SENATE BILL: Antarctic Incorporation Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:49:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Antarctic Incorporation Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Antarctic Incorporation Act (Failed)  (Read 2935 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2012, 03:28:58 PM »
« edited: September 01, 2012, 08:28:22 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: NC Yankee for a Constituent
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 08:29:06 AM »

Under the Antarctic Treaty, Atlasia has reserved rights to claim territory below 60° South; it is time to exercise such a right before the Russians and Brazilians do. Such a claim would allow Atlasian scientists a legitimate base for Antarctic exploration and also claim Atlasian rights to whatever future valuable materials could be found in the sector. The sector is currently unclaimed and claiming it would not claim land currently claimed by another country; indeed, this bill would simply formalize claims to Marie Byrd Land established by the Atlasian Antarctic Service Expedition, which this directive suggests would be a solid base for a claim. The President has expressed his support for the measure.

I am looking at claiming Antarctica to be Atlasian land and given that it is about as south as you can get there is only one place to put it. Wink
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:25:21 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2012, 10:31:03 AM by Redalgo »

I have some very serious reservations about this legislation.

Seizing this territory could make it more difficult for Argentina, Chile, and the United Kingdom to settle their territorial disputes, create new tensions with Russia and Norway - the former of which is accustomed to conducting its Antarctic business wherever it pleases with impunity and the latter claiming Peter I Island, a parcel of territory that falls within the zone specified for this IDS / Atlasian claim, and jeopardize more than half a century's work to keep the Antarctic continent free of militarization. This new state of Byrd would need to have no military defenses and allow unfettered access to foreign scientists. Otherwise it will seem as though Atlasia has taken on a much more aggressive, expansionist foreign policy.

It also happens to be my position that developing countries would benefit from claims to new resources found in Antarctica much more than Atlasia ever could in terms of overall potential for human development and, even if claiming this territory were a good idea, it's location clearly makes it better suited for incorporation into the People's Region of the Pacific than into the Imperial Dominion of the South. And no, I'm not only saying this because it could potentially lend me a little more leverage to exert in my region's irredentist claim to New Mexico. ^^

Sam, can you explain to me how this claim would yield positive outcomes for humanity as a whole?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 02:31:42 PM »

These two amendments should attempt to satisfy such concerns. The issue with Norway is addressed in the 1st article (excluding any territory claimed by any other sovereign state).
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 02:36:17 PM »

An amendment:
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 03:47:41 PM »

I urge the Senators to reject this proposal.

Sure, you may claim it's just about a "piece of ice", but returning to territorial expansionism is a very dangerous and certainly unwarranted precedent.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 03:58:51 PM »

Frankly- I'm inclined to agree with Kalwejt.... why is this needed? Is there a risk of other countries booting our researchers from the continent?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 04:30:26 PM »

Frankly- I'm inclined to agree with Kalwejt.... why is this needed? Is there a risk of other countries booting our researchers from the continent?

It gives us a location that is definitively Atlasian to serve as a base to facilitate Atlasian scientific observation and study of Antarctica. Such will enhance our capability to research further into Antarctica, thus benefiting global scientific knowledge. Plus, it helps secure for Atlasia what could be considerable reserves of oil and fish that are currently claimed by no other nation.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 04:49:59 PM »

It gives us a location that is definitively Atlasian to serve as a base to facilitate Atlasian scientific observation and study of Antarctica. Such will enhance our capability to research further into Antarctica, thus benefiting global scientific knowledge. Plus, it helps secure for Atlasia what could be considerable reserves of oil and fish that are currently claimed by no other nation.
Could you please generally describe the current situation... do we not have rights to the fishing and oil as is and what is the policy of other nations towards the Antarctic?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 05:02:05 PM »

Could you please generally describe the current situation... do we not have rights to the fishing and oil as is and what is the policy of other nations towards the Antarctic?

Right now it's terra nullius, meaning that to extract oil and such we need to get specific approval from the International Seabed Authority, pay fees and taxes, get a permit, steps we wouldn't have to take if we simply exercised our right to claim the territory under the Antarctic Treaty.

As for the policy of other nations, seven have made territorial claims to Antarctic sectors. I believe only the Argentine and Chilean sectors are inhabited. Here's a map of current claims:

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 05:07:11 PM »

Why are we not further utilizing our Artic territories for such purposes? We have hundreds if not thousands of years worth of coal, oil and natural gas. Wouldnt this aswage our concerns over foreign oil?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 06:11:54 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2012, 12:19:56 PM by Redalgo »

These two amendments should attempt to satisfy such concerns. The issue with Norway is addressed in the 1st article . . .

This is very helpful, and is a major step in the right direction, thanks.

. . . returning to territorial expansionism is a very dangerous and certainly unwarranted precedent.

This was part of my initial reaction as well. Upon further reading into the matter, however, it apears that Atlasia has operated in the territory in question for many decades and began to consider annexing the parcel in question at around the same time Great Britain made its own territorial claim on the Antarctic continent. I am still leaning in the direction of opposition, but admittedly find the proposition much less repulsive than was the case at first glance.

Then again, to be perfectly honest, none of these reasons seem particularly compelling to me. We do not need a territorial claim to continue having a secure, long-term commitment to the pursuit of scientific endeavors in Antarctica, and global scientific knowledge will be benefited in either event because the Antarctic Treaty put into motion collaborative efforts for countries to pool their resources and share their scientific findings to make optimal use of their finite resources committed to the region. Atlasia already has extremely generous access to fish and oil resources, and both of those reserves - as I previously expressed - could do wonders for the economy of and living conditions within a developing nation, whereas in Atlasian hands the boons would be relatively modest (and at worst could come across as seizing for ourselves buried riches to squander before Third World countries have any reasonable opportunity to develop them despite their comparable proximity to said resources). And that is aside from the fact that I'm opposed to expanded oil production on the part of Atlasia, anyway.

Are there any other reasons to speak of? Also, why shouldn't such a hypothetical territory fall into the hands of the Pacific region, whose merchant marine assets have relatively direct and straightforward access to Byrd from its major ports? I do not mean to pose too pointed of questions or take on any sort of negative tone, but I still need a bit of convincing here. Smile
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 12:41:34 PM »

Are there any other reasons to speak of? Also, why shouldn't such a hypothetical territory fall into the hands of the Pacific region, whose merchant marine assets have relatively direct and straightforward access to Byrd from its major ports?

Not much there but fish, tourists, and scientists (hydrocarbon and mineral deposits as well, but they're rather small), and this claim would allow us control of the fisheries, a base for our scientists (in a relatively unexplored part of Antarctica), and a place for tourism without the hassle of customs.

As for the territory, the major tourism operator in the region (Azamara Cruises) is based out of the IDS, and fishing ships would find richer and more varied markets sailing back along the Atlantic than the Pacific.

Sorry if this is kinda short, my reply got eaten by session timeout twice already.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 03:42:07 PM »

I heard something today about an Australian expedition to rescue a sick American Scientist in Antartica.

Perhaps we should consider building an advanced medical facility down there to deal with such circumstances in our zone.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 04:18:05 PM »

I heard something today about an Australian expedition to rescue a sick American Scientist in Antartica.

Perhaps we should consider building an advanced medical facility down there to deal with such circumstances in our zone.

Ah! That was the other reason it should be part of the IDS: because the IDS currently has a bill in their legislative queue that would expand scientific and medical facilities in this sector if it does become part of Atlasia.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 03:13:43 PM »

The amendment has passed.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 11:02:45 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2012, 11:04:50 AM by Senator Scott »

Mr. SJoyceFla, a constituent of mine has expressed concerns over this legislation.  Would you please provide evidence from the treaty that claiming the territory is legally sound and that the Russians and Brazilians are, in fact, thinking about claiming it first?  On that matter, how one of them claiming it affect our current activities in the Arctic since the treaty already provides our scientists with a legitimate basis for exploration?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 12:52:35 PM »

Mr. SJoyceFla, a constituent of mine has expressed concerns over this legislation.  Would you please provide evidence from the treaty that claiming the territory is legally sound and that the Russians and Brazilians are, in fact, thinking about claiming it first?  On that matter, how one of them claiming it affect our current activities in the Arctic since the treaty already provides our scientists with a legitimate basis for exploration?

This map shows Brazil's proposed "Zone of Interest", which, while not a formal territorial claim, is a designation of their particular interest in that zone of the Antarctic. They, as well as the Russians, have officially declared their reservation of a right to make a territorial claim under the Antarctic Treaty. I cannot find a specific government document in which the right to reserve a claim is specifically spelled out, but we reserved that right when we ratified the Antarctic Treaty. As for how one of them claiming it would affect our current activities, while our scientific explorations would likely be unaffected, our ability to fish in what would be claimed as Russian (or Brazilian) waters would be sharply reduced.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 05:48:08 PM »

What is the situation here?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 11:11:16 PM »

At the moment, I plan to vote for the legislation.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 11:40:41 PM »

At the moment, I plan to vote for the legislation.

As do I.  I need the opposition to really convince me on this.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 11:42:38 PM »

I also plan to vote for it after my initial hesitation... our nation's interests must come first
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 07:00:59 AM »

You guys are prepared to risk ending a decades-long period of stability and international cooperation over fishing rights?

Do you have any proof that this would end a decades-long period of stability and international cooperation? That didn't happen when the British claimed land in 1917, when New Zealand did in 1923, France in 1956, Australia in 1933, Chile in 1961, Norway in 1939, or Argentina in 1904 (bolded are most recent). Why would it happen with us?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 07:40:55 AM »

I'm fairly torn on this. I'm going to have to re-read through this again before I make a decision.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies