Think of this...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:49:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Think of this...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Think of this...  (Read 2220 times)
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2012, 02:09:34 AM »
« edited: August 03, 2012, 02:25:16 AM by MorningInAmerica »

I know we're all battening down in our partisan hatches as November approaches...but serious question for American Democrats on the forum...

What happens to theparty IF the most popular Democratic politician since Kennedy loses his re-election bid?

And while it may sound like a trite question...seriously to the Democrats. Where do they turn?  

(Sorry mods, again. Feel free to move it. There's so many forums it's hard to figure it out!)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 02:10:27 AM »

My early prediction: A primay.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 02:14:13 AM »

I still think the party should move right in that scenario, as it would obviously need to make inroads with the independent and conservative voters it has alienated.

As far as running a candidate, I still think the 2016 nomination would be Hillary's if she wants it.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 02:14:30 AM »

Which Kennedy?
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 02:16:13 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2012, 02:29:57 AM by MorningInAmerica »

2016 Dem primary would be amazing. I actually think Hillary would be more likely to run in such a scenario (as opposed to her running after an Obama 8-year presidency). The possibilities are endless. Does Biden run? Cuomo? Warner? The good thing for both parties is that they both have a great crop of potential candidates to choose from.

In other words, 2016 can't possibly be NEARLY as dull as the 2012 presidential primaries.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 02:18:22 AM »

2016 Dem primary would be amazing. I actually think Hillary would be more likely to run in such a scenario (as opposed to her running after an Obama 8-year presidency). The possibilities are endless. Does Biden run? Cuomo? Warner? The good thing for both parties is that they both have a great crop of potential candidates to choose from.

In other words, 2016 can't possibly NEARLY as dull as the 2012 presidential primaries.

If Hillary runs, it'll be as dull as 2000 IMO.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 02:24:18 AM »

In other words, 2016 can't possibly NEARLY as dull as the 2012 presidential primaries.

If Hillary runs, it'll be as dull as 2000 IMO.

If by "dull" you mean "predictable", then I agree. But I can't think of a Democrat that would give Republicans more of a heart-ache.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 02:25:56 AM »

I meant JACK Kennedy. JKF ('61-'63)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 08:11:20 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2012, 09:29:00 AM by pbrower2a »

I know we're all battening down in our partisan hatches as November approaches...but serious question for American Democrats on the forum...

What happens to theparty IF the most popular Democratic politician since Kennedy loses his re-election bid?

And while it may sound like a trite question...seriously to the Democrats. Where do they turn?  

(Sorry mods, again. Feel free to move it. There's so many forums it's hard to figure it out!)

Albania. Andorra. Argentina. Belgium. Botswana. Brazil. Bulgaria. Canada. Chile. The Republic of China (Taiwan, that is). Costa Rica. Croatia. Czech Republic...

It may be that secular liberalism has lost its relevance in national elections for several decades and can survive only locally as a political influence, perhaps in urban areas with political machines that serve the pariahs of the political order -- like Irish Catholics during the Gilded Age. It may mean that if you are a 66-year-old teacher of biology or earth science you choose between retirement and selling out evolution and the fossil record to the officially-mandated interpretation of science. If you are a teacher of history or social studies you learn to ignore the Civil Rights Movement and focus attention on the 'Reagan Revolution' because power is the ultimate reality in political life -- or retire or find another occupation. If you are a preacher you learn to preach subordination to tycoons and executives as if that were the Gospel -- or find another way of making a living. If you are a police officer you learn excuses for harassing dissidents or find another career.  Maybe the personalities of Karl Rove or Grover Norquist go beyond question.  Separation of Church and State is understood again as a myth, and women will be subordinate to their husbands as employees will be to their bosses.

There will have to be incredible economic growth to take the sting out of the injustice and inequity -- but the government will have no responsibility for such.

It means that the Republican Party can marginalize secularist types indefinitely especially because it has sure and permanent majorities and can probably change electoral laws at will to its convenience. Media of course will defer because the owners know what is best for churning out at the least a meager profit.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 08:22:54 AM »

Pbrower seems to have articulated the new Democrat philosophy of giving the farm away to white college women, minorities, welfare kings, and government unions while telling everyone else to go pound sand.

I suspect their next guy will do so but not as openly.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 09:27:09 AM »

Pbrower seems to have articulated the new Democrat philosophy of giving the farm away to white college women, minorities, welfare kings, and government unions while telling everyone else to go pound sand.

I suspect their next guy will do so but not as openly.

Strange interpretation of what I said. It's that liberalism will have died as a political force, at least on the national scale. That's why I had the list of countries with democratic government and didn't have Zimbabwe, Zambia, Yemen, Venezuela, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Syria ... on my list. Zaire and Yugoslavia of course no longer exist.

If President Obama fails to win re-election without an economic meltdown as severe as that of 2007-2009, a diplomatic or military debacle, or a personal scandal, then no liberal can. The political order can then freeze, and conservatives can then tell liberals "My Way or the Highway" and mean it. Heck, Mexico might become a better place to live once American addicts can no longer afford the illegal drugs that make much of Mexico a combat zone. After all, honest work will bring only poverty.      
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 09:45:07 AM »

You shouldn't get so hyper when contemplating the other side winning.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 10:39:38 AM »

The party should move left or get out of the way.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 10:43:38 AM »

Get out of the way of what?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 10:45:47 AM »

Get out of the way of what?

Out of the way of the American people.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 11:20:57 AM »

And leave politics to the Republicans?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 12:10:55 PM »

If republicans try to cut Medicare while lowering taxes for the rich, expect another wave in 2014.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 07:01:18 PM »

The potential Democrats for 2016 are going to have amazing resumes.

Hillary Clinton was Senator for the third most populated state in the Union, and Secretary of State. And I'd say her political experience is equivalent to a senior adviser for Bill Clinton.

Hickenlooper and O'Malley have Executive experience as Governors and Mayors.

Emanuel has Executive experience as Mayor of Chicago, and Legislative experience in addition to White House work in two administrations.

Mario Cuomo is a New York Governor, who served as Attorney General in a large state (where he has some experience with Wall Street crooks) and in the US Cabinet as HHS Secretary.

Their best arguments would be that Obama was punished for Bush's economy, but that he also wasn't ready for the responsibility of the presidency, which explains some early mistakes that they can avoid.

The 2010 election meant that potential rising stars lost, taking the likes of Pennsylvania's Joe Sestak and Florida's Alex Sink out of consideration.

I could see an Al Franken suggesting that Obama's problem was that he just wasn't progressive enough.

The big question is what Obama would do. He would be in his Mid 50s, with high name recognition and the support of a few key constituencies, in addition to some attractive accomplishments. And he would have the excuse that no President could have been reelected with that economy.

Hillary or Obama would start out as the clear frontrunner.

In the unlikely event both choose to run, it would leave room for a third candidate who can argue it's time for someone new.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 07:07:03 PM »

Emanuel has Executive experience as Mayor of Chicago, and Legislative experience in addition to White House work in two administrations.

Rahm Emanuel??? Really?Huh?
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 07:45:21 PM »

Rahm Emanuel??? Really?Huh?

Yeah Rahm can rot in Chicago.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 07:46:17 AM »

Surely Bubba is more popular than Obama?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 05:06:42 PM »

Of course he is, but it won't do him any good because the 22nd Amendment doesn't have exceptions for non-consecutive terms like they do in some other countries.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 01:54:57 AM »

Of course he is, but it won't do him any good because the 22nd Amendment doesn't have exceptions for non-consecutive terms like they do in some other countries.

Ah misunderstood the thread.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 02:43:25 AM »

The potential Democrats for 2016 are going to have amazing resumes.

Hillary Clinton was Senator for the third most populated state in the Union, and Secretary of State. And I'd say her political experience is equivalent to a senior adviser for Bill Clinton.

Hickenlooper and O'Malley have Executive experience as Governors and Mayors.

Mario Cuomo is a New York Governor, who served as Attorney General in a large state (where he has some experience with Wall Street crooks) and in the US Cabinet as HHS Secretary.

Their best arguments would be that Obama was punished for Bush's economy, but that he also wasn't ready for the responsibility of the presidency, which explains some early mistakes that they can avoid.

The 2010 election meant that potential rising stars lost, taking the likes of Pennsylvania's Joe Sestak and Florida's Alex Sink out of consideration.

I could see an Al Franken suggesting that Obama's problem was that he just wasn't progressive enough.

The big question is what Obama would do. He would be in his Mid 50s, with high name recognition and the support of a few key constituencies, in addition to some attractive accomplishments. And he would have the excuse that no President could have been reelected with that economy.

Hillary or Obama would start out as the clear frontrunner.

In the unlikely event both choose to run, it would leave room for a third candidate who can argue it's time for someone new.

If Obama loses this year, there is no way he gets the nomination again.  The Democratic elites hate him for the record losses he has caused the party at the local and Congressional level during his Presidency. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies