Will Tax Issue Mortally wound Romeny?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:38:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will Tax Issue Mortally wound Romeny?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Will Tax Issue Mortally wound Romeny?  (Read 2168 times)
JFK-Democrat
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 02, 2012, 09:30:16 PM »

Just curious if you guys think that Mitt's refusal to release his tax returns cost him the election? I imagine that this will come up in the debates and most ordinary Americans are going to think he is hiding something if he still refuses to provide his tad returns.

Would it be better for him to take the hit now by releasing the returns and hope for the economy to tank of him to have a chance or should he just continue to old out.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »

The answer is no. The economy sucks and that's what the average voter cares about at the moment.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 11:28:01 AM »

No.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 11:29:05 AM »

If taxes hurt Romney at all this time, it won't be because of his returns but because of his "plan".
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »

Won't cost him the election, probably, unless it's 2000 levels of close. Will definitely hurt his chances.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 02:47:53 PM »

Romney will lose the election.  This issue may contribute to said loss, but will not be the determining factor.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 05:25:10 PM »

I'm going to have to echo True Federalist, the real liability for Romney is his tax plan. The media will go after him on it once the public starts paying attention and he'll be hammered for responding to them with non-specific platitudes while Obama's is very concrete.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 05:43:34 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2012, 06:34:23 PM by Torie »

I'm going to have to echo True Federalist, the real liability for Romney is his tax plan. The media will go after him on it once the public starts paying attention and he'll be hammered for responding to them with non-specific platitudes while Obama's is very concrete.

Yes I agree Mittens needs to get more specific on his tax plan. Just saying the revenue lost from cutting rates will be replaced by reduced deductions, is too vague. The "problem" of course is that the big ticket deduction items are just too popular, such as the home mortgage and charitable deduction. Obama of course is vague about a host of stuff too, or just makes ludicrous promises/predictions, or ignores the elephant in the room. That's politics baby.  

As an aside, the first deduction that I would consign to the ash heap of history is the one for state and local taxes. Just why should the Feds subsidize the high taxing states?  It is just bad public policy. An added bonus of exorcising that deduction, is that it would drive Chuck Schumer nuts. What could be better than that?  Tongue
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 06:03:22 PM »

If there are dodgy tax returns, maybe.

Right now I doubt it though. But yeah, this tax plan could potentially hurt, but not kill him.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 06:18:45 PM »

Literally no one cares to see Romney's tax returns.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 06:20:45 PM »

No, not unless there's some kind of scandalous, damaging information in there. Which, given the bizarre reaction of the Romney campaign, there may well be...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 06:24:15 PM »

What Napoleon said.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 06:35:01 PM »

No, because the dumbs that are the population of 'Murka really don't care.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 09:25:25 PM »

Yes I agree Mittens needs to get more specific on his tax plan. Just saying the revenue lost from cutting rates will be replaced by reduced deductions, is too vague. The "problem" of course is that the big ticket deduction items are just too popular, such as the home mortgage and charitable deduction. Obama of course is vague about a host of stuff too, or just makes ludicrous promises/predictions, or ignores the elephant in the room. That's politics baby.  

As an aside, the first deduction that I would consign to the ash heap of history is the one for state and local taxes. Just why should the Feds subsidize the high taxing states?  It is just bad public policy. An added bonus of exorcising that deduction, is that it would drive Chuck Schumer nuts. What could be better than that?  Tongue

Cutting any rates on corporations, capital gains or the top tax brackets is the liability, it doesn't really matter which deductions he plans to eliminates. It will look incredibly irresponsible. There is no getting around this for Romney.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 09:28:11 PM »

Yeah because they're probably so hideous from distortions, lies, and dishonest overseas accounts. At this point, I wouldn't  be surprised had ties to human trafficking.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 10:24:03 AM »

Cutting any rates on corporations, capital gains or the top tax brackets is the liability, it doesn't really matter which deductions he plans to eliminates. It will look incredibly irresponsible. There is no getting around this for Romney.

Most support cutting rates on C corps, including Dems, and it is not clear if that tax is even progressive (much of it is passed on in the form of higher prices, akin to a regressive sales tax). Whether it is progressive or not, the US has the highest rate in the world, hurting competitiveness. Mittens does not support cutting the already low capital gains rate. So no, it does not look "incredibly irresponsible" to me.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 03:50:27 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2012, 04:07:45 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Most support cutting rates on C corps, including Dems, and it is not clear if that tax is even progressive (much of it is passed on in the form of higher prices, akin to a regressive sales tax). Whether it is progressive or not, the US has the highest rate in the world, hurting competitiveness. Mittens does not support cutting the already low capital gains rate. So no, it does not look "incredibly irresponsible" to me.

You're evading the topic at hand: how this will effect Romney's electability.

Torie, why are you ignoring the major public policy institutes on this one? I don't understand how anyone could believe that this plan is feasible, especially if they believe that America is in the middle of a fiscal crisis (I don't).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »

To say that the voters don't understand a tax return or care about Romney's isn't precisely the same thing as to say this issue will fail to wound him at all.  Keep in mind that the vast majority of voters are voting in a simple emotional way - yes, they are indoctrinated in such a way by the capitalist system that they cannot think critically or understand simple things like a tax return, but they will see Romney bumbling along, looking weak, dodgy, and less-than-masculine about this, and probably several other issues.  

It is this that hurts him - the attacking and the failure to respond effectively.  For most voters, this  back-and-forth makes sense only in the same way two groups of dogs barking at each other makes sense - there is no 'content' for them other than who is loudest and most confident, and who dominates the other with facial gestures, body language, and tone of voice.

So, I would say this could have a very mild negative effect in this fashion, but nothing remotely mortal.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 08:31:57 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2012, 08:33:36 PM by Torie »

You're evading the topic at hand: how this will effect Romney's electability.

Torie, why are you ignoring the major public policy institutes on this one? I don't understand how anyone could believe that this plan is feasible, especially if they believe that America is in the middle of a fiscal crisis (I don't).

Why don't you give me a link to one of the public policy institutes to which you refer, and I will read it, and comment?  Fair enough?

As to the electability matter on the lucunae of tax policy, as opposed to the public policy merits, that just bores me, and I find it ludicrously speculative, so no, I don't wish to comment on that. Thanks.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 09:57:41 PM »

Here you go: http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/publications/url.cfm?ID=1001628

I find this analysis to be the most credible and least biased. Have at it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 11:08:51 PM »

Here you go: http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/publications/url.cfm?ID=1001628

I find this analysis to be the most credible and least biased. Have at it.

Thanks for taking the effort to link it. I shall.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 02:52:27 PM »

The average American is more concerned about their own taxes than Romneys'.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 03:33:43 PM »

The average American is more concerned about their own taxes than Romneys'.

If true then they'll vote against Romney's tax plan which will raise the taxes of an average American if it truly is revenue neutral as he claims.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 04:13:03 PM »

Nah....
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iejCicOmYYo

Boom.  Reince  just "caterpillared" (ended) yet another fake issue engineered by the dems.  Boy is it refreshing to hear the truth. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies