: the people of northern Mali oppose Ansar Dine, I oppose Ansar Dine, Atlasia opposes Ansar Dine, and I have the mayor of Timbuktu describing their conditions under Ansar Dine as "a living hell". As for our solution to the problem, if confirmed I would attempt to visit the region if possible and attempt to mediate a solution, or attempt to get a local nation to mediate in the conflict, Algeria or someone, an African-led or ECOWAS-led solution. I do not believe that American military intervention is necessary at this time, and I do not foresee it being necessary unless all possible political efforts are exhausted. Our future moves in the region also depend on whether Mali holds free elections any time soon after the coup that took place in March; coup leader Amadou Sanogo has said that he is going to re-establish the Constituion and institutions and reinstitute civilian control, and the question is if he will actually do so. Regardless, our #1 aim is the removal of Ansar Dine.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2012, 03:43:58 PM »

Which three foreign policy issues do you think are currently the most pressing?

#1 Issue: Political reforms in the Middle East and North Africa, specifically our policy towards political reform in Iran and the Arab World, as well as how we deal with rising Islamist movements/the Muslim Brotherhood and the rule of law/democracy in general worldwide.

#2 Issue: Nuclear weapons, namely Iranian nuclear proliferation and concerns surrounding nuclear energy, disarmament, arms control, nonproliferation, safeguards, deterrence and international security, which leads me into...

#3 Issue: National security, our defense policy and such. Fighting terrorism, peacekeeping, counterradicalization. Additionally (as part of a strategic pivot to focus more on Asia), worrying developments in the Chinese military arsenal and cross-strait relations are a major focus, and there's the ever-present Israel-Palestine conflict.

Bonus #4 Issue: US energy policy and climate change.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »

For the general interest of the Committee, these were the policies I articulated to the President as what I would do if appointed.

Policies
-Continue any stories Dr. Cynic had set in motion: I believe the one regarding the Presidential election potentially being disrupted by terrorism has potential, and any Shua/I can cook up as well.
-Fully cooperate with the Committee on National Security.
-Register independent until the end of my term, less public stances on issues not related to the SoEA.
-Attempt to be as active as possible.
-Be willing to visit other nations, meet with foreign leaders, etc.
-Respond to all questions, concerns, and comments.
-Continue further peace talks with Iran through all diplomatic channels in order to find a peaceful solution, including leading talks myself and keeping an active hand in the negotiations, with a coordinated plan to attempt to limit their nuclear weapons program.
-Make a real effort at Palestinian statehood, including drafting of a comprehensive peace plan in our role as an impartial mediator attempting to find a solution acceptable to both sides.
-Strengthen relations with current allies while finding new ones (strengthen relations with Mexico, Turkey, and Russia, for a few).
-Working to curb human rights violations wherever possible, particularly in regards to China and Africa.
-Assisting the transition to democracy in the Arab World, specifically Libya.
-Syria: work with rebel groups and other nations to bring about democracy.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2012, 05:39:23 PM »

I hope that I'm not offending anyone by butting in to the affairs of this committee, but I notice that you haven't mentioned North Korea's recent failed attempt to launch a satellite. In your view, what is the significance of this event, and how should Atlasia (and the world) react?

No offense taken.

I'm assuming you're referring to their recent (12 December) launch of the Kwangmyongsong-3 satellite from the Sohae Space Center, which North American Aerospace Command reports to have been a success. I believe this is a matter best addressed by the UN Security Council as it is being done in defiance of threats of sanctions, and an immediate UNSC resolution is something that I (along with my presumable counterpart Minister Kōichirō Genba) would press for immediately. UN sanctions imposed since 2006 and 2009 clearly prohibit missile and nuclear-related tests, and Kim Jong-un can't pretend that because he's launching a satellite it's any different from a missile launch (it's the same vehicle in both cases). This is not a peaceful demonstration of technology, and tensions are still very high.

I'd like to take this opportunity to discuss North Korea's recent arrest of a United States citizen, Pae Jun-Ho. Apparently this man "committed a crime" and has been put into custody by "a relevant institution"; the Korean Central News Agency hasn't said anything else, and we haven't gotten any word from the Swedes that I know of. Mr. Pae was a Korean-American tour operator who Kookmin Ilbo, a South Korean newspaper, was guilty of possessing a hard drive. This is only the latest in a pattern of North Korean arrests of US citizens. If confirmed I would immediately dispatch a mission to negotiate his release, preferably led by a former President, as that is what has worked in the past.

South Korea also recently seized a Chinese ship carrying missile components to the Assad regime in Syria. This comes on the heels of a seizure of a Syrian-bound vessel containing graphite cylinders, which can be used to create missiles. China is the main hub for North Korea's illegal arms trade to war criminals, and I would like to attempt to pressure China into investigating these accusations.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2012, 06:22:50 PM »

I suppose I was wrong to label the launch unsuccessful. The satellite itself... not so much.

True, but (based on my interpretation) whether the satellite worked, or whether it was a satellite at all (technically speaking anything they shoot up there would be a satellite, but as in the Sputnikey sense), doesn't matter: what matters is that they have the technology to build a missile capable of launching it up there.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2012, 09:46:47 PM »

I appreciate the intiative taken by this committee to immeidately commence interrogating the new prisoner. It is my hope that such would be standard practice without need of prompting and I am glad to see it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2012, 08:02:51 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

When I was SoEA I had an office here on the AFG board and had a newspaper, which was what I used to publish news stories, on the AFE board. I think that segregation worked well.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2012, 11:30:15 PM »

See, I get a bit uneasy about allowing members of the administration to create foreign affairs stories. In many cases, the SoEA comes from the same party as the President. So if, for example, the president wants Iran to abandon its nuclear programs, it is very easy for the SoEA to say "hey there, diplomatic relations with Iran are now completely open and we are co-operating on good terms," even though that scenario isn't entirely realistic.

I think the GM should have to take on a larger role when it comes to these events. Have the SoEA lobby the GM or something. Hell, even just require that the GM signs off on the SoEA's stories... something to keep partisanship out of the framework of the game.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2012, 11:35:59 PM »

Joyce's amendment looks good to me.  He and I have always been of one mind in this regard, and I trust him.  I don't share Hagrid's concerns, especially because the GM already has final say with stories.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: December 24, 2012, 05:53:25 PM »

That alleviates a lot of my concerns, thanks Nix. Smiley
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2012, 08:37:51 PM »

I had begun to write one of my "killer" posts (defined as killer because you die by the time you get done, or the content itself is deadly, not in any way does it serve as a descriptor of quality. Tongue) relating to this Hagrid-Nix exhance, especially about the role of each party in the exchange (GM/SoEA) with some historical perspective, concerns and the pros and cons of the two different approaches to how to use the SoIA/SoEA (are they feeding some of it, or just being 100% fed everything by the GM). Also including fact that either way involves an on-going, detailed and indepth interaction between them that is full of substance and quality results that would serve as the engine for Game events and thus activity. Going further is probably the later is probably more important to long run success or failure, then either of the two approaches mentioned above (Both and can work and both can fail and we have seen them both fail actually).

Somewhere along this path I came to a realization. One, I have big headache. Two, its Christmas eve. The fact that it is such a day and I am in this condition, mean there are a million other places where I need to be right now. And so, long story made short, I am leaving you with this rambling paragraph. If need to, I will work backwards to explain it, on a day that doesn't have the word Christmas in it.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: December 25, 2012, 01:25:13 AM »

Don't stress, Yankee. Tongue This should be your last concern. Have a good Christmas!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #143 on: December 25, 2012, 02:58:58 PM »

Get in any final questions soon, and then we'll vote on confirming the nominee.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #144 on: December 26, 2012, 06:53:44 PM »

We are no voting on whether or not to confirm the nominee.  Vote aye, nay, or abstain.

Aye
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2012, 05:10:20 PM »

Aye
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2012, 07:42:25 PM »

Nix, I'd personally prefer Joyce's version, and intend to introduce that as an amendment when the bill hits the floor.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2012, 09:59:47 PM »

Does anyone else have an opinion on Nix's bill?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2013, 04:03:22 PM »

We're now voting on Nix's bill.

Aye
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »

I urge the NSC to support Nix's legislation.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies