Census Bureau seeks changes in how it measures race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:30:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Census Bureau seeks changes in how it measures race  (Read 781 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:50:55 PM »
« edited: August 08, 2012, 05:52:40 PM by cinyc »

HOPE YEN/AP via Anchorage Daily News

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/08/08/2578779/census-bureau-seeks-changes-in.html#storylink=cpy
----------
It would be interesting to see how this would change response rates.  The article says some Latino group are worried that there might be fewer self-described Hispanics if the race and Hispanic origin questions are combined - though from the Census Bureau press release, it appears that multiple responses were allowed to the combined question.

More information is available on Census' website here, including the slideshow presentation given to the press.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 06:42:04 PM »

I disagree. Hispanic isn't a race; for instance, I am a white Hispanic. The appropriate choice would be black, white, or mestizo.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 06:57:26 PM »

I disagree. Hispanic isn't a race; for instance, I am a white Hispanic. The appropriate choice would be black, white, or mestizo.

The combined question asked for the respondent's race or origin - not just "race" - and allowed more than one choice.   According to the slideshow, the percentage responding "White" on the combined question surveys dropped to the percentage typically reporting as non-Hispanic white under the two-question survey, as most Hispanics chose "Hispanic" alone.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 07:01:58 PM »

I like it, though I think they should be more explicit about Middle Eastern as an option. I've worked as a Census enumerator before, and in my experience people usually get either confused, upset, or sometimes angry when you can't let them pick Hispanic as a race. It would just make more sense to have it as part of one question, whether or not its anthropologically sound.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:42:33 AM »

I think there is little question that the "Other" racial category would be greatly reduced under the proposal. It is not unusual to see 30% other in heavy Hispanic areas as those respondents don't identify as a race, but as an ethnicity. The proposal would also make the DOJ classifications for the VRA much clearer, as currently they have to deal with assignment of each Hispanic+race group as one of a smaller subset of classes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies