British ships banned from docking in Buenos Aires
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:09:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: British ships banned from docking in Buenos Aires  (Read 2120 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2012, 11:49:35 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
dumbasses
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 11:55:10 PM »

Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:46:17 AM »

If you want to criticize the jingoistic Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, the chauvinistic Telegraph is not the best choice. Clarence inaugurates my ignore list. It's a pity.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »

Why does Argentina still care about a rock with sheep on it so much?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 06:13:27 PM »

Argentina is a joke.

Or rather, the 'Botox Queen', Fernández is.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 06:23:04 PM »

Why does the UK for that matter?

Argentina is a joke.

How diplomatic.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 06:33:01 PM »

Why does the UK for that matter?

Because the (admittedly few) people who actually live there are ethnically and culturally British.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 07:12:57 PM »

They don't care about the Islands, but about the oil around it.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 08:01:50 AM »

It's the oil, of course, but also the British and Argentinian national pride. Both disgusting issues but, yes, the current population in the islands in overwhelmingly British.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 09:57:50 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2012, 10:47:02 AM by Dereich »

The Argentine government is just trying to use nationalism to distract the populace from the 25% inflation rate and faltering ability to continue funding public services, in addition to the oil issues.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 10:45:09 AM »

So basically, just like last time.  A distraction to make the population forget they have a sh**tty govt.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 10:47:11 AM »

Argentina is a joke.

Wow, what a great contribution.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 12:02:33 PM »

So basically, just like last time.  A distraction to make the population forget they have a sh**tty govt.

Indeed the Cameron-Clegg is not a good one. Telegraph needs to distract its readers. Jesus, if this is a serious way of discussing affairs...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 12:17:51 PM »

Did the mayor (or "lawmakers") not ban British ships from porting there?  If not, show so, if they did, why are you crying over the specific paper I happened to link to if the basic facts are correct?  Would you prefer maybe the Huffington Post?  Maybe Iran's Press TV?

Was the previous "issue" a few decades ago not done to distract the people at home?  That's how I learned it, if I was learned wrong, can you educate me? (with like, ya know, links and such, not anecdotes)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 01:16:24 PM »

It's a beautiful comparison: Huffington Post and Iran's Press TV. It says all.

I cry about Telegraph because the British conservative papers from The Sun to The Telegraph, including The Daily Mail (and I'm missing someone) are well known for being populist vehicles of the worst British jingoism.

I don't like Cristina Fernández at all. Even her critics in Argentina say that the Malvinas issue is a distraction, but you are missing the point if you think that the records of the last Argentinian cabinets are an absolute s***. Argentina is far better now than it was 10 years ago, despite its politicians. What can you say about the horrible economic records of the British Conservative-Liberal government? Maybe the Telegraph wants to keep the focus on the futile measures and statements of the Argentinian President because the issues are going too bad at home? Jesus Christ.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 02:43:28 PM »

I cry about Telegraph because the British conservative papers from The Sun to The Telegraph, including The Daily Mail (and I'm missing someone) are well known for being populist vehicles of the worst British jingoism.

I don't like Cristina Fernández at all. Even her critics in Argentina say that the Malvinas issue is a distraction, but you are missing the point if you think that the records of the last Argentinian cabinets are an absolute s***. Argentina is far better now than it was 10 years ago, despite its politicians. What can you say about the horrible economic records of the British Conservative-Liberal government? Maybe the Telegraph wants to keep the focus on the futile measures and statements of the Argentinian President because the issues are going too bad at home? Jesus Christ.
This may be outdated, but the UK is overpreforming in its region as far as I can find here: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2089264/UK-growth-outstrip-continental-rivals-euro-crisis-comes-head-2012-IMF-say.html

Argentina seems like it is also barely oustriping its neighbors here: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2012/01/pdf/text.pdf and thats with offical numbers that we know for a fact are doctored. Yeah, its previous governments were pretty godawful, but that doesn't justify the actions of the current one.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 02:47:41 PM »

Well, Argentina's record isn't very good, but, considering the problems of the early 00's, it's a very good one, while UK clearly worsened since the early 00's.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 04:30:26 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2012, 04:32:26 PM by Leftbehind »

It's not as if the beleaguered first term of Thatcher's didn't benefit enormously (and was pretty much saved) by the Falklands (see here, for instance), so as you rightly say - jingoism and electoral self-interest swing both ways.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »

This may be outdated, but the UK is overpreforming in its region as far as I can find here: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2089264/UK-growth-outstrip-continental-rivals-euro-crisis-comes-head-2012-IMF-say.html

Argentina seems like it is also barely oustriping its neighbors here: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2012/01/pdf/text.pdf and thats with offical numbers that we know for a fact are doctored. Yeah, its previous governments were pretty godawful, but that doesn't justify the actions of the current one.

Well, Dereich I'll link you more recent news from the same media:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1616085/Economy-watch-How-long-Britains-recession-last.html

The article is dated on July 2012 and tries to explain the reason why British economy returned to recession and how long it will last. Maybe not too much outdated. On the other hand UK is not in the Eurozone and the comparisons may be biased. Also, it's not the same if you compare the last UK economic development with Greece and Spain or if you make comparisons with Germany. The UK economic growth figures are worse than the US ones and almost everybody around here says that the latter is not going too well.

About Argentina, its economy seems to be in serious troubles if we talk about inflation figures, for example. Anyways, in the opinion of some economists and against the opinion of the international financial institutions, Néstor Kirchner (a person that I disliked) apparently adopted the correct measures to solve the Corralito crisis in the begining of the last decade. Certain Nobel Prize has interesting opinions about the Argentinian recovery. An example:

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/down-argentina-way/

Finally, I´m not trying to justify anybody. I regarded Cristina Fernández as "jingoistic" and her measures in the Malvinas issue as "futile". You quoted my last post, so...

The thing that really piss me off is that some posters before you seem to believe that British jingoism has a moral superiority over the Argentinian. I dislike both. On the other hand if someone wants to start a serious debate about the Falklands, an obviously British biased media is not a good choice in any circumstance. That's all.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 01:17:31 AM »

Well, Dereich I'll link you more recent news from the same media:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1616085/Economy-watch-How-long-Britains-recession-last.html

The article is dated on July 2012 and tries to explain the reason why British economy returned to recession and how long it will last. Maybe not too much outdated. On the other hand UK is not in the Eurozone and the comparisons may be biased. Also, it's not the same if you compare the last UK economic development with Greece and Spain or if you make comparisons with Germany. The UK economic growth figures are worse than the US ones and almost everybody around here says that the latter is not going too well.

About Argentina, its economy seems to be in serious troubles if we talk about inflation figures, for example. Anyways, in the opinion of some economists and against the opinion of the international financial institutions, Néstor Kirchner (a person that I disliked) apparently adopted the correct measures to solve the Corralito crisis in the begining of the last decade. Certain Nobel Prize has interesting opinions about the Argentinian recovery. An example:

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/down-argentina-way/

Finally, I´m not trying to justify anybody. I regarded Cristina Fernández as "jingoistic" and her measures in the Malvinas issue as "futile". You quoted my last post, so...

The thing that really piss me off is that some posters before you seem to believe that British jingoism has a moral superiority over the Argentinian. I dislike both. On the other hand if someone wants to start a serious debate about the Falklands, an obviously British biased media is not a good choice in any circumstance. That's all.
What pisses me off is that all the comments disagreeing with Krugman are implying that Brazil isn't cooking books as much as Argentina.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 01:58:25 AM »

Jesus, feel free to agree or disagree. Krugman is one of the few establishment economists that talks in favour of the measures adopted in Argentina in the early 00's and the country actually recovered, despite the recriminations of IMF and other institutions. If you want my opinion, Lula is above Kirchner in my list of preferences, at least at a personal level.

It's not as if the beleaguered first term of Thatcher's didn't benefit enormously (and was pretty much saved) by the Falklands (see here, for instance), so as you rightly say - jingoism and electoral self-interest swing both ways.

Fortunately the Thatcher days will never come back. Cristina Feranández must be a jingoistic and a demagogue, but she's not an idiot like Videla. I suppose that Cameron isn't foolish enough to expect such idiotic moves.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 10:27:12 AM »

Jesus, feel free to agree or disagree. Krugman is one of the few establishment economists that talks in favour of the measures adopted in Argentina in the early 00's and the country actually recovered, despite the recriminations of IMF and other institutions. If you want my opinion, Lula is above Kirchner in my list of preferences, at least at a personal level.

Fortunately the Thatcher days will never come back. Cristina Feranández must be a jingoistic and a demagogue, but she's not an idiot like Videla. I suppose that Cameron isn't foolish enough to expect such idiotic moves.
I'm not disagreeing with Krugman, I'm talking about the comments that are disagreeing with Krugman in there.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 10:58:12 AM »

OK, I wasn't sure (it was early in the morning) about if you agreed or disagreed. Feel free to agree with Krugman, then. About cooking books it's useful to keep in mind the former ND government in Greece and the subsequent disaster when PASOK replaced them in the office and the tricks were revealed. The Troika memorandum and the Europe's stagnation are sad stories. In my opinion the Lula's records in Brazil are undeniable and Kirchner made the correct decisions in the past decade, although in social policies the Lula's achievements are clearly superior. Add to this that Lula is more likeable and have less authoritarian ticks than Kirchner.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 11:26:39 AM »

If they were ever stupid enough to invade again (unlikely, but we live in strange times) hopefully the Brits could beat the s*** out of them again.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 01:06:53 PM »

If they were ever stupid enough to invade again (unlikely, but we live in strange times) hopefully the Brits could beat the s*** out of them again.

Right now the Argentines are less able to invade and the Brits would be less able to kick them out if they did.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies