Question for Ohio residents about racial divide... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:09:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Question for Ohio residents about racial divide... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for Ohio residents about racial divide...  (Read 3449 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 04, 2012, 04:21:46 AM »

I live about an hour outside of Cleveland. The city I live in is 95% white, 2% African American. Cleveland is 37% white, 53% African American.

When discussing politics with people of all ages, I find that many in the 30 years old+ range often mention how they are "fed up" with black people. These people do not seem like racists. They have black friends, work with black people, and many even voted for Obama. However, they moan more about black people than taxes or spending or unemployment. Seriously. This is how I know I'm definitely not a racist, because I don't complain about African Americans.

But it's everywhere. You can be talking about purchasing a home and someone will say, "The neighborhood is all black" in a negative context. Or they'll say, "Don't go there...that neighborhood is bad" (wink wink, nod nod).

Obviously it's a real thing. It's called white flight. It's been happening for years.
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/03/census_data_reveals_new_migrat.html

I mentioned in a previous thread, I spoke to a union worker who hates George W. Bush, voted for Barack Obama, but told me he was voting for Romney because...and I quote..."Ever since Obama became President, these blacks all walk around with an attitude like they own the world and I'm sick of it".

As I mentioned, it's almost only people born before 1990. If I had a conversation with a group in their late 20s/early 30s or older and an 18 or 19 year old girl joined the conversation, she'd be shell-shocked. Perhaps growing up in the 2000s was different than growing up prior to that. Perhaps her parents were born in the 1970s or even 1980s instead of being born in the 1950s like many parents of people who are a bit older.

For posters like TJ and others from Ohio or Rust Belt states...has only else seen any evidence of this? I can't possibly be the only one?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »

Every single reply in this thread screams of honesty, intelligence and class. I'm very proud.

I will note, I don't have any black friends. There was one kid who my sister and I played with whose family bought a beautiful brand-new house down the street from us circa 1997/1998, but his mother did not approve of his playing with us. My parents belief was that the mother did not want her kid playing with white children. This would be racism as well.

But yeah, I mean...on average I maybe see a handful of black people each day. Currently I work and see very few black people at work. It's not by choice, it's just where I live and contort.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies