Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 02:16:39 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  Northeast Assembly Debate: Now Accepting Questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Debate: Now Accepting Questions  (Read 646 times)
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:56:04 am »
Ignore

Welcome to the Northeast Assembly Debate!

The next regular Assembly election begins on Friday, August 17th. But with a special election approaching in less than five days, and two political neophytes contesting the single open seat, I see no reason not to push this debate toward an early start.

Tonight, we welcome six announced candidates, three of whom are incumbents. Listed in order of seniority / date of declaration of candidacy:

Lieutenant Governor Simfan*
Representative Alfred F. Jones*
Representative mondale84
Goldwater
bore
Comrade Funk
Former Speaker Cincinnatus
Ü

* - Incumbent
Ü - Announced candidate in special election only

The first phase of this debate will consist of opening statements from the candidates followed by questions from the moderator. Later, candidates will field questions from the audience. For now, please do not post in this thread unless you are an announced candidate in either the special election or the regular election. EDIT: The debate is now open to the public.

Candidates may post opening statements at any time. The first round of questions will appear shortly.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:36:45 pm by AverroŽs Nix »Logged

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 10:01:42 am »
Ignore

ROUND 1 OF MODERATOR QUESTIONS

FOR ALL CANDIDATES: In the current session, the Northeast Assembly has approved the first regional budget in recent memory. What changes to the budget, if any, would you propose during the next session, if elected?

FOR ALL CANDIDATES: Discussion of moving the Northeast's capital out of New York City has been a focus of Assembly activity over much of the current session. Do you favor moving the capital? If so, which of the proposed sites do you prefer, and why?

FOR ALL CANDIDATES: Without bills to discuss, regional legislatures quickly become stagnant. If elected, what legislation will you propose?

Senator Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 01:04:31 pm »
Ignore

For my opening statement, I would like to thank the governor for hosting this debate & wish good luck to all of my opponents. Smiley

Senator Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 01:07:51 pm »
Ignore

In the current session, the Northeast Assembly has approved the first regional budget in recent memory. What changes to the budget, if any, would you propose during the next session, if elected?

I would propose tax cuts to help Northeast citizens & improve economic growth, although I wonít support tax cuts at the expense of a balanced budget. I also think that we should be making sure that all the money the government collects is used in the most cost efficient way possible.

Discussion of moving the Northeast's capital out of New York City has been a focus of Assembly activity over much of the current session. Do you favor moving the capital? If so, which of the proposed sites do you prefer, and why?

Yes, I support moving the capital, and I believe that Buffalo would be the moat logical choice. The other cities that have been proposed are either so big that you have the same problems you have with New York City, or so small that you are practically making a new city from scratch. I believe that Buffaloís declining population fixes the first issue, while itís also big enough to avoid the second issue.

Without bills to discuss, regional legislatures quickly become stagnant. If elected, what legislation will you propose?

I would propose legislation  that would make elections more competitive, because the voter doesnít have any power when all of the people who are running will be elected regardless of how they vote. I  would also propose legislation that would simplify government as much as possible, because I believe that overly complex laws & tax codes have an overall negative effect on the citizens of the northeast.

Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.16, S: -5.57

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 02:12:08 pm »
Ignore

Thank you Governor for hosting this debate. We must remember that in some parts around the world, the chance to voice an opposing political views is prohibited. It is a great blessing that Atlasia, and the Northeast region itself, has the oppurtunity to host a debate like this. I look foward to debating my fellow candidates in a cordial custom. Good luck to everyone involved. Smiley

Governor, people of the Northeast, I look at our region and I see great things. We have made great leaps foward in transforming our way of life for the better. The new Northeast Gambling Benefits Act has increased awareness on the dangers of gambling and drug addictions. Our new budget will increase aid to our children's education, an issue that is dear to all of us. We have made great leaps foward in improving our way of life and government, but I chose to run because I feel the people of the Northeast deserve better. We need change. We need something new to jolt the political establishment, and end the "politics as usual" attitude. That is why I am running. Thank you.

FOR ALL CANDIDATES: In the current session, the Northeast Assembly has approved the first regional budget in recent memory. What changes to the budget, if any, would you propose during the next session, if elected?
I agree with the majortiy of the budget, especially when in regards to funding for education. I do, however, would like to see tax cuts for citizens earning less than $100,000. They are the backbone of our economy, and I believe that tax cuts for the middle class will encourage them to invest in the economy, further helping the Northeast recover from recession.

FOR ALL CANDIDATES: Discussion of moving the Northeast's capital out of New York City has been a focus of Assembly activity over much of the current session. Do you favor moving the capital? If so, which of the proposed sites do you prefer, and why?
I do favor the relocation of the capital from New York City. New York City is already one of our most thriving cities, with or without the capital residing there. I believe Buffalo is the best choice for our new capital. With the regional government located there, the decline of the city's population will end as new jobs pour into the city. It is also key that a the western half of our region receives the attention it deserves, and I believe moving the capital to Buffalo is a key proponent in doing just that.

FOR ALL CANDIDATES: Without bills to discuss, regional legislatures quickly become stagnant. If elected, what legislation will you propose?
I am looking foward to introduce legislation that will protect internet privacy. I am an ardent supporter of our civil liberties, and those civil liberties belong on the internet too. A bill I am also considering is a ban on Voter ID Laws. It is expensive to obtain the material that would support one's identity. Voter ID Laws across the world have denied numerous voters the right to vote. What began as a fight against "voter fraud", has become another political tool used by politicians.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 05:58:57 pm by Comrade Funk »Logged

We need a public option

Quote from: President Harry S. Truman
ďWe should resolve now that the health of this nation is a national concern; that financial barriers in the way of attaining health shall be removed
Senator bore
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 04:45:11 pm »
Ignore

Hello everyone, and thanks to Nix for hosting the debate, I wish all the other candidates luck (but not too much luck Wink )

Friends I am running this year because I strongly believe in government. 3 of my grandparents rose out from poverty thanks to government intervention, many of my uncles lives were lengthened considerbly due to government intervention into the mines and the creation of the NHS. I have seen first hand what government can do to improve people's lives, and I want to bring this active, helpful government to the northeast's many citizens.

I actually mostly agree with the budget, especially the creation of a fund for infrastructure, and the large amounts spent on transport (I too share Simfans love of infrastructure) although I would enact a few changes to produce a fairer northeast. Firstly I would shift of more of the balance of taxation from the sales tax to an income tax, especially increasing the $250,000 and up brackets. This would be fairer because it would mean the rich pay more while the poor pay slightly less.  Also I would change the new automobile tax into a carbon (or mile per gallon one) tax, so as not to discourage job creation in cars, while reducing our carbon footprint and producing new revenue.

Yes, I favour moving the capital to Buffalo. The reasoning behind this harks back to my opening remarks, as well as practicalities. I support Buffalo because I believe turning it into the capital could bring create jobs and wealth in an area lacking in them, in other word this would be an example of the government helping people by being active. Of course there are other reasons as well, not least the cost, and availability of land.

Firstly I would propose a bill to promote metrification or at least dual education, so that northeastern citizens can easily interact with every other countries.

Also I would be willing to promote bills in the field of crime and punishment, although I would have to check existing ones first.
mondale84
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 05:12:25 pm »
Ignore

Thank you, Governor, for hosting this debate. I think such a forum of ideas not only allows the citizens of our great region to hear from each candidate, but also encourages the civic discourse to continue strong. I hope to be able to continue the work that I began in my current term by continuing to bring fiscally responsible and socially empowering leadership to the Northeast Assembly. I hope that the citizens of our great region will listen to my ideas and consider supporting me for re-election.

"There are no men like me. There's only me."
Senator Alfred F. Jones
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 06:22:25 pm »
Ignore

Thank you, Governor Nix, and thank you, citizens of the Northeast! I'm still amazed that I've managed to become the second-most-experienced candidate, and I've been proud to serve you. I hope you all will honor me with reelection, though I'd be perfectly happy with the other fine candidates.

Alfred is the only acceptable option

Clinton they've discovered our lovechild Sad

Senator Alfred F. Jones
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 12:58:21 pm »
Ignore

Answers are in bold.

--I think the budget as it stands now is a perfectly good budget. In the future, however, we may have to adapt to circumstances beyond and within our control, and adjustments may have to be made.

--Right now, I believe that New York City has become too big to fail, so to speak, and we should spread our regional important-city-things around a bit. Of the proposed sites, I'd prefer Buffalo, because the city (and Western New York as a whole) hasn't been doing very well recently.

--I intend to help the working and middle class of the Northeast, as I always have. To me, 6% unemployment is unacceptable, and we need to put the citizens of our region back to work rather quickly. I'd introduce legislation to make it easier on Northeasterners who are struggling to find jobs, and to actively start creating them ourselves while the good folks up in Nyman help the national (and therefore regional) economy along.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 05:24:46 pm »
Ignore

A big thanks to all of the candidates for providing thoughtful responses. I'll step out of my moderator persona for a moment to say that, as Governor of the Northeast, I'm proud to have a full slate of interested candidates running for seats in the Assembly. Anyway, on to the next round of questions. These questions are intended to be fairly general, and have been crafted to guide debate through future rounds of questions, which will be more specific and issue-focused.

ROUND 2 OF MODERATOR QUESTIONS

1. FOR ALL INCUMBENTS: What do you consider the greatest achievement of your tenure in the Assembly to date?

2. FOR ALL CANDIDATES: What, if anything, should be done to further increase activity in the region? Do you believe that regional restructuring would help?

3. FOR ALL CANDIDATES: In general, are you more committed to compromise or principle?

4. FOR ALL CANDIDATES: What Atlasian politicians, if any, do you consider your role models?

5. FOR ALL CANDIDATES: What are your areas of policy "expertise"? What areas of policy are of special personal interest to you? What areas of policy do you prefer to avoid?

6. FOR ALL CANDIDATES: How would you describe your ideology?

(A lot of questions, I know, but this is the benefit of starting this debate early!)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 05:26:42 pm by AverroŽs Nix »Logged

Senator Alfred F. Jones
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 07:12:06 pm »
Ignore

1. FOR ALL INCUMBENTS: What do you consider the greatest achievement of your tenure in the Assembly to date?

--Definitely the Roscoe Conkling Equity Before the Law Act, mostly because it was the only piece of legislation I have sponsored so far (but it was damn good legislation, mind you!), and also because I put a lot of effort into getting it passed. That bill, I believe, was the most ideologically divisive of the laws we've passed.

2. FOR ALL CANDIDATES: What, if anything, should be done to further increase activity in the region? Do you believe that regional restructuring would help?

--The Northeast is already a rather active region, but it is true that we have only six candidates for five slots and a consistent power balance in the Assembly. I think that we could work on recruiting new members and trying to get them involved in public life at both the regional and national level (though I am aware that this is exactly what everyone else has said). I don't think regional restructuring is good for the Northeast, as we are perfectly fine as we are.

3. FOR ALL CANDIDATES: In general, are you more committed to compromise or principle?

--Compromise, though that may be influenced by the fact that we haven't had very many divisive bills this session.

4. FOR ALL CANDIDATES: What Atlasian politicians, if any, do you consider your role models?

--You know, Jim, that's a really hard question. I'm not sure I have any role models. If I had to pick one I'd say Snowstalker, though this decision is purely based on ideology. Also, you, Governor Nix. You're cool.

5. FOR ALL CANDIDATES: What are your areas of policy "expertise"? What areas of policy are of special personal interest to you? What areas of policy do you prefer to avoid?

--Being a member of the Labor Party, I definitely am more interested in economic issues and the plight of the Northeastern and Atlasian middle class (more on that later). I don't really care that much about social issues (with the exception of gay rights).

--In a nutshell, social democracy. I don't believe in the abolition of capitalism, but I do believe that the government should step in to correct its excesses and help the needy. Socially, I'm a liberal, though again I don't care about most social issues (except, again, gay rights). I think helping the general populace of the Northeast recover from this recession takes top priority, issue-wise.

Senator Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 07:45:11 pm »
Ignore

In general, are you more committed to compromise or principle?

In general, I think that compromise is necessary to get anything done in politics.

What Atlasian politicians, if any, do you consider your role models?

I would say my biggest role model in Atlasian politics is Senator Clarence, because I find because of ideology and because he's opinionated while also being open to compromise.

What are your areas of policy "expertise"? What areas of policy are of special personal interest to you? What areas of policy do you prefer to avoid?

I'm mainly interested in promoting individual rights & free enterprise, although I'm willing to discuss just about any issue.

In general, libertarianism. I believe that government should be as small & efficient as possible, and that getting too involved in economics or people's personal lives is bad in the long run.

mondale84
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 07:59:35 pm »
Ignore

1. What do you consider the greatest achievement of your tenure in the Assembly to date?

While I have only been in the Assembly for one term, I believe I have provided strong support for common sense legislation in the Northeast region. I am committed to continuing to provide a strong, independent voice in the Northeast Assembly.

2.What, if anything, should be done to further increase activity in the region? Do you believe that regional restructuring would help?

The most important thing that the Assembly and the population of the region can do is to engage in a vigorous civic discourse which will encourage political and intellectual activity in the region. I will continue to encourage interaction between the citizens of our great region and their elected representatives so that the vibrancy of the region can continue to grow.

3. In general, are you more committed to compromise or principle?

I believe in bringing one's principles to negotiations so that compromise can be that: a political process to make a multitude content rather than a narrow interest group.

4. What Atlasian politicians, if any, do you consider your role models?

I have great respect for all current assembly representatives but especially for Representative Winfield who I look up to as the model of the dedicated, honest representative.

5. What are your areas of policy "expertise"? What areas of policy are of special personal interest to you? What areas of policy do you prefer to avoid?

I have a considerable interest in taxes and public works. While there are other areas that I perhaps am less qualified in, as a representative I ensure that I have the best and broadest information to make decisions in all fields.

6. How would you describe your ideology?

I believe in fiscal responsibility and social empowerment. I am a centrist who believes in getting the work of the people done.

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 08:16:25 pm »
Ignore

It's hard to pick a specific achievement as the "greatest".  Perhaps the greatest achievement(s) during my tenure (one that I don't deserve credit for), is the passage of the new constitution, and the new SOAP.  Despite our..less than cordial relationship, President Napoleon, was truly an asset to this region, and I view our time working together as one of, if not the most productive period of my time here.

Regional restructuring would be interesting, but not in the form that is currently under scrutiny. Personally, I think we're on the right track.  When I joined, this region was still in decay, and activity was less than half of what we're currently experiencing.  The key, is to keep our citizens active.  Participation among our citizenry is a necessity, and keeping The People informed, and included, is essential.  

I'm interested in making government work.  Compromise is an essential tool in this effort.  My goal is to govern by principles that I myself hold, but, I'm completely willing to compromise ONLY if I believe it will benefit those I represent.

I'd have to say that I most see a role model in President Polnut.  His knowledge, ability to work across the aisle, and put The People first despite adversity, truly exemplify what an official should be.  Alternatively, Senator Yankee deserves a great deal of acknowledgement for his stellar tenure as Senator, and commitment to this game.  God forbid we ever lose him.

I work with a Pharmaceutical distributor, and have a 2 year Associates (Which is why I'm going back).  I don't claim to have any "expertise".  Now, I have several interests, and these include economic policy, labor law, and foreign affairs.  I do, occasionally avoid topics when I lack the knowledge to put forth a worthwhile debate.  However, I do often lurk around the forum and read provided information so that I may further understand a subject I'm admittedly ignorant in.  Such subjects would include Environmental policy, Agriculture, Asian culture/affairs, and occasionally the specifics of energy production.

Moderate.  I'm prone to changing my opinion, given a better argument from the other side.  I try to remain open to new ideas, and flexible to changing environments.  This doesn't mean I'm easily swayed, but I won't ignore substantial evidence that supports another point of view.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:49:12 pm by Cincinnatus »Logged
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 09:23:15 pm »
Ignore

FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS for REPRESENTATIVE JONES

1 - You mention that the Assembly hasn't considered many divisive legislative proposals recently. Why do you think this is? What do you view as the disagreements that define Northeastern politics? Are there any?

2 - You mention gay rights as an exception to your general indifference to social issues. Why is this particular issue an exception?

FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS for GOLDWATER

1 - What specific measures would you propose to minimize government interference in the economy and in the personal lives of its citizens?

FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS for REPRESENTATIVE MONDALE84

1 - You cite your support for "common sense legislation" as your greatest achievement while in office. What pieces of legislation are you referring to? Has the Assembly considered any legislation that, in your opinion, does not jive with common sense?

2 - How can the Northeast Region encourage interaction between citizens and their elected representatives?

3 - You mention taxes as an area of interest. What is your opinion of the region's current tax structure? What changes, if any, would you like to see made to it?

FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS for FORMER SPEAKER CINCINNATUS

1 - Several members of the Assembly have praised the new SOAP, including myself. However, the original reformed SOAP included a third legislative slot. As you'll recall, this slot was abolished in the first and only amendment to the reformed SOAP. Should this slot be re-instated? Are there any other specific bits of fine-tuning to the SOAP that you think would benefit the Assembly?

2 - You imply that you might favor some regional restructuring proposal, although you reject those that have been proposed so far. What would a regional restructuring proposal need to accomplish to gain your approval? Do you think this is an issue that we should even be discussing?

3 - And lastly, the question that's on everyone's mind: Do you have any intention of becoming a candidate in the regular election?

Senator Alfred F. Jones
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 10:27:26 pm »
Ignore

FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS for REPRESENTATIVE JONES

1 - You mention that the Assembly hasn't considered many divisive legislative proposals recently. Why do you think this is? What do you view as the disagreements that define Northeastern politics? Are there any?

--I've noticed throughout my (limited) time in the Assembly that Northeasterners (or at least their elected representatives) are a folk who believe in compromise, so there's that. Also, the Assembly tends not to tackle as divisive issues as, say, the Senate. We deal more with things like traffic laws.

2 - You mention gay rights as an exception to your general indifference to social issues. Why is this particular issue an exception?

--I myself am gay, so that's a no-brainer.

Senator Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 11:30:50 pm »
Ignore

What specific measures would you propose to minimize government interference in the economy and in the personal lives of its citizens?

1. As I mentioned before, I would propose tax cuts in the budget so that Northeastern citizens can keep more of their money.

2. If Comrade Funk isn't elected, I would propose an internet privacy bill.

3. If the Northeast government owns any liquor stores, I would propose selling them off to private companies.

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head, if I think more about it it some more I'm sure I'll come up with other ideas.

Senator bore
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 06:44:12 am »
Ignore

FOR ALL CANDIDATES: What, if anything, should be done to further increase activity in the region? Do you believe that regional restructuring would help?

I don't think any significant changes should be made as the region is already very active, apart from long running ones like recruiting new members. I really doubt restructuring will be some sort of panacea for all our problems, in fact it will probably make things worse.

Compromise, but not for its own sake. Apart from a few red line issues for me like the death penalty and aspects of healthcare I think its better to get something done even if you disagree with bits of it, than to just vote no to everything.

I haven't been around atlasia for long enough to answer that properly, although I like both Napoleon and Tmthforu94 for taking some time out to help me.

In all honesty I can't say I have an area of especially notable expertise but I'm really interested in healthcare and transportation. And, like Alfred, I tend to avoid most 'social issues' especially abortion.

An economic left winger, although I do have some reformist tendencies. On almost all the big american social issues I'm "liberal", although I also have a few nanny state tendencies, for example helmets. And finally on foreign policy, which I know our assembly does deal with much, although I may as well mention it, I'm sort of centrist, in that I support some interventions like Libya, while oppose others like Iraq. I'm also a huge supporter of sensible foreign aid.
mondale84
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 09:10:55 am »
Ignore

FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS for REPRESENTATIVE MONDALE84

1 - You cite your support for "common sense legislation" as your greatest achievement while in office. What pieces of legislation are you referring to? Has the Assembly considered any legislation that, in your opinion, does not jive with common sense?

Well I think my recent support for the Tranquility Act shows that I am a member of the assembly who values the health and well-being of all our citizens. After all, the happiness of our citizens is one of the most common sense pursuits any legislator should want. Additionally, my questions with respect to the Capital Relocation Amendment helped prompt a longer-length discussion as to how and why we - as members of the Assembly - are choosing to relocate the regional capital. I continue to ask questions and spark debate so as to ensure that the people's work is being done.

2 - How can the Northeast Region encourage interaction between citizens and their elected representatives?

I would like to encourage citizens to write to their representatives if they have concerns about or wish to suggest bill and or areas of interest that pertain to their daily lives. I would encourage citizens to speak up and contact their elected officials. Additionally, I would hope that we could create a forum in which citizens of the region and their elected officials could share ideas for the enhancement of our great region.

3 - You mention taxes as an area of interest. What is your opinion of the region's current tax structure? What changes, if any, would you like to see made to it?

I think the region's current tax structure is adequate on the whole. However, I continue to look for ways to put our tax dollars to better use and to ensure that the citizens of our region have access to the public services they require. When focusing on tax policy, we should be trying to reduce and limit wasteful expenditures and ensure that the citizens' tax money is being made to work for them. That is why I will continue to work on ensuring that common-sense legislation is passed in the body and wasteful and superfluous projects are not.

Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.16, S: -5.57

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 12:11:44 pm »
Ignore

Can't answer this for obvious reasons. Sad I do wish to point that I would push for an immediate ban on Voter ID laws when elected into office.

Hey, I think if we just continue to recruit new members (like what happened to me), we're bound to gain even more active citizens. If we continue to have civil debates in the legislature, and in political debates like this, I believe activity will stay high with both old and new members. Perhaps we can introduce a town hall debate, where the citizens ask the questions to the candidates. Giving the people more influence in government is something I strongly support, and town hall debates would be a good way of acheiving that, while also encouraging citizens to participate more.

You can't get anything passed in life without compromise, however, I believe you must always look at your principles and morals before making the decision to compromise. You shouldn't accept something that is watered down, and against everything you believe in.

I'll just keep it safe, and say everyone! Tongue Seriouly though, I need more time in Atlasia to answer that.

I believe I have a firm understanding of all policy decisions. If I had to choose one, maybe voting rights and civil rights? It is a very important issue to me. Education is of interest to me especially. Providing a safe future for our children is the greatest job of our government. I'm not afraid to avoid anything really. I do what is best for the people.

I suppose you would call me a liberal, as I am a proud member of the Liberal Party, but I would like to think I rise over ideology in my willingness to compromise for an efficient government for the people.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:19:46 pm by Comrade Funk »Logged

We need a public option

Quote from: President Harry S. Truman
ďWe should resolve now that the health of this nation is a national concern; that financial barriers in the way of attaining health shall be removed
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 08:27:21 pm »
Ignore

Today, I'll direct a question at each candidate. We also have our first question from a constituent.

Also, THE DEBATE IS NOW OPEN TO MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC. Questions are welcome from residents of any region, and candidates may ask questions of each other.

FOR JONES: You've served two terms in the Assembly, yet you've only introduced one bill. Now that you have two terms of legislative experience, do you expect to be a more active author of legislation?

FOR GOLDWATER: In your view, what is the role of regional government? What are its essential duties? What current overreaches would you like to correct?

FOR MONDALE: While you only very rarely miss a vote, your contributions to debate over the latest legislative session have been rather thin and infrequent and you have yet to introduce a bill. Can you guarantee Northeasterners that you will be a more active legislator in the upcoming session? Why should voters vote for you, rather than another candidate who might be more active than you have been so far?

FOR COMRADE FUNK: What, in your view, are the greatest threats to the civil liberties of Atlasians? What can we do to protect Northeasterners from these threats?

FOR BORE: Some have proposed expanding the Saint Lawrence Seaway to allow larger cargo vessels access to ports along the Great Lakes and the Saint Lawrence River. Do you favor this expansion, or do you believe that transportation funding would be better spent elsewhere?

Also, we have our first question from a constituent. This question comes from Scott:

FOR ALL CANDIDATES: Should you be elected to the Assembly, what will you do to promote job creation and help new businesses grow in our region?  Do you favor enacting new programs that would make this possible?  If so, what might they be?

Senator Alfred F. Jones
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 09:26:18 pm »
Ignore

FOR JONES: You've served two terms in the Assembly, yet you've only introduced one bill. Now that you have two terms of legislative experience, do you expect to be a more active author of legislation?

--Technically, I haven't served two terms. My first term was not full, as I was elected in a special election (sorry about the tautology). But yes, I have only introduced one piece of legislation, and I'm not sure if that really counts, since that was a re-introduction of a previous bill that had been vetoed by the previous governor. I am very sorry to the people of the Northeast for not being as active of a lawmaker as is ideal. I am, however, getting better, in fact, I just introduced a bill that will help millions of unemployed Northeasterners by creating millions of shovel-ready jobs.

FOR ALL CANDIDATES: Should you be elected to the Assembly, what will you do to promote job creation and help new businesses grow in our region?  Do you favor enacting new programs that would make this possible?  If so, what might they be?

--Well, this seems like a bit of a trick question, because the phrases 'job creation' and 'helping businesses' have often been used as secret right-wing code words for 'cutting [insert things conservatives don't like]. I do, however, support small businesses and jobs (who doesn't?), and will support any fair job-creation measure that comes to the floor.

Senator Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 10:16:54 pm »
Ignore

FOR GOLDWATER: In your view, what is the role of regional government? What are its essential duties? What current overreaches would you like to correct?

I believe that the essential duties of the regional government are building roads, providing education, protecting people and their property, and helping people who physically can't help themselves. I think the Northeast Assembly has been doing a pretty good job at creating laws that don't overreach, although I would like to fewer taxes and I am willing to work other members of the assembly to make sure we can implement these tax cuts while keeping the budget balanced.

Should you be elected to the Assembly, what will you do to promote job creation and help new businesses grow in our region?  Do you favor enacting new programs that would make this possible?  If so, what might they be?

I would work with other members of the assembly to find the most efficient way to create jobs and support small businesses.

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 07:54:53 am »
Ignore

FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS for FORMER SPEAKER CINCINNATUS

1 - Several members of the Assembly have praised the new SOAP, including myself. However, the original reformed SOAP included a third legislative slot. As you'll recall, this slot was abolished in the first and only amendment to the reformed SOAP. Should this slot be re-instated? Are there any other specific bits of fine-tuning to the SOAP that you think would benefit the Assembly?

I don't believe the third legislative slot should be re-instated at this time.  Currently, I like the pace at which we move through the Queue.  While we do want to make sure we're legislating at an effective pace, we have to remember that Representatives have things to do outside of here, and that we never really have an excessive amount of proposed legislation anyway.

I'm sure the SOAP will need some fine-tuning down the road.  The whole point of legislating however, is to adapt, and often we won't know what we can do to improve legislation, until a situation arises that calls for action.  Now, we do have a Northeast Analysis thread that Assembly members and citizens alike can discuss this issue.  I'm more than willing to discuss anything that can improve the way we govern. 

2 - You imply that you might favor some regional restructuring proposal, although you reject those that have been proposed so far. What would a regional restructuring proposal need to accomplish to gain your approval? Do you think this is an issue that we should even be discussing?

A regional restructuring proposal needs to actually have the potential to improve the game to gain my approval.  I have been vocal about several proposals in the past that received little attention.  Since the dissolution however, I don't think restructuring is necessary, at this point.

It's fine that we're discussing restructuring right now.  New ideas and proposals keep this game afloat.  However, I don't want this issue to overshadow other important discussion that are currently taking place in the Senate.

3 - And lastly, the question that's on everyone's mind: Do you have any intention of becoming a candidate in the regular election?

I ran for the Special election because I'd like to finish out the term, however short it may be.  I don't have much time to declare and run a viable campaign, so I'm currently a lean no.  While I appreciate the support of many here, I'm not sure I can fully commit myself to the Assembly when election time comes around.  Know that I am paying attention to how the candidates answer the questions here, and if I feel that there's a potential for an unbalanced Assembly, or an Assembly that I feel won't promote many of the opinions I hold, I may be inclined to declare.

Senator bore
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 08:45:55 am »
Ignore

FOR BORE: Some have proposed expanding the Saint Lawrence Seaway to allow larger cargo vessels access to ports along the Great Lakes and the Saint Lawrence River. Do you favor this expansion, or do you believe that transportation funding would be better spent elsewhere?

When it comes to transportation, especially with our limited budget, my main aim is to benefit as many people as possible. This is why, for example in the UK I'm wary of the incredibly expensive high speed rail, but will always support electrification. I believe from what I have read about this that this is a sensible expansion, in that it will benefit a large, economically depressed area of our region in the long term, and will provide many jobs in the short term. So I am minded to support this proposal.

Also, we have our first question from a constituent. This question comes from Scott:

I agree with my fellow labor member Alfred that too often "job creation" measures are code words for gutting government programs, which I obviously would not support. To answer the question though, I am more than willing to support tax breaks for some new businesses or measures that reduce red tape, if it helps growth, but I would probably draw the line at health and safety and workers rights.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout