Question for Ohio residents about racial divide...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:46:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Question for Ohio residents about racial divide...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Question for Ohio residents about racial divide...  (Read 3422 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 12:19:57 AM »

For the guy who said that black neighborhoods are always bad-

Come on down to Atlanta and you'll feel pretty dumb in about 5 minutes. I can't even name all the neighborhoods in the metro that are majority black and also really nice. Yeah, we have some bad black neighborhoods too, but enough upscale ones for someone like you to really take notice.

I have been to such suburbs and they really are very nice. But I have to wonder, if crime is low (which might not actually be low I suppose) then why don't white people live there?

Because many have the same attitude as timothy and assume they must be ghetto. And in Atlanta, as well as most other places, people tend to self segregate. My point however was that there are enough educated, upper income black people in Atlanta to populate some very nice suburbs.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 01:25:42 AM »

And Krazen ^^^ Yes, PG county is actually the wealthiest county in the US with a black majority. Dekalb County, GA is second.

Actually St. James Parish, LA is second and DeKalb is third. I have a list.
timothyinMD

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 03:20:37 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Pretty much sums up my opinion of the matter. I have lived in black majority areas - and I'm much happier now that I do not do so anymore. There are huge cultural differences and 'blaming whitey' for the bad decisions that black people make doesn't really fly.

Aren't parts of PG County in Maryland reasonable middle class areas? Median income is pretty high there.

Parts of PG County are very middle class, but the place is pretty run down in some parts and the crime is bad.  Yes it is the wealthiest majority black county in the nation, because of so many government workers.  That doesn't mean they're doing that amazing though.. I mean look, the competition is the little rural counties of the deep south.

It's indeed not racist to point out the terrible social problems plaguing the black community in America.   
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 03:33:33 PM »

Once a neighborhood goes black/majority black it goes down hill. There is no exception.  That's why there is angst.   Most of the USA lives in places where they've never been exposed to large black populations, so it's easy for a lot of people, like from Kentucky for example, to say "oh these people.. so racist"...  Nope, facts aren't racist

It's unfortunate that this is the case, but when 77% of black babies are born into broken homes, the result is social decay

How  right you are. Below is a neighborhood the blacks "took over" about 30 years ago, and you can see what a festering hell hole it has become. The whites that remain are obviously masochists, or married to a black or something.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 03:46:28 PM »

In CA, low income black neighborhoods are almost all gone.

Gone? What happened to them?  They're all relocated to prison-camps?

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »

It's indeed not racist to point out the terrible social problems plaguing the black community in America.   

There are plenty of problems everywhere. Majority white Portsmouth, Ohio is plagued by prescription drug abuse and several counties in East Kentucky and parts of Tennessee are permeated with methamphetamine, but race is hardly relevant to those situations. There are good and bad places everywhere, regardless of who lives there.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2012, 03:53:20 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2012, 03:59:07 PM by Torie »

In CA, low income black neighborhoods are almost all gone.

Gone? What happened to them?  They're all relocated to prison-camps?

In large numbers, they moved to places where Hispanics are thinner on the ground is your answer. That precinct I posted above is one of the most black in the state at this point, representative of about 5 or 6 precincts in the area. The one I put up is Ladera Heights. Adjacent Baldwin Hills is similar. A secondary factor is that there has been a black dispersion as the racism quotient in CA has declined, and blacks feel more comfortable living in places where they are a relatively small minority, even if relatively poor. The Antelope Valley has many such places.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2012, 04:00:53 PM »

Well alright, but I find it a bit dubious that people as poor as that can afford to move.  Maybe the poorer half or three-quarters of them became homeless and/or went to the prison.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2012, 04:03:54 PM »

Well alright, but I find it a bit dubious that people as poor as that can afford to move.  Maybe the poorer half or three-quarters of them became homeless and/or went to the prison.

You ever hear of the "Chicken Bone Express" from the Mississippi delta to Chicago?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2012, 06:52:46 PM »

I'm an Ohio resident. There's not much I can say about segregation that hasn't already been said, though I do want to second Reaganfan's comment about people born after 1990 (I was born in 1997, myself). About my own racism, I'm just going to be honest and say I really don't have any black friends, though my school has rather few blacks. I do have several Indian-American (a la Bobby Jindal, not Tom Cole) friends, as well as Hispanics. Otherwise, my friends are white, pretty much. (Interestingly enough, lots of people don't consider my Ashkenazi ancestry "white", due to my brown, Mediterranean skin -- I'm frequently mistaken for an Arab (which I look like) or an Indian (because I hang out with them)).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies