Would Romney be one-term or two term president? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:29:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Would Romney be one-term or two term president? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would Romney be one-term or two term president?  (Read 3183 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

« on: August 04, 2012, 08:13:54 PM »

as much as I'd like to see that happen, there's really no way to tell.

I'm convinced that a president's skill or lack of skill at governing really doesn't have that much of an effect on whether they win a second term or not. It all comes down to the conditions and mood of the country come reelection time. Well that and maybe how well they campaign.

For instance, I think Bush I was a pretty competent executive. He made the tough choices when he had to, such as raising taxes and he managed to get us in and out of Iraq pretty painlessly, which is more than I can say for his son. And even with a Democratically controlled congress, he was able to pass meaningful legislation such as the Americans with disabilities act.

You look at all that and assume that Bush should have won reelection. Of course he didn't, because that pesky recession got pretty bad right around 1992. Voters didn't judge Bush for the good things he had accomplished when he was president. Instead they punished him for a bad economy that he had little control over.

I would say Clinton was a worse executive in his first term. Even with a Democratic congress, he failed to pass his most important piece of legislation, healthcare reform, and he was basically held hostage by the Republican congress for the last two years. Yes, he did have that showdown with Gingrich and he won political points, but he was basically limited to halting meaningful legislation as opposed to creating it. So yeah, pretty bad. And if you don't believe me check out his approval ratings during that time. Still, Clinton won reelection comfortably in 1996 as we were in the middle of the largest economic boom in decades and the world stage was relatively peaceful. I'm guessing people forgot about his bumbling first few years. They noted the good times we were having and voted to stay the course.

Sorry about the history lesson- this turned out way longer than I thought. But I think it proves my point. Romney could be a do nothing president, which I see happening, but if things are good in 2016 he'll probably win.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 12:33:35 AM »

I find it highly unlikely that the country would drop Obama in 2012 only to drop Romney again in 2016. 

One-term presidents are the exception, not the rule. 

Well America  dumped Ford in 1976 and did the same thing four years later with Carter. Sometimes we go through weird moody periods when we're not sure what we want.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies