Zambian miners rise up, kill Chinese mine owner
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:22:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Zambian miners rise up, kill Chinese mine owner
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Zambian miners rise up, kill Chinese mine owner  (Read 2753 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2012, 04:02:02 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19135435#

Obviously it's wrong to murder a human being, though it's hard to not sympathize with the miners.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »

Well, not really surprising, through events shouldn't reach that point in the modern world.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 06:34:06 PM »

Manager, not owner. I'm sure the owners of the mine are still sitting pretty in China.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »

Obviously it's wrong to murder a human being, though it's hard to not sympathize with the miners.

I succeeded. Obviously a minimum wage is a key part of the sort of thing governments should do, and it should be enforced, but the very idea of strikers killing businessmen leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. Thankfully in the country where I live this sort of thing doesn't happen.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 07:22:29 PM »

I succeeded. Obviously a minimum wage is a key part of the sort of thing governments should do, and it should be enforced, but the very idea of strikers killing businessmen leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. Thankfully in the country where I live this sort of thing doesn't happen.

You really are completely and across the board in favor of established interests and power, aren't you?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 07:22:42 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Good for the miners, vigilante justice can be the only recourse when the system is stacked against you, the litigation system is broken and you aren't given basic human rights.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 07:29:24 PM »

I'm with Snow here.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 07:34:25 PM »

'It's in the evening after dark...'
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 08:56:56 PM »

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 01:34:36 AM »

Chinese neo-imperialism in Africa is a disturbing phenomena indeed. The methods are worse than what even the hardest European neo-colonialist could even think of.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 01:37:32 AM »

Freedom fighters.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 03:31:43 PM »

Now if the Chinese slaves would rise up and kill those above them in China, and the American ones in America, and so forth.  I suppose it isn't impossible.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 03:52:53 PM »

Now if the Chinese slaves would rise up and kill those above them in China, and the American ones in America, and so forth.  I suppose it isn't impossible.

They should start in Thailand first.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 09:49:07 PM »

It's a good question of whether American slaves could rise up, considering they have all been exported to china or contained in certain neighborhoods.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 10:53:20 PM »

You really are completely and across the board in favor of established interests and power, aren't you?

Actually I was a little amazed by the first half of his second sentence.  The monocle seems to be slipping.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 10:19:18 AM »

Heheh, you mean I should rise up against the ladies I pay out loads of money to each month?
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 11:29:13 AM »

Being opposed to the murder in cold blood of businessmen isn't to do with being in favour of established interests and power.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 12:02:11 PM »

They should have captured and detained the bloke - the killing cannot be justified and forfeits at least in part some of the miners' moral high ground. Though I sympathize and more closely align with the Zambian miners than the management and mostly agree with Politicus when it comes to the exploitation of Africans by the PRC, shedding blood is nevertheless very poor form.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »

Heheh, you mean I should rise up against the ladies I pay out loads of money to each month?

You're not one of the slaves, and I thought one reason you liked the place was that you didn't have to pay as much.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 03:23:41 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12973534

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Same mine.

So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 10:12:45 AM »

Chinese neo-imperialism in Africa is a disturbing phenomena indeed. The methods are worse than what even the hardest European neo-colonialist could even think of.
I beg to differ. Look into the methods used by oil companies in Nigeria.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 02:58:15 PM »

Zambia: Proud Subsidiary of the People's Republic of China

Appears to be the case.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 06:55:48 PM »

Being opposed to the murder in cold blood of businessmen isn't to do with being in favour of established interests and power.

I'm opposed to it because it's people killing people. Vosem seems to care an inordinate amount about the positions of the people in question.

So in essence I agree with Redalgo.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 05:27:56 AM »

So, when you're paying people for their work they're exploiting you but in all other instances when someone gets paid it's the people getting paid who are exploited?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 10:44:25 AM »

You're not one of the slaves, and I thought one reason you liked the place was that you didn't have to pay as much.

Well, compared to the price of other things, and normal salaries, working girls are much more expensive here - say $35 baht for a high-quality 1-3 hours, compared to a normal working-class wage of about $10/day.  In the US you'd pay $200 for the same service, and a normal working class wage is nearly $100/day. 

So, when you're paying people for their work they're exploiting you but in all other instances when someone gets paid it's the people getting paid who are exploited?

It was a joke, buddy.  The serious implication is, of course, that in terms of repeat visits this kind of thing becomes a rather personal relationship..  Just like the case of gold-digging wives in the US, it isn't always so clear who is exploiting who or who has the 'power'.   
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies