Office of Fmr. Governor Simfan34
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:32:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Fmr. Governor Simfan34
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24
Author Topic: Office of Fmr. Governor Simfan34  (Read 62614 times)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »

If I may interfere as SoIA-appoint for a second; it has been stated that the Pacific troops in the Midwest are National Guard of the Pacific troops, which is IIRC the job of the Governor to order around....

Simfan explicitly stated he was assuming command of all Federal military units within the Pacific Region, and has never been any statute defines any sort of Pacific Militia or Pacific National Guard so legally Simfan doesn't even have his own forces to order around

Then of course... I need some update in my SoIA office Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2014, 01:46:54 PM »

I prefer "do not quote laws to us, for we carry swords".

All executive orders are maintained. We shall proceed with the securing of the states of the neighboring region.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2014, 02:10:07 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2014, 06:36:46 PM by Governor Varavour »

Executive Order 10-08

All units of the Atlasian Armed Forces stationed in the Pacific Region are to be returned to their normal command. Pacific Justice Bacon King is relieved of his special law enforcing authorities.

The units of the Pacific Defence Force securing the states of Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado are under no circumstance to initiate engagements with would-be hostile forces and shall engage only when fired upon by militias, self-proclaimed authorities, and other individuals. They shall not, at any time, engage units of the Armed Forces or any units of the National Guard of that region, and are instructed to immediately call for a truce and submit if necessary.

The police are ordered to rigorously enforce the executive orders and curfews.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2014, 03:26:08 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2014, 03:30:58 PM by Governor Varavour »

Executive Order 10-09

An immediate ceasefire order is issued to all units of the Pacific Defence Force operating in the Midwest Region.

Only 25,000 are active at the moment, and 20,000 are in the Midwest.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #279 on: October 05, 2014, 04:55:21 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2014, 05:03:42 PM by Governor Varavour »

Press Conference - Preserving the Constitutional Order
Fairmont Olympic Hotel, Seattle, WA

Fellow Pacificans, members of the press, ladies and gentlemen.

I suppose the time has come to explain ourselves, and the actions we have taken in the past few days. There have been a few who have taken to calling recent measure a grab for power, an attempted coup, a move towards fascism, even. There are gross mis-characterisations, to say the least, if not overtly malicious lies. We have even seen our honourable Justice Bacon King characterise our actions as unconstitutional- this being despite their long precedent in historical practice- but I am relieved that the authorities have continued upholding and complying with their orders. But I should explain for those who do not understand.

As we all certainly know too well, our country has been subsumed by instability unprecedented in our modern history, and fallen into a state of civil conflict not seen the Civil War one hundred and fifty years ago. I have been forced to watch in shock and horror, like the rest of us, as the authority of the federal government has slowly slipped away, as one president left office in what seems to have been a forced resignation and the condition of another lies shrouded in uncertainty. But I have been made to do more than just watch.

In one day I was twice detained by forces following the orders of the former Attorney General, who has called for my execution! I was released after those following orders realised their absurdity, but those in New York, Tulsa, or Wichita, where hundreds, if not thousands- thousands of our fellow Atlasians have died- died- in internecine strife- they have not been as lucky as I have been- as we here in the Pacific have been.

As your Governor, I could not, and cannot, allow such things to happen in our region. This is why I have imposed a curfew, a ban on public assemblies, a state of emergency. I cannot stand by idly and put thousands upon thousands of Pacificans at risk. To hold large gatherings, and allow persons to congregate, when tensions are high and there are many are armed with guns and "low potency explosives", would be a virtual death sentence for dozens, at the least, if not hundreds.

How could I ever allow such things to happen to The People? That is why we have taken the steps we have taken. I intend to meet with the Justice to see what can be done to reconcile any discrepancies of our actions with the law, and I intend to put forth legislation to the Legislative Assembly to help formalise and regularise these measures, to create means of enactment, enforcement, and oversight to maintain peace and order while giving the maximum amount of respect to individual rights achievable.

As for our intervention in the Midwest, we could not stand idly by as a fundamentalist Governor stood poised to impose his absurdist, bigoted, racist, views upon the population. We could not stand idly by as every Tom, Dick, and Harry seemed to be establishing his own militia or self-proclaimed government. We could not stand idly by our neighbours cried out for help. That is why we have intervened- at the request of the residents of the region. We must recognise their separate nature, yes, but we must also realise that the leaders of the Government there have been outlawed- which is why I shall seek to find a temporary administrator for those regions, and I hope that we may hand over control back to a local provisional authority or the federal government as soon as possible.

Dave willing, this crisis shall come to an end soon, and peace can return to this country. We may hopefully reconcile with one another in a spirit of forgiveness and unity. We may hope that order shall be the order of the day, that the Constitution will be upheld, that our constitutional order- the string with which all facets of Atlasian life are held together- will once again reign supreme. But until that time, when the government can reassert its authority over the whole nation, and the rule of law be honoured by all, we must and we will take measures to ensure that, at the very least, the constitutional order is maintained in this region.

Thank you, and I am now open for questions.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #280 on: October 05, 2014, 05:38:04 PM »

- Governor Varavour, two questions: There have been reports that race-riots have broken out in heavily African-American and Hispanic neighborhoods in San Francisco, Pueblo, Los Angles, Phoenix, and Tucson over what have been, according to protesters, countless acts of brutality against unarmed African-American and Hispanic citizens by members of the Pacific Defense Forces during the current state of emergency.  Some reports have placed the death toll as high as 115, but we await confirmation of these numbers from the Secretary of Interior Affairs.  How do you plan to deal with these riots?  Are the protesters allegations legitimate or the result of outside agitators?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #281 on: October 05, 2014, 05:53:11 PM »

I'm now in charge of reestablishing the constitutional order. You are dismissed. Thank you for your service. We will send your things.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #282 on: October 05, 2014, 06:10:29 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2014, 06:15:35 PM by Governor Varavour »

- Governor Varavour, two questions: There have been reports that race-riots have broken out in heavily African-American and Hispanic neighborhoods in San Francisco, Pueblo, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Tucson over what have been, according to protesters, countless acts of brutality against unarmed African-American and Hispanic citizens by members of the Pacific Defense Forces during the current state of emergency.  Some reports have placed the death toll as high as 115, but we await confirmation of these numbers from the Secretary of Interior Affairs.  How do you plan to deal with these riots?  Are the protesters allegations legitimate or the result of outside agitators?

Senator X,

I am surprised to hear reports of such serious strife. The Pacific Defense Force has been deployed, within the Pacific Region, only around key government installations. The regular police, aided by special divisions, have been responsible for keeping the peace and enforcing curfew during this time, so I am at a loss to hear of their presence on neighbourhood streets, this would represent a serious deviation from orders if what you are saying is true. What reason is there for brutality against citizens, at this time?

I am certain that the casualty figure you quote is a dramatic exaggeration, others elsewhere may have become inured to such tragedy but we have certainly not, so again, if such things had happened I, at the very least, would have heard of them, not to mention the rest of us. I do not see a way for such serious confrontation to have come about- this is more than twice the number of those killed in the Rodney King riots back in 1992!

I once more urge all residents of the Pacific Region to stay in their homes and avoid travel if possible; this is not mandated outside curfew hours, but it is highly advisable. I tell all those who feel anger or are displeased with current affairs to remember that we all share these feelings, and that they should think of their families, their colleagues, their neighbours, before doing anything rash. I have faith in The People of the Pacific. Thus I am inclined to believe that external agents would be responsible for these events, if they are actually happening- which I once more would be surprised if they were, at least to the extent you describe.

It is important that the media continue to report regional goings-on and breaking news as they would normally. In such a time of crisis we cannot afford to have The People be both fearful of the future, and ignorant of the the present.

Thank you, and next question.

I'm now in charge of reestablishing the constitutional order. You are dismissed. Thank you for your service. We will send your things.

With what authority do you make such a statement? Whence does this authority derive? I cannot, have not, and will not acquiesce to such demands.

Next question.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #283 on: October 05, 2014, 06:43:30 PM »

Will you abide by the ruling of Justice Bacon King? Will you end the illegal occupation of the Midwest?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #284 on: October 05, 2014, 07:58:58 PM »

Will you abide by the ruling of Justice Bacon King? Will you end the illegal occupation of the Midwest?

We intend to discuss recent events with the Justice shortly, I have acted in broad conformation with precedent and in proportion to events. The most important thing right now is to maintain law and order in the region and prevent a slide into chaos, and I will abide by those interests first and foremost before any other.

As for our securing of three states in the Midwest, I have already laid out our plans. I have also seen Adam FitzGerald's remarks and would like to read my response to them for you now;

Dear Mr Adam FitzGerald,

We received your comments with both shock and outrage, it must be admitted. It is patently absurd for you to maintain that "war is not the answer" and then threaten to wage one on the defence forces of a neighboring region! Some have called recent events a civil war, but if you were to make good on your threats it would undoubtedly be one; imagine, the forces of one federal region firing upon those of another! It is not 1861, for God's sake!

I will tell you what I had been thinking, although I am quite hesitant to abide by what I will propose following your threats. I will ignore your partisan rants, for the sake of brevity. You will abide by the official recommendations made by the Department of Internal Affairs and proclaim your loyalty to the Federal Government and completely abide by their decisions. You will de-mobilise and de-activate the Midwest National Guard unless they are under the command of the Armed Forces. You will renounce any sort of fundamentalism yours and pledge to not undertake any law imposing it on the region. And you will apologise for your deeply incendiary and provocative remarks.

I am not at all sure this is a good idea, neither for the residents of the Midwest, judging by how quickly your region has slid into chaos and experienced massive fatalities, nor for the residents of the Pacific, judging by the tenor of your comments and the venom and hostility they contained. I seek to keep the peace and maintain order, but I am skeptical this proposal would achieve those ends. But I will put these terms before you, regardless.

The choice is yours, and you shall bear responsibility for whatever choices you make, so I desperately hope you choose wisely.

Governor Varavour

I will send these comments to Mr FitzGerald shortly. Next question?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #285 on: October 05, 2014, 09:55:57 PM »

With all due respect Governor, you have no right to occupy the Midwest.

The regional government is in place and currently working, Governor Fitzgerald has pledged his support for the President and Tyrion has commanded the National Guard and the Army to quell separatism, not the regional militias. I would like to encourage you to withdraw right away and continue to keep the peace in the Pacific instead of engaging in what would be unnecessary bloodshed.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #286 on: October 05, 2014, 09:59:48 PM »

Governor, I plan on deploying the Atlasian Army to the Midwest in order to prevent your militia from claiming control of another region. Cease this reckless activity immediately or I will be forced to bring you to trial for crimes against Atlasia. This is reckless at best and treasonous at worst.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #287 on: October 05, 2014, 10:13:09 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2014, 10:14:50 PM by Governor Varavour »

Governor, I plan on deploying the Atlasian Army to the Midwest in order to prevent your militia from claiming control of another region. Cease this reckless activity immediately or I will be forced to bring you to trial for crimes against Atlasia. This is reckless at best and treasonous at worst.

Mr President,

I am to take this as a abrogation of the conditions set by the Secretary of Internal Affairs? Or has the Midwest Governor affirmed his loyalty to your government?

I call for the mediation of the President Pro Tempore of the Senate in resolving this matter.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #288 on: October 05, 2014, 10:27:41 PM »

Mr President,

I am to take this as a abrogation of the conditions set by the Secretary of Internal Affairs? Or has the Midwest Governor affirmed his loyalty to your government?

I call for the mediation of the President Pro Tempore of the Senate in resolving this matter.

What is there to mediate? The President told you to stand down, you stand down.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #289 on: October 05, 2014, 10:30:41 PM »

Governor, you have no grounds or right to undertake this activity.

If you do not withdraw, there will be consequences for you and your region.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #290 on: October 05, 2014, 10:34:39 PM »

Mr President,

For the last time, I don't know how you've missed this, but I am loyal to President Tyrion, Secretary Cranberry, PPT Lumine, and the rest of the federal government. I by no means support the inexcusable actions of the secessionist movement, am completely opposed to treasonist Snowstalker, and oppose all other uprisings taking place.

My views should have nothing to do with why you're invading the Midwest. The Pacific Justice and the President told you to leave our region be, and I will leave your region be and withdrawal the MW regional guard/corps from the states of Montana, Wyoming and Colorado once you agree to get the Pac. Regional Guards out of our territory.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #291 on: October 05, 2014, 10:40:11 PM »

Mr President,

For the last time, I don't know how you've missed this, but I am loyal to President Tyrion, Secretary Cranberry, PPT Lumine, and the rest of the federal government. I by no means support the inexcusable actions of the secessionist movement, am completely opposed to treasonist Snowstalker, and oppose all other uprisings taking place.

My views should have nothing to do with why you're invading the Midwest. The Pacific Justice and the President told you to leave our region be, and I will leave your region be and withdrawal the MW regional guard/corps from the states of Montana, Wyoming and Colorado once you agree to get the Pac. Regional Guards out of our territory.

If this true, I issue the following:

Executive Order 10-10

All units of the Pacific Defence Force are to withdraw from territory the Midwest Region by no later than 12:00 on October 6, 2014.

I am most relieved we could avert a confrontation and that order shall be upheld in our neighboring regions.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #292 on: October 06, 2014, 02:14:02 AM »

Thank you for standing down.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #293 on: October 06, 2014, 11:51:14 AM »

Executive Order 10-11

Effective immediately, persons are allowed are allowed to organise peaceful gatherings on certain public property between the hours of 5:00pm and 9:00pm, local time, with the necessary approval of local authorities and under the supervision of police forces.

It should be noted that public property extends to roads, transportation systems, rivers, and so forth, and unauthorised gatherings in such areas shall be deemed trespass on public property and dealt with accordingly.

Peaceful gatherings on private property are to be permitted providing they are not considered harmful to public order and security, and that they are organised with the consent of the owner(s). Due to the present situation peaceful gatherings on private property shall be considered harmful to public order if not conducted in the same manner as approved gatherings on public property.

The state of martial law is lifted as there exists no statute or constitutional provision, regional or federal, detailing such a state of law; the declaration did not affect any actual change in law enforcement or any other facet of governance. The general state of emergency (as provided for in the Patriation of the Pacific Recovery Act 2014) is maintained.

The provisions of this order, and prior orders dealing with the regulation of public gatherings, are in conformance with the principle that government may regulate the time, place, and manner of expression, as established through legal precedent (cf. Police Dept. of Chicago v. Mosley, Ward v. Rock Against Racism).

The curfew is likewise maintained, as it is conforms with the established precedent of a compelling state interest, such as when a region has been ravaged by a natural disaster, or when its safety and welfare are otherwise threatened (as it is now), permitting their imposition (cf. Zemel v. Rusk).

The activation of units of the Pacific National Guard and the Pacific Defence Force, as part of the regional militia as opposed as a part of the Armed Forces, to maintain the public order, protect public utilities and infrastructure, and secure government offices and facilities, is well within the rights of the Governor as the commander-in chief of the regional National Guard and a state/regional defense force. As per the the Pacific Constitution, forces may be deployed during "public rebellion or in the interests of public safety", which applies to the present situation.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #294 on: October 06, 2014, 12:08:55 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2014, 01:05:39 PM by Ectoplasm X »

- Governor Varavour, two questions: There have been reports that race-riots have broken out in heavily African-American and Hispanic neighborhoods in San Francisco, Pueblo, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Tucson over what have been, according to protesters, countless acts of brutality against unarmed African-American and Hispanic citizens by members of the Pacific Defense Forces during the current state of emergency.  Some reports have placed the death toll as high as 115, but we await confirmation of these numbers from the Secretary of Interior Affairs.  How do you plan to deal with these riots?  Are the protesters allegations legitimate or the result of outside agitators?

Senator X,

I am surprised to hear reports of such serious strife. The Pacific Defense Force has been deployed, within the Pacific Region, only around key government installations. The regular police, aided by special divisions, have been responsible for keeping the peace and enforcing curfew during this time, so I am at a loss to hear of their presence on neighbourhood streets, this would represent a serious deviation from orders if what you are saying is true. What reason is there for brutality against citizens, at this time?

I am certain that the casualty figure you quote is a dramatic exaggeration, others elsewhere may have become inured to such tragedy but we have certainly not, so again, if such things had happened I, at the very least, would have heard of them, not to mention the rest of us. I do not see a way for such serious confrontation to have come about- this is more than twice the number of those killed in the Rodney King riots back in 1992!

I once more urge all residents of the Pacific Region to stay in their homes and avoid travel if possible; this is not mandated outside curfew hours, but it is highly advisable. I tell all those who feel anger or are displeased with current affairs to remember that we all share these feelings, and that they should think of their families, their colleagues, their neighbours, before doing anything rash. I have faith in The People of the Pacific. Thus I am inclined to believe that external agents would be responsible for these events, if they are actually happening- which I once more would be surprised if they were, at least to the extent you describe.

It is important that the media continue to report regional goings-on and breaking news as they would normally. In such a time of crisis we cannot afford to have The People be both fearful of the future, and ignorant of the the present.

Thank you, and next question.

Governor, I have two follow-up questions:  Recently, the SoIA's office has reported that the Pacific race-riots have already seen a higher death toll than initially reported.  My first question is what, if anything, do you plan to do to put an end to these increasingly violent and destructive riots, particularly in light of your previously expressed skepticism that death toll was anywhere near as high as had been rumored?  Secondly, how do you respond to critics who have either alleged that your initial response was a sign that the Pacific government is unaware of what is occurring within its own region or claimed that you have not taken quick or forceful enough action to quell this unrest and put a stop to the mass looting that has broken out in cities like Los Angles?

Pacific:
A death toll of 129 has been counted in a series of protest throughout the Pacific Region, especially in Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Tucson. The protesters were largely of Hispanic and African-Atlasian background, and are reported to protest against alleged causes of racial injustices when dealing with police forces. It is as of now unclear what caused the protest to go violent and cause the immense death toll of 103 protesters and 26 policemen.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #295 on: October 06, 2014, 12:11:23 PM »

Executive Order 10-12

Units of the Pacific National Guard and the Pacific Defence Force, amounting to 32,000 soldiers in total, are to be deployed in the cities of Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Tucson to restoring public order and contain and stop the violence in those regions.

An inquiry shall be launched to investigate the potential role of outside agitation in fomenting civil unrest.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #296 on: October 06, 2014, 12:20:50 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2014, 12:28:08 PM by Governor Varavour »

Governor, I have two follow-up questions:  Recently, the SoIA's office has reported that the Pacific race-riots have already seen a higher death toll than initially reported.  My first question is what, if anything, do you plan to do to put an end to these increasingly violent and destructive riots, particularly in light of your previously expressed skepticism that death toll was anywhere near as high as had been rumored?

I have just issued an executive order calling up the Pacific National Guard and the Pacific Defence Force to deploy in the affected neighborhoods of the cities experiencing arrest. I advise you to look at the Secretary's response, however, as he reports 63 persons have died. That is far too many, 63 too many, but it is much less than what some had claimed before. I would also like to forcefully state that no person, you or anyone else, should make claims unsupported by the authorities, to "stir the pot" or whatnot. I cannot put this in stronger terms.

Secondly, how do you respond to critics who have either alleged that your initial response was a sign that the Pacific government is unaware of what is occurring within its own region or claimed that you have not taken quick or forceful enough action to quell this unrest and put a stop to the mass looting that has broken out in cities like Los Angeles?

It seems likely these protests have been fomented by external agents seeking to destabilise our region, the claim of "police brutality" is absurd as there have been no reports of such even up till now. I think that no one will say I have not been forceful in keeping order, I think the government in our region has been the most proactive during this crisis. Again, the claims that "mass looting" or even "violent and destructive riots" are taking place are unsubstantiated ones, and I advise you from making them for the sake of The People.

I am pleased to report that the Pacific Justice has recognised our recent actions (or those still in force) as constitutional.

Thank you for your questions, but we must be off, so that will be all.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #297 on: October 06, 2014, 12:37:24 PM »

Executive Order 10-12

Units of the Pacific National Guard and the Pacific Defence Force, amounting to 32,000 soldiers in total, are to be deployed in the cities of Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Tucson to restoring public order and contain and stop the violence in those regions.

You can only legally do this if the writ of habeas corpus has been lawfully suspended by the Senate... is this the case? If not then the military can't be used for "law enforcement or policing duties" which is transparently what you're using them for.

Let's meet halfway here- make a new executive order restricting/clarifying these units' conduct and I won't overturn this order. They can be positioned on any public property in the city but they can't make any effort to enforce any law or do any cop things unless the Senate gives the go-ahead. They can go on marches and even do some exercises if you want them to help deter violence based on their visibility alone. NO law enforcement though. I'll also allow National Guard and Defense Force units to accompany uniformed police officers at a 1 to 1 ratio to ensure their security. Hell, I'll even let you count the soldiers from activated reserves in these units that are police officers in civilian life to serve as police instead of solider here as long as they wear the right uniform.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #298 on: October 06, 2014, 01:16:26 PM »

There is a distinction to be made between the Armed Forces proper and a state regional militia, which the Pacific National Guard and Pacific Defence Force are acting as. I believe this is the legal workaround here. The National Guard can act both as an armed force and a militia, strange but true, it seems. This how "states" can maintain "state National Guards" and "state defense forces" as they "do in the US", without violating Art. I, § 10, Cl. 3 of the "US Constitution", which states that no "state shall, without the consent of Congress... keep troops, or ships of war in time of peace."

If not, this is an absurd restriction (which didn't appear in the US Constitution, it should be noted). Let me know what you make of it. As for habeas corpus, that deals with unlawful imprisonment, so I'm not sure how that pertains here. Your proposal sounds good but I'll address it if that becomes necessary.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #299 on: October 06, 2014, 03:59:16 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2014, 04:00:53 PM by Bacon King »

There is a distinction to be made between the Armed Forces proper and a state regional militia, which the Pacific National Guard and Pacific Defence Force are acting as. I believe this is the legal workaround here. The National Guard can act both as an armed force and a militia, strange but true, it seems. This how "states" can maintain "state National Guards" and "state defense forces" as they "do in the US", without violating Art. I, § 10, Cl. 3 of the "US Constitution", which states that no "state shall, without the consent of Congress... keep troops, or ships of war in time of peace."

If not, this is an absurd restriction (which didn't appear in the US Constitution, it should be noted). Let me know what you make of it. As for habeas corpus, that deals with unlawful imprisonment, so I'm not sure how that pertains here. Your proposal sounds good but I'll address it if that becomes necessary.

Simfan did you even read my legal decision that I made against you...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

"Law" includes the Atlasian Constitution, which states:

lawful suspension of Habeas Corpus is a prerogative of the Senate:

i.e. according to the regional constitution, the only time you can use soldiers to enforce the law is when it's consistent with the federal constitution that says it can only be done when the Senate suspends habeas corpus

Furthermore the distinction between "armed forces" and "militia" is irrelevant because check out this other part of the Federal Constitution:

So hey check that out, Senatorial consent is required for using militias to do things like enforce laws and suppress insurrections, isn't that neat.

Also stop talking about the US Constitution because it doesn't matter here. We're talking about the Atlasian Constitution. Maybe you can cite US jurisprudence for comparable clauses between the two documents but even then Atlasia-specific things supercede anything American. Consider for example that the only reason the Southeast is allowed to have a militia in spite of the Atlasian version of the "no keeping troops in time of peace without the consent of congress" law because I found a beautiful technicality where the Senate referenced the Southeast militia like a decade ago . Not to mention Simfan that your entire militia/armed forces dichotomy is bunk because State National Guards exist due to a series of Federal Laws starting with the Militia Act of 1792 which defined their structure and everything. You may note that you will not find any Atlasian law referencing Regional militias or any Pacific law regarding them
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies