What kind of election night would you prefer in 2012? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:32:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  What kind of election night would you prefer in 2012? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What kind of election night would you prefer in 2012?
A very close and exciting night.

A night where your candidate wins easily.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 100

Author Topic: What kind of election night would you prefer in 2012?  (Read 3316 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 06, 2012, 02:38:45 PM »

Either one, but since Romney has little chance of winning by a very comfortable margin (thanks to the EVs from CA, IL, and NY being almost sure bets for Obama and the nature of the campaign), I expect it to be close.  But of course, just because one candidate wins easily doesn't mean that it isn't close in the end.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »

I want an election like the Super Bowls I grew up with. Over early. With Obama playing the role of the NFC team that destroys Mitt Bronco Bill Romney.
I see you must have grown up in the 90s, eh?  I'm supporting Romney, but I can understand that mentality.  But close elections (ala 1960 or 2000, though there have been plenty of more recent presidential elections that have either been close of decided by a modest margin) are always the most exciting, even if your candidate loses (but it's still WAY more exciting when they win).  I don't care that much how close the election is, just as long as my candidate (Romney) wins.  I know you support Obama, but I think you get my point.  But, just for the sake of it, I would LOVE an election like Super Bowl XIV in 1980 (Steelers vs. Rams), where the lead changed places seven times before the Steelers finally won.  If Romney could win an election like that, I would stay up until he got to 270 EVs.  Then again, I'm planning on staying up until a winner on either side is declared.  Ironically enough, the Super Bowl and Election Night are the two TV nights I never want to miss.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:21:14 AM »

Look, I've watched election nights since 1992. So I only know from 2 things, Dems win big or GOP wins close. If Obama is called the winner at 3 AM by a margin of 272-266, great. But I'd rather know early. We can stay up late for the US senate races. Let Tammy Baldwin win by 5000 votes.
Unfortunately, that is true from what I've seen. 
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:16:24 PM »

I want the only questions being whether Michigan and Connecticut, states like that, are going to Romney. In other words, I want this over as soon as the polls close in the Midwest. I want it to be such a landslide that enough Democrats in California go home before the polls close there that Romney pulls off the upset.

Of course, Election Night and the Super Bowl are the only real must-see TV events.
Michigan, yes.  Connecticut and California, no.  Michigan is a swing state, but all the indications are that the election will be close, so they will probably stay in Obama's column.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 07:55:48 AM »

It seems Illinois will also close at 7 ET, so Romney won't get that early lead.
Illinois usually closes at 8 ET.  Are they thinking about changing it for this election?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies