RNC speakers announced 8/14 UPDATE: Christie to keynote; Rubio to introduce Mitt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:22:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  RNC speakers announced 8/14 UPDATE: Christie to keynote; Rubio to introduce Mitt
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: RNC speakers announced 8/14 UPDATE: Christie to keynote; Rubio to introduce Mitt  (Read 5489 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2012, 12:32:22 AM »

Sorry if this is already somewhere else, but this seemed like the thread for it...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/chris-christie-deliver-gop-convention-keynote-045319800.html

Chris Christie will be giving the Keynote Address.

Oh, dear.  He will excite the base and possibly reel in some independents, but he has the potential to overshadow both Ryan and Romney.  That's not something the Republicans need at this point.

Yes, he'll have a big shadow.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2012, 04:58:38 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2012, 05:01:32 AM by Politico »

Palin is out. The new Republican Party is committed to economic freedom and decentralized government. The party is still largely socially conservative, but now realizes that culture wars do not solve economic problems.

I would have preferred Rubio as the keynote speaker, but Christie is just too electrifying to overlook, I guess.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2012, 05:23:23 AM »

While Christie is giving the keynote address, Rubio will be the one to introduce Romney on the last night of the convention:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/national/marco-rubio-to-introduce-mitt-romney-at-rnc/1245656
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2012, 05:34:59 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2012, 05:48:33 AM by Politico »

While Christie is giving the keynote address, Rubio will be the one to introduce Romney on the last night of the convention:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/national/marco-rubio-to-introduce-mitt-romney-at-rnc/1245656

Good choice IMHO. I would also make sure one of the elders of the GOP introduces Ryan. Any ideas? How about George H.W. Bush and/or Barbara Bush if they can muster it? They seemed in good shape back in May (especially Barbara).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2012, 05:46:21 AM »

Good choice. I would also make sure one of the elders of the GOP introduces Ryan. Any ideas? How about George H.W. Bush and/or Barbara Bush if they can muster it? They seemed in good shape back in May (especially Barbara).

Neither Bush-41 nor Bush-43 is attending the convention.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2012, 05:49:38 AM »

Chris Christie? The keynote'll be a piece of cake for him.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2012, 05:50:14 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2012, 05:51:48 AM by Politico »

Good choice. I would also make sure one of the elders of the GOP introduces Ryan. Any ideas? How about George H.W. Bush and/or Barbara Bush if they can muster it? They seemed in good shape back in May (especially Barbara).

That goes without saying.

I think the GOP needs a powerhouse elder to introduce Ryan. Somebody who polls well with seniors. Romney could probably convince H.W. Bush or Barbara Bush to do it.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2012, 05:52:15 AM »

Palin is out. The new Republican Party is committed to economic freedom and decentralized government. The party is still largely socially conservative, but now realizes that culture wars do not solve economic problems.

I would have preferred Rubio as the keynote speaker, but Christie is just too electrifying to overlook, I guess.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2012, 06:16:48 AM »

I think the GOP needs a powerhouse elder to introduce Ryan. Somebody who polls well with seniors. Romney could probably convince H.W. Bush or Barbara Bush to do it.

H.W. has already said that he's skipping the convention because of health reasons.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2012, 06:25:02 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2012, 06:26:56 AM by Politico »

H.W. has already said that he's skipping the convention because of health reasons.

Yeah, I was not aware. I just read that he's confined to a wheelchair right now. There is still a possibility of Barbara Bush, I hope. She would be perfect for introducing Ryan if she is up to it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2012, 07:33:38 AM »

There is still a possibility of Barbara Bush, I hope. She would be perfect for introducing Ryan if she is up to it.

No.  She'd make Ryan look young and inexperienced, despite all the time he has spent in the House.  Ryan needs an eminence grise without so much grise to introduce him.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2012, 07:37:33 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2012, 07:39:23 AM by Politico »

There is still a possibility of Barbara Bush, I hope. She would be perfect for introducing Ryan if she is up to it.

No.  She'd make Ryan look young and inexperienced

How so? She was merely a political wife, albeit a popular one. Almost anybody will make Ryan look young. The important thing is to make him look safe to seniors. I bet no living political figure in the Republican Party is more popular among all seniors than Barbara Bush.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2012, 07:50:11 AM »

How so? She was merely a political wife, albeit a popular one. Almost anybody will make Ryan look young. The important thing is to make him look safe to seniors. I bet no living political figure in the Republican Party is more popular among all seniors than Barbara Bush.

Barbara Bush wasn't merely First Lady, she was First Grandma.  As for making Ryan look safe to seniors, good luck with that, he'll need it.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2012, 08:08:31 AM »

Laura Bush remains popular though and could give a good intro. I just doubt she'd be asked.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2012, 09:19:28 AM »

Why not have George P. Bush introduce Ryan? He demonstrates continuity with the dynasty.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2012, 10:22:01 AM »

Honestly, I think Condi Rice would be pretty decent to introduce Ryan.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2012, 10:31:06 AM »

Honestly, I think Condi Rice would be pretty decent to introduce Ryan.

She'd only highlight the ticket's historic lack of foreign policy experience.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2012, 10:49:50 AM »

You do realize that few persuadable voters watch the party conventions right? These people could care less who introduces who.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2012, 11:12:26 AM »

Will Christie use his speech to announce for 2016?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2012, 03:34:17 PM »

No.  She'd make Ryan look young and inexperienced, despite all the time he has spent in the House.  Ryan needs an eminence grise without so much grise to introduce him.
Paul Ryan has balls, but Babs Bush has bigger ones. She should get the keynote speech.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2012, 01:30:15 PM »

Update: Rep. Connie Mack IV will also speak at the convention, as shall:
  • Artur Davis
  • Bobby Jindal
  • Rob Portman
  • Bob McDonnell
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »

Update: Rep. Connie Mack IV will also speak at the convention, as shall:
  • Artur Davis
  • Bobby Jindal
  • Rob Portman
  • Bob McDonnell

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2012, 06:03:26 PM »

It was almost certain that Mack would speak as the Senate Candidate in the state that the Convention is held. They were just waiting untill he had won the primary.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2012, 09:26:02 AM »

Anyone know when they'll announce the time slots for each speaker?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »

Anyone know when they'll announce the time slots for each speaker?

Having just done a search, it seems that the schedule in 2008 was revealed on August 20th (12 days before the convention started):

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=81137.0

We are currently ten days away from this year's convention. So perhaps today or tomorrow?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies