Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 10:46:04 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Forum Community (Moderators: afleitch, Bacon King, Badger)
| | |-+  [Massive attention whoring obviously] I'm also leaving.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: [Massive attention whoring obviously] I'm also leaving.  (Read 1538 times)
oakvale
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2012, 03:58:27 am »
Ignore

Yeah, yeah, yeah,  I know these kinds of threads are a regular occurrence and the person making them is always back in a few weeks at most, but Polnut's thread made me realise that I've been thinking about taking a break from the Atlas for months by now, and there's no time like the present. Smiley

I'm quitting for similar reasons to Polnut, too - I noticed the other day that I was getting genuinely frustrated by some of the idiocy on the 2012 board, and the shock of recognition was painful. I don't want to "argue" with the deluge (!) of hacks and freaks that have been flooding the forum for the last year or so. I don't need MorningInAmerica's posts in my life. I can count the worthwhile new members who've joined in the last twelve months on one hand (Nix, Nathan, Redalgo, etc.) - that's not the forum community's fault, by any means, but it does mean I don't particularly enjoy posting here any more.

As a sidenote to my various friends on here, I'll probably still pop into the IRC to troll Snowstalker et al- I just don't want to post on the Atlas any more... at all.

I've had some good conversations and "met" a lot of interesting (in every sense of the word Tongue) people on here, and I wouldn't say I regret joining per se, but there comes a time when you've got to put up or shut up, and I really, really can't imagine anything worse than still being here come 2013 when the whole horrific cycle begins again.

Adios! Smiley

PS: Yelnoc - I'd still like to take part in the second round of the chess tournament if you get around to it - I'm still registered on Gameknot, obviously, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

Seriously, go die in a ditch, anti-semitic scumbag.
Scottish Robb Stark
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 04:20:33 am »
Ignore

Please don't ! Cry You're such a great addition to the forum, and many people will miss your excellent posts.

Why let the hacks affect you this way ? I, for one, don't post in the 2012 board. You could try doing the same, and I'm sure your opinion of the forum would improve significantly. Smiley

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
afleitch
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 06:55:57 am »

NO :O

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 08:34:05 am »
Ignore

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.

...and this is a pity, but I understand your complaint. The quality of discussion on most sections of the forum devoted to political topics has deteriorated significantly since I began posting less than one year ago, and because of this I find it increasingly difficult to make meaningful contributions.

Unfortunately, this has as much to do with how most members react to hacks and trolls as it does with the hacks and trolls themselves. They disrupt this community as much as we, collectively, allow them to disrupt it. We can spend our time on the forum thinking of droll retorts to the latest bilge from the WhiteReigns and NYJews, or we can participate in interesting, substantive discussions with those here who are willing to engage with us.

Thank You, Jon Lester
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.55, S: -7.91

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 09:16:35 am »
Ignore

You truly are one of the titans of this forum, Oakvale. Hopefully you'll be back someday, but if not, I certainly wish you all the best in your real life endeavors. If only certain members of this forum could spend less time on it *ahem* me *ahem* Tongue But yeah, it's really been a pleasure getting to have discussions with you on certain issues. All the best.

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 09:20:20 am »
Ignore

Dammit.  You're one of the few people here worth talking to (as countless members of our IRC will attest, I often come in and wait for Oakvale to appear, he being the person that makes that little circle work).

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -1.22

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 09:51:54 am »
Ignore

Two great posters in one day??  Good grief.

Well, what I wrote on Polnut's threat applies to you just as much.  It's really a pleasure to read your posts when I'm on here.  I've also been most grateful for the times I've shown doubt about staying around recently, and your kind and supportive responses really did get me out of some of my funk.  I hate to see you go, but I understand what you might want to.

FWIW, the scrollbar has become a great ally on the forum, it's vey easy for me to just pass over most of the posts I can tell early on I don't want to read.  But I think Nix makes a good point that some trolling upsets everyone in various threads so much that a whole potentially important discussion gets sabotaged.  It has also prompted me to be more reticent to post in some cases, think that no one will respond to a post I put up about something in the midst of the big fireworks show taking place.  I have, in the midst of all this, managed to pay more and more attention to the posts of people from whom I can really learn things, and you're one of those guys.  Learning from the best here definitely, I've found, outweighs the annoyances. 

I sure do hope to see you in the second round, and any following rounds, of Atlast chess tournaments!  Take good care.

Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 09:57:22 am »
Ignore

Sad to see you go, Oakvale, though I can definitely sympathize.  Hell, I think it's been a month since my last effort-post.  I hope you keep dropping in on the IRC because, like Mikado said, you're one of the guys that makes it work.  And yeah, you'll definitely get an invite for the next chess tournament.  About that, I was hoping we could wait a couple of months, maybe until November, because I've got two different schools I'm about to start on Monday.  Hope that's ok with everyone else.

Goodbye
Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 10:23:51 am »
Ignore

You've been talking about doing this for awhile, Oak, and hopefully it'll be a bit of a burden off of your shoulders to wrest yourself away from here for awhile. In the event you do return at some point - I urge you not go back into the 2012 board. Just... no. Don't do that. It makes the overall forum-going experience so much better! Either way though, regardless of how often we see you around now, I sincerely wish you the best and want to say it was an honor having you here. :]

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 10:31:34 am »
Ignore

Sorry to hear this Oakvale. I have been remiss in noting just what a fine poster you are. But I understand. Your desiring to take a break is a sign that you have your head on straight probably more than anything else. It is good that you will drop by from time to time. Best to you.

Steve
Simfan34
YaBB God
Ghana

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 12:53:59 pm »
Ignore

I don't want you to leave, though.

President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 12:57:10 pm »
Ignore

I am sorry to see this but glad you will still be in the chat room....I hope you choose to post again

patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 01:01:31 pm »
Ignore

I hope you and Polnut will re-consider and stick around as you are both very thoughtful posters. You are both correct that the election season sees a sharp spike in hacks and white noise in general. However, there are still many parts of the board worth reading and a lot of excellent posters.
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 01:34:34 pm »
Ignore

Oh no! Goodbye, Oakvale. Hope to see you again sometime. You've been one of our best posters and an institution of the Forum since I've been here and presumably long before.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Jbrase
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 01:37:21 pm »
Ignore

Cry

Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 02:22:32 pm »
Ignore

Oh, not two people now. Sad  Oakvale, I strongly encourage you to reconsider this, or at least try coming back at another time.  There have been times when I've thought about leaving this place, but it's really not all bad.

Farewell, for now.  I will continue to talk with you on the IRC.

Bacon King
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 02:43:29 pm »

Noooooooooooooooooo Sad

Dammit.  You're one of the few people here worth talking to (as countless members of our IRC will attest, I often come in and wait for Oakvale to appear, he being the person that makes that little circle work).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.
Bacon King: 1.  You're cute, in a weird Tom Wopat kind of way.
A.G. Snowstalker
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: -4.96

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 03:45:03 pm »
Ignore

http://client02.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.Mibbit.Net&channel=%23atlasforum

Come here if you want to say that to his face. It's the forum chat.

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 03:45:55 pm »
Ignore

Get the fuck out of here, Morning.

Ohhhh...lost your little butt-buddy Snowstalker? Your heart aching? Sad

Indeed, it's a tragedy. Your mother gave great head, by the way.

Wow. Yeah, I'm stunned at why Oakvale is leaving...

Herman Cain's Gold Chain
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 05:38:27 pm »
Ignore

Please don't go. We need you now more than ever. Sad

(Part of the 2012 Election Throwback Series)
Scottish Robb Stark
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 05:51:41 pm »
Ignore

Please don't go. We need you now more than ever. Sad

Indeed.

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
FBF
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 10:11:56 pm »
Ignore

Sad Sad Sad

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Јas
Jas
YaBB God
Malawi

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 02:08:12 pm »
Ignore

2 weeks leave granted. After that you'll be expected to return to posting duty. Don't make us send out the Mods to haul you in.

Funny 'cause it's true:
Very few people seriously allow facts to affect their opinions.

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 02:11:51 pm »
Ignore

I don't necessarily like you, Oakvale. But I do appreciate you.

Best of luck.

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 02:55:48 pm »
Ignore

Don't. Just ignore the trollboards like 2012.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout