What if George Bush Sr had been re-elected in 92
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:50:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  What if George Bush Sr had been re-elected in 92
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would the Republicans have put up in 96 if Bush 41 won re-election?
Dan Quayle

Bob Dole

Pat Buchanan

One of the Bush sons

other (Specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: What if George Bush Sr had been re-elected in 92  (Read 3052 times)
DanimalBr

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2005, 11:44:14 PM »

I attended the inauguration ceremonies on Tuesday.  And as they were introducing the guests, I saw a face and heard a name I haven't heard in a long time, Dan Quayle.  And I'm starting to ask myself, what if George H. W. Bush had won re-election in 1992. 

For most of the past century, whenever a two term president comes to the end of his time in office, the sitting V.P. seems to always get the nomination for the next election.  V.P Nixon got the nomination in 1960 after Eisenhower.  V.P Bush got the nomination in 88  after Reagain.  V.P. Gore got the nomination in 200 after Gore.   Cheney will be the exception as it looks unlikey he will run in 08 due to health reasons. 

But given how much the press pounded Dan Quayle, and his constant image problem, I wonder if he would have gotten the nod in 96 had Bush 41 won re-election.  You also had Bob Dole at that time who's career was ending and as it turned out he made one final run at the presidency.  You also had Pat Buchanan who tried several times to get the Republican nomination.   And of course you have George W. and Jeb who by 96 had their own political careers and probably would have had their names tossed up.  So who would it have been
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 11:52:35 PM »

Two possibilities, Dick Cheney (and he was considering a run in '96), and Lamar Alexander (who ran in '96).   Powell would have be the best candidate, but probably would not have run.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 11:58:02 PM »

John Kasich, John Ashcroft, maybe.

I'm seeing John Kerry, Al Gore, and Bob Graham go for the Democratic nod.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 01:31:04 AM »

Quayle would have gotten the nomination. He may have been a laughingstock but the White House would have saved his candidacy. In the general, of course, he would have been slaughtered.
themadmac
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 05:29:19 AM »

Nah... Dole would've taken Quayle in the primaries.  Despite the VP tag, Quayle was a lightweight next to Dole.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 11:39:42 AM »

people speculated that Bradley might beat Gore, but when it came down to it, with the VP tag, Gore ran Bradley into the ground.  I'd bet the same would happen, with people speculating against Quayle early on, but Quayle getting the nom in the end anyway.
RJ
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 03:09:53 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2005, 03:11:36 PM by RJ »

I'm almost certain it would have been Quayle. Even though he was not very well liked, there was enough of a base to vote for him. He also would have had much more recognition than even Dole. Plus, he probably would have had the endorsement of a sitting two term president.

And of course you have George W. and Jeb who by 96 had their own political careers and probably would have had their names tossed up. 

George Jr. was elected as the governor of Texas in 1996 and Jeb won the same in Florida in the same year, or so I've read, so their political careers would probably not be established at that time, although(little known fact) "Dubya" ran his father's campaign in 1988.

Not trying to hi-jack a thread or anything and I'll start a new one if it gets too out of hand, but I think a more interesting question would be who would the republicans have run in 04' if Gore won in 2000?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 03:11:11 PM »

It was 1994 when George Bush and Jeb Bush won their gubernatorial elections.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 03:12:20 PM »

Jeb Bush lost in '94.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 03:17:06 PM »

Oh, sorry, I forgot. Jeb won in '98 and '02.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2005, 03:21:00 PM »

George Jr. was elected as the governor of Texas in 1996 and Jeb won the same in Florida in the same year, or so I've read, so their political careers would probably not be established at that time, although(little known fact) "Dubya" ran his father's campaign in 1988.

GWB didn't "run" the campaugn, but he was a senior, if unofficial, political advisor to GHWB.  He was exceptionally involved in the campaign, but didn't "run" it.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2005, 03:34:53 PM »

Senator Richard Lugar of Indiana.

He ran his campaign on fighting terrorism and limiting  for WMD's in enemy nations. These dieas were not fully thought of as "important" in 1996, but Bush did throw hiss upport behind Lugar in 1996, at least "unoficially."
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 03:14:28 PM »

Senator Richard Lugar of Indiana.

He ran his campaign on fighting terrorism and limiting  for WMD's in enemy nations. These dieas were not fully thought of as "important" in 1996, but Bush did throw hiss upport behind Lugar in 1996, at least "unoficially."

Lugar? He's even less credible as a presidential candidate than Phil Gramm or Bob Dole were.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2005, 05:10:51 AM »

The Democrats wouldn't have lost the House in 1994
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies