Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 09:30:22 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  New North Carolina Law BANS Scientific Predictions of Sea Level Rise.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New North Carolina Law BANS Scientific Predictions of Sea Level Rise.  (Read 1039 times)
retromike22
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2012, 04:48:33 pm »
Ignore

http://news.yahoo.com/law-north-carolina-bans-latest-scientific-predictions-sea-165416121--abc-news-topstories.html

The law was drafted in response to an estimate by the state's Coastal Resources Commission (CRC) that the sea level will rise by 39 inches in the next century, prompting fears of costlier home insurance and accusations of anti-development alarmism among residents and developers in the state's coastal Outer Banks region.

Democratic Gov. Bev Perdue had until Thursday to act on the bill known as House Bill 819, but she decided to let it become law by doing nothing.

The bill's passage in June triggered nationwide scorn by those who argued that the state was deliberately blinding itself to the effects of climate change. In a segment on the "Colbert Report," comedian Stephen Colbert mocked North Carolina lawmakers' efforts as an attempt to outlaw science.

"If your science gives you a result you don't like, pass a law saying the result is illegal. Problem solved," he joked.

I wrote and directed my own movie. It's about an intern, a doctor, a mayor, a cross dressing prostitute, farmers, aliens, and zombies:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=181696.0
afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:51:31 pm »
Ignore

I hope those who voted for or supported the bill they get flooded. But I'm sure they'd blame that on the gays.
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:04:56 pm »
Ignore

Some "Democrat" Perdue is for declining to veto this. I imagine that rising sea levels won't be kind to the Outer Banks.
nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 10:14:59 pm »
Ignore

Why let facts get in the way of profit?

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

Camerlengo Alfred of the Papal Patch
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:30:35 pm »
Ignore

Oh, God. Oh, my f[inks]ing God.

First Texas, now this?

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

CultureKing
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:32:29 am »
Ignore

What's going to get real annoying is when in 30-40 years the folks in the low areas begin asking for federal assistance once their homes get swallowed up by the sea with greater frequency each year.

I wish the US wasn't such a reactionary society, it really sucks for issues like climate change.

Econ: -6.50, Social: -5.23
Landslide Lyndon
px75
YaBB God
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -5.22

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 01:27:48 am »
Ignore

Don't worry folks. Inks told me that Republicans aren't anti-science at all, that's just liberal crap. 

Bob Findley: "You're a real dyed-in-the-wool son-of-a-bitch. Anyone ever told you that?"
Steve Everett: "Just close friends and family,"

Clint Eastwood's "True Crime", 1999.
Breaking hearts and minds
Old Europe
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 04:36:02 am »
Ignore

http://news.yahoo.com/law-north-carolina-bans-latest-scientific-predictions-sea-165416121--abc-news-topstories.html

The law was drafted in response to an estimate by the state's Coastal Resources Commission (CRC) that the sea level will rise by 39 inches in the next century, prompting fears of costlier home insurance and accusations of anti-development alarmism among residents and developers in the state's coastal Outer Banks region.

Democratic Gov. Bev Perdue had until Thursday to act on the bill known as House Bill 819, but she decided to let it become law by doing nothing.

The bill's passage in June triggered nationwide scorn by those who argued that the state was deliberately blinding itself to the effects of climate change. In a segment on the "Colbert Report," comedian Stephen Colbert mocked North Carolina lawmakers' efforts as an attempt to outlaw science.

"If your science gives you a result you don't like, pass a law saying the result is illegal. Problem solved," he joked.

It's what Jebus wants.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 11:19:39 am »
Ignore

Don't worry folks. Inks told me that Republicans aren't anti-science at all, that's just liberal crap. 

I never said no Republicans were.

And to be fair, the law doesn't ban the predictions from being made.  It bans those predictions from being used to guide state policies anytime in the next 4 years, having the state rely on  climatological data while the CRC finishes their report.

The story also uses an old version of the bill, while the end bill was more moderate.
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 11:28:31 am »
Ignore

The media in this state have a habit of using the old texts that have since been amended. WRAL is still using the original Rucho-Lewis map that was canned after Butterfield's criticisms were issued.

Good ole' Bev strikes again. Tongue

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Landslide Lyndon
px75
YaBB God
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -5.22

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 11:43:44 am »
Ignore

Quote from: Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC

And to be fair, the law doesn't ban the predictions from being made.  

Good to know. Maybe in the next election they should use this slogan: "Republicans: not as bad as the Inquisition".

Bob Findley: "You're a real dyed-in-the-wool son-of-a-bitch. Anyone ever told you that?"
Steve Everett: "Just close friends and family,"

Clint Eastwood's "True Crime", 1999.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 11:46:40 am »
Ignore

Good to know. Maybe in the next election they should use this slogan: "Republicans: not as bad as the Inquisition".

This is nothing close to the Inquisition.
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 11:58:48 am »

But we know to expect Republicans, nobody expects the Inquisition.

People find meaning and redemption in the most unusual human connections. Khaled Hosseini
Likely Voter
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 12:24:41 pm »
Ignore

My state of California should do this. I say that they should redefine Earthquakes as "Jesus hugs". And then they can get rid of all that job killing regulation that deny job creators the freedom to chose any building materials they want. 

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 12:31:18 pm »
Ignore

My state of California should do this. I say that they should redefine Earthquakes as "Jesus hugs". And then they can get rid of all that job killing regulation that deny job creators the freedom to chose any building materials they want. 

Nobody's redefining anything.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 12:41:58 pm »
Ignore

Well I suppose they're redefining the basis for policy-making - elminating the use of science as a part of this process is an interesting step.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Likely Voter
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 01:22:18 pm »
Ignore

while a parody the analogy is apt.

Science shows that California is more in danger of experiencing earthquakes than Iowa, and science indicates that more Earthquakes will come based on analyzing historical trends. Therefore California's government has put in many regulations and limits on where and how things are constructed in the state. These regulations increase costs and decrease certain economic opportunities.  

NC is essentially doing the opposite. The USGS and entire world of science is telling NC that they are susceptible to future sea level rising. This finding would therefore therefore force the state to take actions which would cost money and/or opportunity. Instead of dealing with the problem they are choosing to ignore it (or redefine it as not a problem)

Global warming denial has such a great allure because it is the easier thing to do. If we say it isn't happening then we dont have to deal with it.  
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:05:35 pm by Dressage Voter »Logged

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 02:04:20 pm »
Ignore

Well I suppose they're redefining the basis for policy-making - elminating the use of science as a part of this process is an interesting step.

1. From my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong here), but this doesn't actual change the basis for policy-making.  The status quo seems to already be to use climatoligical data.  The bill seems more of a preemptive step.

2. How is using climatological data eliminating the use of science?  Climatology is science...
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 02:14:28 pm »
Ignore

2. How is using climatological data eliminating the use of science?  Climatology is science...

Perhaps they've chosen certain aspects of science with which they agree and disallowed other aspects with which they disagree politically.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 02:24:36 pm »
Ignore

Hey, the Bishop of Geneva once exorcised a glacier and the Little Ice Age ended, eventually.  Wink

http://geowords.com/histbookpdf/b03.pdf

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 01:53:23 am »
Ignore

Perhaps they've chosen certain aspects of science with which they agree and disallowed other aspects with which they disagree politically.

That may be the case with some people (although that'd mean they wouldn't even continue the study), but that's not what you said.  You said they were "eliminating the use of science" as part of the state's process.  And that's 100% false.
How Erg the Self-Inductor Slew a Paleface
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 02:40:07 pm »
Ignore

But we know to expect Republicans, nobody expects the Inquisition.

old timey villain
cope1989
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 05:35:10 pm »
Ignore

Dear Jebus, what has happened to North Carolina??

I was so proud of them in 2008 when they voted for Obama and put in Kay Hagan. Since then it seems like the state has experienced a shocking veer to the right.

1) Bev Purdue has been a complete failure as a governor and has deeply disappointed democrats who voted for. Hey Bev! Last time I checked you're still governor for a few more months, so why not veto this turd of a bill? It's not like you have to worry about reelection.

2) GOP wins control of the legislature in I don't know how many years

3) North Carolinians vote their fears and overwhelmingly approve amendment one, single handedly denying basic rights to same sex couples as well as unmarried couples

4) That dumbass preacher says that gays should be corralled so they can no longer taint the rest of us.

5) and now this

Get it together tarheels

Can't we all just get along?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout