SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:17:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security  (Read 18909 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« on: August 17, 2012, 05:10:35 PM »

OOC Canon Question: There's a UN here, right?

Yes.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 04:44:47 PM »

President Napoleon already has at his disposal military assets which could potentially cast a limited umbrella of ballistic missile defense over most if not all major populated areas in Israel without adopting the proposed measure. It is also worth mentioning that Israel is almost certainly in possession of dozens of nuclear devices it could utilize as either a strategic deterrence or for launching an effective retaliation against Iran in the event of an unconventional first strike. It is my understanding that four Israeli subs - Dolphin, Leviathan, Tekumah, and Tannin - are rumored to be equipped with SLCMs that could deliver nuclear warheads from the Persian Gulf or Gulf of Oman to almost anywhere in Iran - though to be fair such an undertaking might require intervention on the part of Israeli allies to conduct SEAD operations and bust up some IRIN and IRIAF hardware.

Furthermore, it is widely known that Israel possess one of the most proficient, advanced, and experienced air forces in the world. Their conventional forces would be a daunting obstacle to any invader. I am confident that Israel is, hypothetically, a nation capable of holding its own against Iran in a conventional war long enough for Atlasian reinforcements to arrive.

In addition to Senator Redalgo's comments:

During my tenure as SoEA, one of my actions was to prioritize development of the Arrow 3 anti-ballistic missile in response to Iran's development of nuclear weapons. I would believe that Israel now has in their possession fully functional hypersonic anti-missile interceptor system with a success rate of around 99%. Also,

Extension of Nuclear Umbrella

The Republic of Atlasia has decided to guarantee the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the Republic of Turkey, the State of Israel, and the Arab Republic of Egypt that the Republic of Atlasia shall defend them if they are attacked by nuclear weapons.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2012, 01:57:12 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

Mexico: Normal, though we have serious concerns about the drug warlords conflict.
Bosnia & Herzegovina: Normal
Georgia: Partial Military and Trade Restrictions. We have concerns over civil liberties and other issues within the area.
Greece: Normal. We have concerns over Greece's economic situation.
Turkey: Normal, although concerns remain about treatment of Kurds, and increasing trend away from secularism.

Mexico: Most Priority, though we have serious concerns about the drug warlords conflict.
Bosnia & Herzegovina: Normal. Atlasia welcomes the apparent political stability and peaceful ethnic relations.
Georgia: Normal, though we have concerns over civil liberties and notably about the status of Abkhazia and South Ossetia. The DoEA reserves the right to military restrictions if we feel that it is needed in view of current events in the country or the Caucasus.
Greece: Normal
Turkey: Most Priority, although concerns remain about treatment of Kurds, and increasing trend away from secularism.

Afghanistan: Normal, though we are concerned about corruption, drugs, woman's rights and other issues.
Bahrain: Full military and no economic restrictions.  The Atlasian Government strongly condemns the measures taken against protesters in Bahrain.
China: Full military restrictions and no economic restrictions, though we are very concerned over human rights, and political liberties.
Iran: Full military and economic restrictions will remain in place until the Iranian regime makes full, honest and lasting overtures to democracy, as well as fully renouncing any attempt at a nuclear program. We are currently in peace talks with Iran. Status pending.
Israel: Normal; the DoEA urges Israel to begin to negotiate in earnest with Atlasia and the Palestinian peoples, at which time, Most Priority will be granted.
New Zealand: Most Priority
Saudi Arabia: Partial military and no economic restrictions. We are concerned about the human rights situation and urge the government to make major democratic reforms. If the human rights situation does not improve, more restrictions may follow.
West Bank:Normal. We are concerned about the current political situation, support a two state solution and would, in the near future, like a democratic and independent State of Palestine. As stated above, we hope that the Palestinians will come to negotiate in earnest.

Afghanistan: Normal, though we are concerned about corruption, drugs, woman's rights (see pending legislation) and other issues.
Bahrain: Partial military and no economic restrictions.  The Atlasian Government strongly condemns the measures taken against protesters in Bahrain.
China: Partial military restrictions and no economic restrictions, though we are very concerned over human rights, and political liberties. We realize that China is a major economic partner and full economic restrictions would be counter-productive to the Atlasian and global economy.
Iran: Full military and economic restrictions will remain in place until the Iranian regime makes full, honest and lasting overtures to democracy, as well as fully renouncing any attempt at a nuclear program.
Israel: Normal; the DoEA urges Israel to end all settlements and alter the current non-Green Line route of the West Bank separation barrier, in which case Most Priority status shall be granted. We also urge Israel to work harder towards reaching a settlement to the Palestinian crisis.
New Zealand: Normal
Saudi Arabia: Partial military and no economic restrictions. We are concerned about the human rights situation and urge the government to make major democratic reforms.
West Bank:Normal. We are concerned about the current political situation, support a two state solution and would, in the near future, like a democratic and independent State of Palestine.

Algeria: Partial military and partial economic restrictions.  We have serious concerns about political freedoms, basic rights, and corruption.
Burundi: Partial military and no economic restrictions, though we are still concerned about ethnic violence, corruption and certain political freedoms.
Djibouti: Partial military and no economic restrictions
Egypt: Partial military and no economic restrictions.  We are very concerned about potential government instability. The DoEA would like to have talks with the Egyptian government as soon as possible regarding this matter.
Guinea-Bissau: Partial military and no economic restrictions
Libya: Normal. The DoEA is pleased with the transition that the Libyans are taking towards Democracy.
Mali: Partial economic and no military restrictions.  We are very concerned about government instability.
Morocco: Normal, though we are concerned about certain political freedoms.
Sudan: Full military and economic restrictions.
South Sudan: Normal.
Western Sahara: Normal

Algeria: Partial military and no economic restrictions.  We have serious concerns about political freedoms, basic rights, and corruption.
Burundi: Normal, though we are still concerned about ethnic violence, corruption and certain political freedoms.
Djibouti: Full military and partial economic restrictions
Egypt: Partial military and no economic restrictions.  We are very concerned about the lack of a full transition to democracy, and hope that Egypt can continue on its path to democratic reform.
Guinea-Bissau: Partial military and no economic restrictions.  We are very concerned about the recent coup and its effects on the people.
Libya: Partial military and no economic restrictions.  It is the hope of the DoEA that Libya can make the transition to democracy.
Mali: Partial economic and no military restrictions.  We are very concerned about the recent coup and its effects on the people.
Morocco: Normal, though we are concerned about certain political freedoms. On the matter of Western Sahara, we demand immediate negotiations concerning the status of Western Sahara, and the failure of Morocco to engage into talks will results in recognition of Sahrawi independence.
Sudan: Full military and economic restrictions. We strongly condemn the situation in Darfur, and would like to see an end to conflict with South Sudan.
South Sudan: Partial military and no economic restrictions.  While the DoEA wants South Sudan to succeed, it needs to abide by international law and respect its boundary with Sudan.

Here y'all go. Everything here has changed since the last review. I threw this together for myself and figured the committee might want it as well.

Be it noted that Iran has fully developed a nuclear weapons program and thus that portion of Iran's status is obsolete.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 02:32:33 PM »

Hi.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 02:49:13 PM »

Joyce, can you fill us in on the process?

On the SoEA selection process, on the nomination process, or what I'd do as SoEA, or...?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 03:04:05 PM »

The application process.  Have you heard recently from the President?

Yes; two days ago we discussed what policies I would pursue as SoEA.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 03:25:15 PM »

Can you tell us how you would respond to the current crisis in Mali?

Al-Qaeda/Ansar Dine are a serious security threat to American citizens and their control of northern Mali is a major source of funding for al-Qaeda due to their kidnapping for ransoms. I think it's important to distinguish between MNLA, who are secular nationalists and who require a very nuanced stance on, and Ansar Dine, who are a part of al-Qaeda and require our unconditional opposition to: the people of northern Mali oppose Ansar Dine, I oppose Ansar Dine, Atlasia opposes Ansar Dine, and I have the mayor of Timbuktu describing their conditions under Ansar Dine as "a living hell". As for our solution to the problem, if confirmed I would attempt to visit the region if possible and attempt to mediate a solution, or attempt to get a local nation to mediate in the conflict, Algeria or someone, an African-led or ECOWAS-led solution. I do not believe that American military intervention is necessary at this time, and I do not foresee it being necessary unless all possible political efforts are exhausted. Our future moves in the region also depend on whether Mali holds free elections any time soon after the coup that took place in March; coup leader Amadou Sanogo has said that he is going to re-establish the Constituion and institutions and reinstitute civilian control, and the question is if he will actually do so. Regardless, our #1 aim is the removal of Ansar Dine.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 03:43:58 PM »

Which three foreign policy issues do you think are currently the most pressing?

#1 Issue: Political reforms in the Middle East and North Africa, specifically our policy towards political reform in Iran and the Arab World, as well as how we deal with rising Islamist movements/the Muslim Brotherhood and the rule of law/democracy in general worldwide.

#2 Issue: Nuclear weapons, namely Iranian nuclear proliferation and concerns surrounding nuclear energy, disarmament, arms control, nonproliferation, safeguards, deterrence and international security, which leads me into...

#3 Issue: National security, our defense policy and such. Fighting terrorism, peacekeeping, counterradicalization. Additionally (as part of a strategic pivot to focus more on Asia), worrying developments in the Chinese military arsenal and cross-strait relations are a major focus, and there's the ever-present Israel-Palestine conflict.

Bonus #4 Issue: US energy policy and climate change.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »

For the general interest of the Committee, these were the policies I articulated to the President as what I would do if appointed.

Policies
-Continue any stories Dr. Cynic had set in motion: I believe the one regarding the Presidential election potentially being disrupted by terrorism has potential, and any Shua/I can cook up as well.
-Fully cooperate with the Committee on National Security.
-Register independent until the end of my term, less public stances on issues not related to the SoEA.
-Attempt to be as active as possible.
-Be willing to visit other nations, meet with foreign leaders, etc.
-Respond to all questions, concerns, and comments.
-Continue further peace talks with Iran through all diplomatic channels in order to find a peaceful solution, including leading talks myself and keeping an active hand in the negotiations, with a coordinated plan to attempt to limit their nuclear weapons program.
-Make a real effort at Palestinian statehood, including drafting of a comprehensive peace plan in our role as an impartial mediator attempting to find a solution acceptable to both sides.
-Strengthen relations with current allies while finding new ones (strengthen relations with Mexico, Turkey, and Russia, for a few).
-Working to curb human rights violations wherever possible, particularly in regards to China and Africa.
-Assisting the transition to democracy in the Arab World, specifically Libya.
-Syria: work with rebel groups and other nations to bring about democracy.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 05:39:23 PM »

I hope that I'm not offending anyone by butting in to the affairs of this committee, but I notice that you haven't mentioned North Korea's recent failed attempt to launch a satellite. In your view, what is the significance of this event, and how should Atlasia (and the world) react?

No offense taken.

I'm assuming you're referring to their recent (12 December) launch of the Kwangmyongsong-3 satellite from the Sohae Space Center, which North American Aerospace Command reports to have been a success. I believe this is a matter best addressed by the UN Security Council as it is being done in defiance of threats of sanctions, and an immediate UNSC resolution is something that I (along with my presumable counterpart Minister Kōichirō Genba) would press for immediately. UN sanctions imposed since 2006 and 2009 clearly prohibit missile and nuclear-related tests, and Kim Jong-un can't pretend that because he's launching a satellite it's any different from a missile launch (it's the same vehicle in both cases). This is not a peaceful demonstration of technology, and tensions are still very high.

I'd like to take this opportunity to discuss North Korea's recent arrest of a United States citizen, Pae Jun-Ho. Apparently this man "committed a crime" and has been put into custody by "a relevant institution"; the Korean Central News Agency hasn't said anything else, and we haven't gotten any word from the Swedes that I know of. Mr. Pae was a Korean-American tour operator who Kookmin Ilbo, a South Korean newspaper, was guilty of possessing a hard drive. This is only the latest in a pattern of North Korean arrests of US citizens. If confirmed I would immediately dispatch a mission to negotiate his release, preferably led by a former President, as that is what has worked in the past.

South Korea also recently seized a Chinese ship carrying missile components to the Assad regime in Syria. This comes on the heels of a seizure of a Syrian-bound vessel containing graphite cylinders, which can be used to create missiles. China is the main hub for North Korea's illegal arms trade to war criminals, and I would like to attempt to pressure China into investigating these accusations.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 06:22:50 PM »

I suppose I was wrong to label the launch unsuccessful. The satellite itself... not so much.

True, but (based on my interpretation) whether the satellite worked, or whether it was a satellite at all (technically speaking anything they shoot up there would be a satellite, but as in the Sputnikey sense), doesn't matter: what matters is that they have the technology to build a missile capable of launching it up there.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 08:02:51 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

When I was SoEA I had an office here on the AFG board and had a newspaper, which was what I used to publish news stories, on the AFE board. I think that segregation worked well.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »

I urge the NSC to support Nix's legislation.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »

Let's begin!  Joyce, please explain to us why these bills are necessary.

Alrighty, going down the list:

-TRICARE Reform (introduced by Sen. Nix): TRICARE is the military health care program. To what extent TRICARE has been replaced/reformed by Fritzcare is not entirely clear; introducing this legislation would also be a way to determine that before the proposed reforms are implemented.
-Retirement Reform (introduced by Sen. Nix): In the interests of saving time, just skim my remarks in Mr. Marokai's campaign thread.
-Budget stuff: These two related pieces of legislation (separated in order to separate those that would affect the services and those that would affect the DoEA in general) are designed to allow for a reduction in defense spending while preserving current defense plans to the greatest extent possible in an effort to minimize potential vulnerabilities. It would keep the military capable of addressing a wide range of possible threats around the world, while achieving substantial cost savings. While it reduces LCS, F-35s, Army modernization and missile defense programs, it reinvests much of the savings into platforms such as DDG-51s, F/A-18s, F-16s, Bradley Fighting Vehicles, and trucks. It also returns the Army and Marine Corps to end strengths near their 2001 levels. I can provide further analysis of the potential risks of this legislation if you need it.
-UNCLOS: This would ratify the Law of the Sea treaty. Presently, the Atlasian military relies on customary international law regarding navigation in and above the sea, and customary law can change as practices change. This would codify reasonable, responsible maritime territory claims in an international legal framework which cannot be manipulated by any other states. It also provides through the ITLOS a way to resolve territorial and natural resource disputes with other states who have signed the treaty; Atlasia cannot participate in that framework without ascending to the treaty. Additionally, there would be massive economic benefits; we would have exclusive rights to manage the resources in areas near the coast. Atlasian corporations could also apply for ISA licenses in order to exploit resources in the deep seabed.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2013, 03:06:19 PM by SoEA SJoyce »

DoEA Risk Analysis, Budget Plan

The risks associated with this plan are both modest and acceptable. Although it alters some programs, it preserves the bulk of defense capabilities. <1% of cuts go to naval forces, 3% to air forces, 19% to ground forces, and 77% to department-wide activities. It sustains but realigns our naval and air forces to face future threats. While we would field fewer planned new system such as the LCS and F-35, we would retain a powerful assortment of new platforms, such as the Ford-class carrier, Virginia-class submarine, F-22, and a large contingent of F-35s, along with highly capable platforms such as F/A-18s and DDG-51s. This is capable of deterring, or defeating, any potential adversary.

The alteration to the LCS program would result in a smaller overall fleet of surface vessels; however, alternative forward basing and crew rotation arrangements mean this would have a minimal effect. The 25% cut to the F-35 could potentially cause Atlasian allies to abandon the jet due to increased unit costs; however, they have invested in its development and we do not believe they would be quick to drop an investment. The reduction in Army and Marine end strength is connected to a planned reduction in operational tempo, and with a focus on the Asia-Pacific and Middle East regions, ground forces will play a less central role in future power projection. The size reductions will return us to the active-duty force size and readiness of the 1990s, which will be adequate for current and anticipated global threats. The cancellation/reductions in the GCV, JLTV, and JTRS programs would mean ground forces would rely on existing systems; however, improving current systems will meet our needs for the next decade (we have lost fewer vehicles from battle losses and maintenance failures than anticipated in recent conflicts). We shall continue to pursue R&D so we are prepared to meet future challenges.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2013, 03:03:53 PM by SoEA SJoyce »

There's the ratification of a couple of bits of the Geneva Conventions that we haven't ratified yet sitting in my office, if one of you gentlemen would like to introduce them and then debate them here.

Also, you've got a Trade Commission to appoint, IIRC. I was going to try to push some major international trade agreement work shortly, so that could be something to take up.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 10:37:24 AM »

IIRC three people said they'd be willing to serve; I believe there was something about my isolationist Randian amorality balancing Snowstalker's protectionist reaction.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 01:44:39 PM »

I remember that as well, but I cannot seem to find the thread.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=164337.0

Myself, Snowstalker, Marokai, yourself, and Nix all indicated interest.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 06:14:30 PM »

I nominate Senator Ben, SOEA SJoyce, and Senator Averroes Nix

That actually seems like the best combo. Ben & I are our resident 'people who actually care about this sort of thing' (Wink), and Nix always puts out good work. Since Snowstalker I believe is unopposed in his Senate race and Marokai is leading in the Presidential polls, both would probably have new offices to move into when we're getting this thing off the ground and would likely be occupied with that.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »

Not that it matters since Clarence's appointment was made conditional on Sjoyce resigning and as far as I can tell, he has not.

I hereby resign as Secretary of External Affairs, effective immediately.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 12:54:48 PM »

What this legislation would do is bring Atlasia in line with international standards on a variety of environmental issues.

-The Basel Convention controls international movement of hazardous wastes - basically prohibiting transfer of hazardous wastes from here to less-developed countries. 179 nations have signed and ratified it - Haiti and us have signed it but have not yet ratified. It basically promises that we'll clean up our own messes and won't dump all our hazardous waste in Mozambique or Chad or Zimbabwe or whatever.

-The Rotterdam Convention deals with international trade of hazardous chemicals. It basically says that if we ban a chemical we have to tell other nations that we did so, and if we plan to export one of those chemicals we have to notify the nation it's being exported to. We also need to label our hazardous chemicals and, when exporting chemicals, attach guidelines on how to safely handle them.

-The Stockholm Convention restricts the production and use of certain chemicals that can remain in the environment for long periods of time, accumulate in fatty tissues, and have adverse effects on human health/wildlife - cancers, birth defects, immunodeficiencies, etc.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 01:27:24 PM »

I do wonder what downsides are present if any that have prevented these from being adopted in the past?

Perhaps objections to some of the things listed in the conventions by industry groups - for instance Canada objected to chrysotile asbestos fibers being listed in the Rotterdam Convention because of the asbestos industry.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 01:43:18 PM »

Should we be anticiptating any adverse economic effects of a significant scale from adopting these?

I haven't seen any significant adverse effects on the other nations who have adopted them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies