British ships banned from docking in Buenos Aires (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:41:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  British ships banned from docking in Buenos Aires (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: British ships banned from docking in Buenos Aires  (Read 2178 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« on: August 07, 2012, 01:17:31 AM »

This may be outdated, but the UK is overpreforming in its region as far as I can find here: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2089264/UK-growth-outstrip-continental-rivals-euro-crisis-comes-head-2012-IMF-say.html

Argentina seems like it is also barely oustriping its neighbors here: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2012/01/pdf/text.pdf and thats with offical numbers that we know for a fact are doctored. Yeah, its previous governments were pretty godawful, but that doesn't justify the actions of the current one.

Well, Dereich I'll link you more recent news from the same media:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1616085/Economy-watch-How-long-Britains-recession-last.html

The article is dated on July 2012 and tries to explain the reason why British economy returned to recession and how long it will last. Maybe not too much outdated. On the other hand UK is not in the Eurozone and the comparisons may be biased. Also, it's not the same if you compare the last UK economic development with Greece and Spain or if you make comparisons with Germany. The UK economic growth figures are worse than the US ones and almost everybody around here says that the latter is not going too well.

About Argentina, its economy seems to be in serious troubles if we talk about inflation figures, for example. Anyways, in the opinion of some economists and against the opinion of the international financial institutions, Néstor Kirchner (a person that I disliked) apparently adopted the correct measures to solve the Corralito crisis in the begining of the last decade. Certain Nobel Prize has interesting opinions about the Argentinian recovery. An example:

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/down-argentina-way/

Finally, I´m not trying to justify anybody. I regarded Cristina Fernández as "jingoistic" and her measures in the Malvinas issue as "futile". You quoted my last post, so...

The thing that really piss me off is that some posters before you seem to believe that British jingoism has a moral superiority over the Argentinian. I dislike both. On the other hand if someone wants to start a serious debate about the Falklands, an obviously British biased media is not a good choice in any circumstance. That's all.
What pisses me off is that all the comments disagreeing with Krugman are implying that Brazil isn't cooking books as much as Argentina.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:27:12 AM »

Jesus, feel free to agree or disagree. Krugman is one of the few establishment economists that talks in favour of the measures adopted in Argentina in the early 00's and the country actually recovered, despite the recriminations of IMF and other institutions. If you want my opinion, Lula is above Kirchner in my list of preferences, at least at a personal level.

It's not as if the beleaguered first term of Thatcher's didn't benefit enormously (and was pretty much saved) by the Falklands (see here, for instance), so as you rightly say - jingoism and electoral self-interest swing both ways.

Fortunately the Thatcher days will never come back. Cristina Feranández must be a jingoistic and a demagogue, but she's not an idiot like Videla. I suppose that Cameron isn't foolish enough to expect such idiotic moves.
I'm not disagreeing with Krugman, I'm talking about the comments that are disagreeing with Krugman in there.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies