Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 10:14:37 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security  (Read 8682 times)
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2012, 01:45:57 pm »
Ignore

Welcome to the Senate Committee on National Security.  The first order of business will be to hold hearings on the recent Treaty Ratification Amendment.  Therefore, I am inviting Senator NCYankee, the sponsor; SoEA Kalwejt, Ambassador Cathcon, and President Napoleon to come testify on this legislation.  That will then be followed by a vote on whether or not the full Senate should ratify the Amendment.

So let's get started!  Opening statements?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:00:44 pm by Senator Ben »Logged

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 01:59:52 pm »
Ignore

Puts on PPT hat:

Could the chairman alter the topic line so that it is uniform with the one on the Oversight and Reform Committee as displayed below:

"SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security"

The reason for this is to differentiate it from the other types of hearings authorized by the pertinent section of the OSPR.

Good Luck Chairman! I will be watching you guys!

Takes off PPT hat.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 02:06:51 pm »
Ignore

Committee members, during the reason deliberations of the Atlasia-Israel Security Cooperation and Defense Treaty, it was revealed that the Constitution lacked provisions to ratify treaties. Therefore, I composed the following amendment in the hopes of rectifying this situation, basing it off similar language and placement as that of the RL US Constitution, altered by the necessities of our Constitutions differences of course.

AN AMENDMENT
To establish clearer procedures for the ratification of treaties and agreements with foreign powers for the advancement of the interests of the Republic of Atlasia.

Be it enacted by 2/3 of the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled.

This amendment shall be titled as the "Treaty Ratification Amendment".

Article II, Section 1, Clause 4 shall read as the following:
4. The President shall have power, with the advice and consent of the Senate, to make treaties, provided two-thirds of the Senators concur.

The clause previously numbered as clause 4 and all subsquent clauses of this section shall be renumbered accordingly.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 10:45:52 pm »
Ignore

First, thank you for having me.

I am here today to speak in support of passage and ratification of the Treaty Ratification Amendment.

2/3 Senate support is appropriate for such major foreign policy decisions. Placing this procedure in our Constitution will eliminate future disputes over the constitutionality of treaty-making.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 11:19:47 pm »
Ignore

Via Video Conference

Thanks a lot for calling me here. Before I voice my opinion, I'm wondering if text is available of the previous procedure by which treaties were ratified. And if so, if it could be procured for my viewing.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 08:38:32 am by Cathcon »Logged

Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 11:21:08 pm »
Ignore

As far as I am aware, no procedures presently exist.

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
--
Kalwejt
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 03:06:40 pm »
Ignore

Therefore, I am inviting Senator NCYankee, the sponsor; SoEA Kalwejt, Ambassador Cathcon, and President Napoleon to come testify on this legislation.

I find this outrageous to mention the President at the very end. The President outranks all of these individuals mentioned and should be mentioned in the very first place.

I cannot and will not testify before a body that shows no respect to the Presidency Angry
GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 03:07:53 pm »
Ignore

I want to make sure that this applies only to defense treaties and not any sort of trade agreement.

Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 04:03:57 pm »
Ignore

Mr. SoEA, I expect you to testify.  You have been summoned before this committee, and so you shall testify.

I want to make sure that this applies only to defense treaties and not any sort of trade agreement.

Traditionally, FTA's have been separate; certainly all the ones we've passed have had only a majority requirement.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 05:11:09 pm »
Ignore

Therefore, I am inviting Senator NCYankee, the sponsor; SoEA Kalwejt, Ambassador Cathcon, and President Napoleon to come testify on this legislation.

I find this outrageous to mention the President at the very end. The President outranks all of these individuals mentioned and should be mentioned in the very first place.

I cannot and will not testify before a body that shows no respect to the Presidency Angry

Shouldn't the sponsor of the bill get first mention so as to ensure that the motivation and cause for the legislation introduced can be clearly established before the committee members?

I would strongly recommend that you in fact do testify, lest Ben and myself have to make things "difficult" for you.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 05:14:21 pm »
Ignore

Mr. SoEA, I expect you to testify.  You have been summoned before this committee, and so you shall testify.

Traditionally, FTA's have been separate; certainly all the ones we've passed have had only a majority requirement.

This is the same as what is in the US Constitution and US has passed most of its FTA's via the normal legislative process, starting with NAFTA. Northing in this limits the legislative abilities of the Senate and thus passing the contents of a treaty as a piece of normal legislation should still be possible.

I would recommend seeking a legal opinion(s) from a "Constitutional Expert(s)" to get a clearer picture of this issue.

#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 02:54:16 pm »
Ignore

As far as I am aware, no procedures presently exist.

Ah thank you. Well, diplomacy and treaties are certainly an important part of any international diplomacy, and so it seems only sensible that a process be established. 2/3's of the Senate seems like a reasonable and fairly standard requirement.

Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 04:34:42 pm »
Ignore

To those assembled at these hearings today I want to pose a question. Ought this amendment to include in its text a provision for assigning pending treaties a high rank of priority in the Senate so as to expedite their introduction to the floor for deliberation and voting?

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 11:34:33 am »
Ignore

To those assembled at these hearings today I want to pose a question. Ought this amendment to include in its text a provision for assigning pending treaties a high rank of priority in the Senate so as to expedite their introduction to the floor for deliberation and voting?

At this point in the hearing, I'm guessing this too would be my main question I would like to know. It would only make sense to have these pending ones expedited.

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 03:35:47 pm »
Ignore

We have a Foreign Policy/International Affairs slot for such matters.

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 03:38:40 pm »
Ignore

I don't see why approving a treaty should take precedent over other foreign policy concerns, and that would be better taken care of by an OSPR amendment anyway.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 03:56:42 pm »
Ignore

There is still time for the committee to vote on a recommendation.

Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 03:57:42 pm »
Ignore

Indeed.  The vote is now open on whether this Committee believes the amendment should be passed.  Please vote aye, nay, or abstain.

Aye

Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 05:44:17 pm »
Ignore

Aye

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 08:47:35 am »
Ignore

Aye ftr.

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 02:06:31 pm »
Ignore

By a vote of 3-0, the Committee formally recommends that the Senate pass this Amendment.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 03:35:56 pm »
Ignore

Damn, missed out on a chance to make an example out of Kalwejt.

What is next here Ben? Iran?

Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 06:42:03 pm »
Ignore

Nope; we're going to go next into overview hearings on foreign policy.  The President, SoEA, and Ambassador are all called to testify.  Then we'll move to the Iran bill.  On this one, the SoEA will have to testify, or else.

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 07:10:33 pm »
Ignore

Or else what? You'll make him disappear? You're a bit late...

--
Kalwejt
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 01:16:05 pm »
Ignore

Senators, I'll gladly discuss the new developments regarding Iran with you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout