Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2014, 04:34:46 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate (Moderator: Beet)
| | |-+  Nothing is going to change, get used to it.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Nothing is going to change, get used to it.  (Read 1607 times)
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2012, 01:02:08 pm »
Ignore

I have to say that the way both sides present the debate on Climate Change seems to be quite fallacious.  I mean, from my view there are two sides here that engage in a level of naivete that is reserved for people who think Professional Wrestling is real:

Side One: THERE IS NO CLIMATE CHANGE!  AND IT IS DEFINITELY NOT MAN MADE! (foams at mouth)
Variation: Yes there is Climate Change, but it is definitely not at all manmade.  It's soooo natural man!

And then there is the other side of the debate, mostly agreed on by "feelgooders" and socially conscious PC liberals:

Side 2: Climate change is real, it is caused by humans, BUT WE CAN PREVENT IT FROM GOING ANY FURTHER!

(facepalm)

I mean really, no wonder why a bunch of people find this debate to be so mindblowingly stupid.  What did people think happened to industrial gasses?  That said gasses were converted into Angel Farts?  Seriously!?  Industrialized areas are known to have higher rates of cancer and lung problems....yet people are shocked that industrialization could possibly lead to Climate Change?  The Earth is changing, yes it's our fault, AND NOW WE ARE NOW HOISTED BY OUR OWN PETARD!  THE PETARD OF INDUSTRIALIZATION!

So yes, the alarmists are indeed right.. . .  . .until they have the audacity, the nerve to say that we can be saved.  That we can actually stop this process.

We are beyond salvation right now.  We would need f***ing Star Trek technology to reverse the trend.  Sure, you could argue BUT BUT GREEN ENERGY!  BUHBUHBUT GREEN TAXES!  Yes, and wearing a WIN button will stop runaway inflation.  Such policies are at best "feel good" and don't do what needs to be done: reversal.  We don't need to stop the trend, WE NEED TO F***ING REVERSE IT.  And with the level of tech we are at I would love somebody to enlighten me as to HOW with technology where it's at how we ever hope to stop the Climate Change process.

If there is ever a case to be made for Futility, this is it.

But you know, maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe there is some data I'm overlooking that suggests that climate scales and graphs are wrong and that there was significantly more climate instability in 980 AD than now.  Or maybe there is some tech out there that, if given the funding, would somehow reverse the current trends and there will be a snowy winter in 2032 IF WE ACT NOW.
If so, then please, enlighten me.  Because so far I don't know why people waste the same amount of time on this issue as they would on more meaningful issues, like the amount of latent homosexuality in Top Gun.

17:20   bore   the point of atlasia is to achieve things which you can then use as pick up lines
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 02:23:43 pm »
Ignore

I have to say that the way both sides present the debate on Climate Change seems to be quite fallacious.  I mean, from my view there are two sides here that engage in a level of naivete that is reserved for people who think Professional Wrestling is real:

Side One: THERE IS NO CLIMATE CHANGE!  AND IT IS DEFINITELY NOT MAN MADE! (foams at mouth)
Variation: Yes there is Climate Change, but it is definitely not at all manmade.  It's soooo natural man!

And then there is the other side of the debate, mostly agreed on by "feelgooders" and socially conscious PC liberals:

Side 2: Climate change is real, it is caused by humans, BUT WE CAN PREVENT IT FROM GOING ANY FURTHER!
(facepalm)

I mean really, no wonder why a bunch of people find this debate to be so mindblowingly stupid.  What did people think happened to industrial gasses?  That said gasses were converted into Angel Farts?  Seriously!?  Industrialized areas are known to have higher rates of cancer and lung problems....yet people are shocked that industrialization could possibly lead to Climate Change?  The Earth is changing, yes it's our fault, AND NOW WE ARE NOW HOISTED BY OUR OWN PETARD!  THE PETARD OF INDUSTRIALIZATION!

So yes, the alarmists are indeed right.. . .  . .until they have the audacity, the nerve to say that we can be saved.  That we can actually stop this process.

Well, it matters a lot just how bad cimate change becomes, so it still makes sense to try to prevent it from escalating any further.

We are beyond salvation right now.  We would need f***ing Star Trek technology to reverse the trend.  Sure, you could argue BUT BUT GREEN ENERGY!  BUHBUHBUT GREEN TAXES!  Yes, and wearing a WIN button will stop runaway inflation.  Such policies are at best "feel good" and don't do what needs to be done: reversal.  We don't need to stop the trend, WE NEED TO F***ING REVERSE IT.  And with the level of tech we are at I would love somebody to enlighten me as to HOW with technology where it's at how we ever hope to stop the Climate Change process.

If there is ever a case to be made for Futility, this is it.

But you know, maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe there is some data I'm overlooking that suggests that climate scales and graphs are wrong and that there was significantly more climate instability in 980 AD than now.  Or maybe there is some tech out there that, if given the funding, would somehow reverse the current trends and there will be a snowy winter in 2032 IF WE ACT NOW.
If so, then please, enlighten me.  Because so far I don't know why people waste the same amount of time on this issue as they would on more meaningful issues, like the amount of latent homosexuality in Top Gun.

Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 02:47:20 pm »
Ignore

In other words, we are all screwed.

Honestly, you are almost certainly right. It's hard to find data that would prove you wrong. However, I think I live better thinking there is a hope spot, which humanity needs to desperately search for. So I'll keep thinking that way.

Note : the reflection above actually applies to the view I have on many other issues, notably the European economy.

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

It really is.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
Dereich
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 03:33:17 pm »
Ignore

Really the main issue that I find with climate change is that it isn't an "imminent" crisis. Every year I hear one severe weather pattern or another blamed on climate change, as if there was a huge change over the course of the past year or even decade. From what I can tell, the best estimate of its effects is still 1.8-4.0°C over the next 100 years. Even if temperatures did rise by 4 degrees, it wouldn't be world ending; the problems it would cause (lower crop yields in Africa, less water availability, extinctions of plant/animal species) are problems we're already dealing with today. I have little doubt that by the time climate change could cause real, painful damage we'll have either found ways to greatly mitigate the problems or mitigate the rising temperatures themselves.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 04:52:45 pm »
Ignore

I feel enlightened. Jussayin.

i like girls but there is NOTHING better then a sexi hott dude
hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 01:07:27 pm »
Ignore

This is why we need to do a complete world phase out of fossil fuels, and be 100% renewable by 2040. It can be done. It's affordable, there's more than enough energy to do it, and plus, we have a cleaner world. We can even do it without nuclear OR biomass. Wind, water, solar, and geothermal would be enough. Also, wind water solar and geothermal energy is spread out throughout the world, so there isn't the problem of it all being in one place. The problem is that the Republicans seem to be in denial about science because of the whole fact that it will hurt their precious oil and coal industries.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.  So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.-Jack Layton 1950-2011
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on-John F. Kennedy 1917-1963
Rhodie
South Africa

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 01:22:22 pm »
Ignore

This is why we need to do a complete world phase out of fossil fuels, and be 100% renewable by 2040. It can be done. It's affordable, there's more than enough energy to do it, and plus, we have a cleaner world. We can even do it without nuclear OR biomass. Wind, water, solar, and geothermal would be enough. Also, wind water solar and geothermal energy is spread out throughout the world, so there isn't the problem of it all being in one place. The problem is that the Republicans seem to be in denial about science because of the whole fact that it will hurt their precious oil and coal industries.

And destroy millions of livelihoods, and wreck the economy.

Economic score: +6.19
Social score: +2.61

"Freedom. And Justice. If you have those two, it covers everything. You must stick to those principles and have the courage of your convictions"

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 02:36:21 pm »
Ignore

You mean like Thatcherism? Wink
IDS Judicial Overlord PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 02:42:13 pm »
Ignore

Millions? Probably billions. Supplying even a fraction of the world's energy needs through renewable resources would be ludicrously expensive.

They call me PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 04:19:23 pm »
Ignore

Since when did right-wingers care about the economy or about people's livelihoods?
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 05:02:59 pm »
Ignore

The economy is of a considerably more ephemeral nature than the planet that sustains it. I doubt there's any option that wouldn't destroy millions of livelihoods and wreck the economy. It's just a question of what else gets wrecked.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 10:21:25 am »
Ignore

^^^^^
Proving my point.

17:20   bore   the point of atlasia is to achieve things which you can then use as pick up lines
Rhodie
South Africa

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 10:37:52 am »
Ignore

Since when did right-wingers care about the economy or about people's livelihoods?

I think you'll find the right has done more to help ordinary people than the left. I will substantiate when asked.

"Freedom. And Justice. If you have those two, it covers everything. You must stick to those principles and have the courage of your convictions"

Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 01:00:33 pm »
Ignore

Actually, in fairness to Rhodie, most of the people I know in local charitable organizations who are willing to discuss politics are conservative Republicans. People generally care about the economy and the livelihoods of others, and to what extent isn't a partisan divide, I reckon. They sometimes simply have different ways of going about expressing these sentiments.

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 01:36:25 pm »
Ignore

This is why we need to do a complete world phase out of fossil fuels, and be 100% renewable by 2040. It can be done. It's affordable, there's more than enough energy to do it, and plus, we have a cleaner world. We can even do it without nuclear OR biomass. Wind, water, solar, and geothermal would be enough. Also, wind water solar and geothermal energy is spread out throughout the world, so there isn't the problem of it all being in one place.

Care to provide a cite for your utopian fantasy? 

My ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D/Working Families) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
TBD: Lex 1 School Board
Yes: Am. 1 (allow charity raffles)
No: Am. 2 (end election of the Adj. General)
No: Local Sales Tax
Yes: Temp Beer/Wine Permits
Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 04:45:40 pm »
Ignore

An interesting side note, if it weren't for man-made global warming, the Earth would actually be on course for another glacial period.  I've read a number of places that cold periods during the collapse of the western roman empire and the Little Ice Age in the middle of the last century were "_ events" (forgot the name) and should have precipitated and even harsher cooling, akin to the Younger Dryas event 10,000 years ago.  If man-made climate change can be slowed to a certain point, perhaps the Earth's climate can be held in equilibrium (assuming, of course, that we are on the cusp of another dramatic cooling event)?

You're Atlas experience will be 100x better if you turn signatures off. Trust me.
Hatman
EarlAW
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.97, S: -6.00

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 05:17:17 pm »
Ignore

Things could be reversed, but the political will is not there. And such drastic changes in people's lifestyles would be needed. Big $$$ will do all it can to prevent any serious change, so yeah... we are all screwed. When the deluge happens, I will at least I will feel better going to conservative and telling them "I told you so".  sigh...

Of course, I am comforted by the fact that Canada will come out as one of the least scathed countries. Wont stop things from going to s**t though.

http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.com

Follow me on Twitter @EarlWashburn
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 06:17:26 pm »
Ignore

I think you'll find the right has done more to help ordinary people than the left. I will substantiate when asked.

No need to ask, we know the hooey. 

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 09:21:50 pm »
Ignore

Eh.  We might get a big volcanic eruption that causes enough global dimming that the heating trend stops/reverses.  Krakatoa, I hope you're warming up!  Smiley

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
realisticidealist
YaBB God
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 10:13:34 pm »
Ignore

I think the fatalism in this thread belies how much small (or not so small), unexpected things upset the myth of perpetual trends.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 10:47:40 am »
Ignore

This is why we need to do a complete world phase out of fossil fuels, and be 100% renewable by 2040. It can be done. It's affordable, there's more than enough energy to do it, and plus, we have a cleaner world. We can even do it without nuclear OR biomass. Wind, water, solar, and geothermal would be enough. Also, wind water solar and geothermal energy is spread out throughout the world, so there isn't the problem of it all being in one place.

Yes, in fact.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=a-path-to-sustainable-energy-by-2030
http://www.treehugger.com/renewable-energy/100-renewable-energy-by-2050-is-possible-heres-how-we-can-do-it.html

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.  So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.-Jack Layton 1950-2011
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on-John F. Kennedy 1917-1963
IDS Judicial Overlord PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 06:58:05 pm »
Ignore

Yes, in fact.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=a-path-to-sustainable-energy-by-2030
http://www.treehugger.com/renewable-energy/100-renewable-energy-by-2050-is-possible-heres-how-we-can-do-it.html

Too bad they don't actually talk about the costs of installation in their estimate. I estimated that installing enough solar panels to supply the world's power usage in solar energy would cost about $200 trillion. Well, better hope the other sources are cheaper.

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 01:17:07 pm »
Ignore

The only viable solution to this crisis is one that's market-driven... and that's not a very realistic solution. Still, any other solution just will not happen.

The government knows it can't realistically mandate the type of change that is necessary, because such a quick, mandated change would screw everyone over. So this type of solution just won't happen.

Sustainable energy and environmentally friendly products have to become popular and cheap. Interestingly, each of those characteristics will help with the other (if it becomes more popular, it will become more cheap; if it becomes cheaper, it will become more popular). The thing is, companies have to make this change voluntarily, which will only happen if making the change will pay off. It's not like companies are deliberately ignoring global warming. The market for environmentally-friendly products will improve when fossil fuels become more scarce.

Rhodie
South Africa

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 01:51:32 pm »
Ignore

Yes, in fact.

A website known as treehugger is a non-biased, reliable website?

Citizen Alfred
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 09:10:33 pm »
Ignore

Yes, in fact.

A website known as treehugger is a non-biased, reliable website?

Scientific American isn't a website?

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout