Office of Fmr. Governor Simfan34
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:03:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Fmr. Governor Simfan34
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24
Author Topic: Office of Fmr. Governor Simfan34  (Read 62165 times)
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: January 09, 2015, 07:21:08 PM »

Governor, the council has passed the Ensure our Future Act.

Ensure Our Future Act

1. A scholarship program shall be created to provide $5,000 each to well qualified children with a GPA of 3.0 or above whose parents never received above a high school education, with the amount given rising based on qualifications

2. $500 million will be appropriated to this program, with additional funding accorded to the program through a public-private partnership by charitable donations and coordination with non-governmental organizations

3. A non-partisan commission will be created to mandate fair school districts to stop the practice redlining school districts

4. The "The Get Involved in School Act" shall hereby repealed

5. $50 million in block grants shall be provided for technology use in the classroom in under-performing schools

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #351 on: January 10, 2015, 03:20:50 PM »

I sign the aforestated bills.

x Varavour
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #352 on: January 25, 2015, 04:00:17 PM »

my pen finger is getting twitchy, guys...
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #353 on: January 26, 2015, 01:00:58 AM »

Whadya want me to do? Should we be extending voting times or something? I PM'ed the other councilors and 4 days later there are still no more votes.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #354 on: January 29, 2015, 11:39:11 AM »
« Edited: January 29, 2015, 01:17:51 PM by Governor Varavour »

I hope to propose some laws that will help support our region's families in the coming days.

And I also would like to add that, in conformance with the Patriation of the Pacific Recovery Act 2014, any sort of armed movement will be rigourously regulated and expected to fully comply with the laws of this region. As all of us normally are.

Furthermore elections are coming up, I encourage all those considering running for the Legislative Council to do so, and soon! I've also just realised that this position, unlike any other gubernatorial office in the country, has a three rather than a four month term...
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #355 on: January 29, 2015, 01:07:04 PM »

Furthermore elections are coming up, I encourage all those considering running for the Legislative Council to do so, and soon! I've also just realised that this position, unlike any other gubernatorial office in the country, has a three rather than a four month term...

What?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #356 on: January 29, 2015, 01:17:24 PM »

Yes, I knew something was amiss. I was baffeled to see that Flo had posted we had an gubernatorial election coming up, which I hadn't remembered being there, but I suppose I took it for granted since we have so many elections as is. No wonder I "just realised" it, it was never the case.

Very well. We still have Legislative Council elections coming up, though!
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #357 on: January 29, 2015, 01:23:25 PM »

The first moment I thought "have we been doing it wrong all the time?" Tongue
Anyway, the Council Election there is, and great to see we already have two declared candidates! Who knows, maybe we'll have a competitive election this time, as well?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #358 on: January 29, 2015, 06:40:25 PM »

The first moment I thought "have we been doing it wrong all the time?" Tongue
Anyway, the Council Election there is, and great to see we already have two declared candidates! Who knows, maybe we'll have a competitive election this time, as well?

Considering we had, what, six candidates last time around, I hope we can have an equally competitive and exciting election again this time, and further establish the positive pattern of active government and an active region that has been my and pretty much everyone else's hope and goal for the Pacific.

However, I think it is imperative that we establish the willingness and ability of candidates to remain fully active throughout the full length of their term. We've done much to improve activity but absentee MLCs remain a recurring problem and quite seriously affect the process of governance in our region. Considering there are only 3 members of the Legislative Council, for one to be missing effectively results in a shutdown of the legislative process. (Paleobrazilian, are you reading this?)

Since we are actually three weeks out from the election as of today, I'd like to see more candidates declare soon, and hopefully we could set up a debate between them so that... well, so that we get all the good things that one gets from a debate which I doubt I need to explain to you-- but most importantly so that they can be asked about their ability to serve consistently and actively.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #359 on: January 30, 2015, 12:53:53 AM »

Yes, inactivity during the council period is a problem. Maybe, it could established that if one councillor does no legislative work for, idk, four days, the Governor can have the right to cast a tie-breaking vote if such should be needed?

Oh yes, a debate would be a great idea - I would say once we have 3 or 4 declared candidates, such could start of, wouldn't you think?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #360 on: February 01, 2015, 01:37:58 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2015, 01:42:33 AM by Governor Varavour »

I agree. I hope we can get an active council and I look forward to the debate.

I wanted to inform you all that I will be rather... occupied with matters other than the governance of the Pacific Region for the next few days and generally more than has been the case these past few weeks or so. Indeed, I actually scheduled time to introduce some bills but had to push it back because I had other (school) work to do.

This is not a leave of absence, just more of a note that I won't be on here absolutely all the time, the Atlas always open a tab in Chrome (you see, that is rather dangerous when you're trying to do work and are as easily distractable as I am). So I won't be able to check every nook, cranny, thread, or post that there'll be.

I'll be around, but I suppose the point I'm trying most to get across is that if there's something you want to tell me or look at, or really just anything you'd like me to be aware of, send me a PM about it. Otherwise there'd just be no guarantee of me seeing it, I could miss it when going over these parts for things that need doing or comment.

I ask this based off of my last busy period (which I assume was much busier than this will be), when my regular checks of the forum had me missing much important business regardless.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #361 on: February 01, 2015, 04:43:34 PM »

If you want proof of why I'll have to browse the forum less often it's because things like this or this tend happen when I come across something interesting when I do. And I don't really have time for that- my word-generating powers need to be directed towards, you know, work I actually have to do.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #362 on: February 01, 2015, 04:59:16 PM »

You are a prolific writer!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #363 on: February 05, 2015, 07:25:59 PM »

Too prolific... or more properly far too prolific with the wrong things. Wink
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #364 on: February 08, 2015, 09:16:12 AM »

Governor, the council has passed the Restore our Rivers Act.

Restore our Rivers Act

1. The Ice Harbor Dam, Lower Monumental Dam, Little Goose Dam and Lower Granite Dam located in the Columbia River watershed shall be slated  for destruction at the earliest possible date

2. A commission shall be created to assess the environmental impact of other dams located in the Pacific Region, as well as the effect to the local community of the elimination of the dams

3. Dams identified by the earlier stated commission to be defunct/harmful to the wildlife in the river, with the cost not outweighing the benefits, will be retroactively torn down according to the guidelines put forth by the committee

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #365 on: February 08, 2015, 02:09:30 PM »

I hereby veto the aforestated bill.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #366 on: February 08, 2015, 02:16:08 PM »

Horrible veto.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #367 on: February 08, 2015, 02:26:37 PM »

Who do you work for? International Rivers? Are you a poverty fetishist?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #368 on: February 08, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »

Poverty turns me on, yes.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #369 on: February 08, 2015, 02:43:04 PM »

In that case your opinion is understandable.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #370 on: February 09, 2015, 04:53:34 PM »

I shall refrain from making an appointment in consideration of the proximity of the elections to the Legislative Council.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #371 on: February 18, 2015, 11:51:44 AM »

With the elections concluded, I hereby appoint Spamage to the Legislative Council to fill the vacancy until the end of the Fourteenth Council, which is 21 February.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #372 on: February 18, 2015, 03:59:36 PM »

With the elections concluded, I hereby appoint Spamage to the Legislative Council to fill the vacancy until the end of the Fourteenth Council, which is 21 February.

But that would've made so much sense to appoint him before the elections, the Council could've gotten much more done.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #373 on: February 18, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »

But that would've made so much sense to appoint him before the elections, the Council could've gotten much more done.

See, as I said before (did I? I might have actually mentioned this in PM instead), I did not want to prejudice the result of the election by giving a candidate the advantage of incumbency. Now, with this great kerfuffle about the results it might be a moot point, but I suppose that doesn't affect things at this juncture.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #374 on: February 18, 2015, 04:42:28 PM »

Now, concerning the aforementioned kerfuffle, the issue raised is indeed concerning, or as Adam put it, "disturbing, but only to a moderate degree of depth". (Had this concerned a Labor candidate, however... Tongue) Obviously it must be looked into as soon as possible. When I have time to retrieve and go over them, I will look at my calculations of the results and see what, if anything, might explain this apparent discrepancy.

I must say, though, the fact that we are at this point at all is rather remarkable, if you think about it. In order for us to get here, there had to have been an election with at least more candidates than seats (which, although one might take it for granted now, was not the case when I started!), and that there were multiple candidates who were actually competitive, a result close enough for it to be in doubt, and people who actually cared enough about the result of an election to the Pacific legislature to raise the alarm when they thought that the results seemed dubious. I'm surprised at how quickly this was brought up, myself-- and that is a sign of progress. So great work, all of you guys. Cheesy

I will certainly look into this- and I do acknowledge I could have screwed up somewhere along the way. We'll see once I go over the spreadsheets.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies