Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 12:48:46 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  Zambian miners rise up, kill Chinese mine owner
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Zambian miners rise up, kill Chinese mine owner  (Read 1392 times)
A.G. Snowstalker
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2012, 04:02:02 pm »
Ignore

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19135435#

Obviously it's wrong to murder a human being, though it's hard to not sympathize with the miners.

MaxQue
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 04:20:00 pm »
Ignore

Well, not really surprising, through events shouldn't reach that point in the modern world.
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 06:34:06 pm »
Ignore

Manager, not owner. I'm sure the owners of the mine are still sitting pretty in China.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 07:18:46 pm »
Ignore

Obviously it's wrong to murder a human being, though it's hard to not sympathize with the miners.

I succeeded. Obviously a minimum wage is a key part of the sort of thing governments should do, and it should be enforced, but the very idea of strikers killing businessmen leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. Thankfully in the country where I live this sort of thing doesn't happen.

I apologize for being so adamantly right.
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 07:22:29 pm »
Ignore

I succeeded. Obviously a minimum wage is a key part of the sort of thing governments should do, and it should be enforced, but the very idea of strikers killing businessmen leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. Thankfully in the country where I live this sort of thing doesn't happen.

You really are completely and across the board in favor of established interests and power, aren't you?

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 07:22:42 pm »
Ignore

Last year, the Zambian government dropped charges against two Chinese managers accused of attempted murder after they fired on miners at the Collum mine during a pay dispute.

Good for the miners, vigilante justice can be the only recourse when the system is stacked against you, the litigation system is broken and you aren't given basic human rights.

Economic score: -6.26
Social score: -7.74
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 07:29:24 pm »
Ignore

I'm with Snow here.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 07:34:25 pm »
Ignore

'It's in the evening after dark...'

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 08:56:56 pm »
Ignore

I'm with Snow here.
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 01:34:36 am »
Ignore

Chinese neo-imperialism in Africa is a disturbing phenomena indeed. The methods are worse than what even the hardest European neo-colonialist could even think of.

Every time I see Denmark I just want to punch it in the face...
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 01:37:32 am »
Ignore

Freedom fighters.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 03:31:43 pm »
Ignore

Freedom fighters.

Now if the Chinese slaves would rise up and kill those above them in China, and the American ones in America, and so forth.  I suppose it isn't impossible.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 03:52:53 pm »
Ignore

Freedom fighters.

Now if the Chinese slaves would rise up and kill those above them in China, and the American ones in America, and so forth.  I suppose it isn't impossible.

They should start in Thailand first.

I wonder why Van Heusen never bothered to make women's clothing?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 09:49:07 pm »
Ignore

Freedom fighters.

It's a good question of whether American slaves could rise up, considering they have all been exported to china or contained in certain neighborhoods.
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 10:53:20 pm »
Ignore

You really are completely and across the board in favor of established interests and power, aren't you?

Actually I was a little amazed by the first half of his second sentence.  The monocle seems to be slipping.

Real America demands to know.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 10:19:18 am »
Ignore

Heheh, you mean I should rise up against the ladies I pay out loads of money to each month?

Rhodie
South Africa

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 11:29:13 am »
Ignore

Being opposed to the murder in cold blood of businessmen isn't to do with being in favour of established interests and power.

Economic score: +6.19
Social score: +2.61

"Freedom. And Justice. If you have those two, it covers everything. You must stick to those principles and have the courage of your convictions"

Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 12:02:11 pm »
Ignore

They should have captured and detained the bloke - the killing cannot be justified and forfeits at least in part some of the miners' moral high ground. Though I sympathize and more closely align with the Zambian miners than the management and mostly agree with Politicus when it comes to the exploitation of Africans by the PRC, shedding blood is nevertheless very poor form.

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 01:09:32 pm »
Ignore

Heheh, you mean I should rise up against the ladies I pay out loads of money to each month?

You're not one of the slaves, and I thought one reason you liked the place was that you didn't have to pay as much.

I wonder why Van Heusen never bothered to make women's clothing?
ingemann
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 03:23:41 pm »
Ignore

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12973534

Zambia drops Chinese bosses' mine shooting charges

The Zambian government has dropped charges against two Chinese managers accused of attempted murder after firing on miners during a pay dispute.

Xiao Li Shan and Wu Jiu Hua said the workers' behaviour, at the Collum coal mine in October, had been threatening. The shooting left at least 11 injured.

China has invested more than $400m (£250m) in the copper-rich country.

But companies have faced regular opposition from workers and union leaders over abuses and low wages.

Mr Xiao and Mr Wu had opened fire indiscriminately on their employees at the mine in Sinazongwe to break up a protest, according to police.

Following the decision to drop the charges, their defence lawyer, George Chisanga, said Zambian law meant the state did not have to give an explanation and the pair could still be called back to court by the director of public prosecutions.

Reuben Lifuka, the president of anti-corruption group Transparency International Zambia, warned the move could damage confidence in Zambia's judicial system.

"The trauma and injustice that the mine workers suffered is public knowledge and the government itself has on several occasion reprimanded the managers of coal mine on the poor working conditions," he said.

Same mine.

So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 10:12:45 am »
Ignore

Chinese neo-imperialism in Africa is a disturbing phenomena indeed. The methods are worse than what even the hardest European neo-colonialist could even think of.
I beg to differ. Look into the methods used by oil companies in Nigeria.
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 02:58:15 pm »
Ignore

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12973534

Zambia drops Chinese bosses' mine shooting charges

The Zambian government has dropped charges against two Chinese managers accused of attempted murder after firing on miners during a pay dispute.

Xiao Li Shan and Wu Jiu Hua said the workers' behaviour, at the Collum coal mine in October, had been threatening. The shooting left at least 11 injured.

China has invested more than $400m (£250m) in the copper-rich country.

But companies have faced regular opposition from workers and union leaders over abuses and low wages.

Mr Xiao and Mr Wu had opened fire indiscriminately on their employees at the mine in Sinazongwe to break up a protest, according to police.

Following the decision to drop the charges, their defence lawyer, George Chisanga, said Zambian law meant the state did not have to give an explanation and the pair could still be called back to court by the director of public prosecutions.

Reuben Lifuka, the president of anti-corruption group Transparency International Zambia, warned the move could damage confidence in Zambia's judicial system.

"The trauma and injustice that the mine workers suffered is public knowledge and the government itself has on several occasion reprimanded the managers of coal mine on the poor working conditions," he said.

Same mine.

Zambia: Proud Subsidiary of the People's Republic of China

Appears to be the case.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 06:55:48 pm »
Ignore

Being opposed to the murder in cold blood of businessmen isn't to do with being in favour of established interests and power.

I'm opposed to it because it's people killing people. Vosem seems to care an inordinate amount about the positions of the people in question.

So in essence I agree with Redalgo.

Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 05:27:56 am »
Ignore

So, when you're paying people for their work they're exploiting you but in all other instances when someone gets paid it's the people getting paid who are exploited?

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 10:44:25 am »
Ignore

You're not one of the slaves, and I thought one reason you liked the place was that you didn't have to pay as much.

Well, compared to the price of other things, and normal salaries, working girls are much more expensive here - say $35 baht for a high-quality 1-3 hours, compared to a normal working-class wage of about $10/day.  In the US you'd pay $200 for the same service, and a normal working class wage is nearly $100/day. 

So, when you're paying people for their work they're exploiting you but in all other instances when someone gets paid it's the people getting paid who are exploited?

It was a joke, buddy.  The serious implication is, of course, that in terms of repeat visits this kind of thing becomes a rather personal relationship..  Just like the case of gold-digging wives in the US, it isn't always so clear who is exploiting who or who has the 'power'.   

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout