Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 01:53:08 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  Petition for Dave to give us Mods deletion powers on all boards
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Petition for Dave to give us Mods deletion powers on all boards  (Read 1524 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -6.09

P P P

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2012, 07:40:33 am »
Ignore

... not just on the ones we are currently moderating.

To control and delete the crap postings of all the recent trolls.

[X] Tender Branson
Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 07:53:50 am »
Ignore

I don't really care.  But if you ever read the mod board, you'd realize that starting a petition like this is useless, since Dave never reads these.  Whereas convincing Nym to support this, and then having him email Dave to ask for it would at least give you a nonzero chance of it happening........though maybe that won't work either, since I don't think Dave has been responding to Nym's emails recently.  I think Dave has finally abandoned us, and the forum is on a slow glide towards death from entropy.

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 11:54:34 am »
Ignore

I don't really care.  But if you ever read the mod board, you'd realize that starting a petition like this is useless, since Dave never reads these.  Whereas convincing Nym to support this, and then having him email Dave to ask for it would at least give you a nonzero chance of it happening........though maybe that won't work either, since I don't think Dave has been responding to Nym's emails recently.  I think Dave has finally abandoned us, and the forum is on a slow glide towards death from entropy.

Are some of the mods AWOL for considerable periods of time?  Dave I think should just turn over the keys over to Nym until such time as Dave regains interest in his own forum. But that probably ain't happening either. Sad

Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 12:48:55 pm »
Ignore

Are some of the mods AWOL for considerable periods of time?

Emsworth is still one of the two moderators of the Constitution & Law board, and he hasn't posted anything since 2008!  That's the most extreme example.  Mods have tried to resign many times in the past, with Dave not doing anything about it for months and months.  In Sam Spade's case, how long did it take?  A year?

The most successful strategy for resigning as a mod is to have a replacement mod in mind who's willing to do it, and have Nym email Dave on your behalf to ask for you to be replaced by the guy in question.  That at least used to work, since Dave was more likely to respond to Nym's messages, but even Nym hasn't really been able to get his attention lately, so it's possible that there will be no mod changes in the future.....ever.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 12:55:41 pm »
Ignore

Are some of the mods AWOL for considerable periods of time?

Emsworth is still one of the two moderators of the Constitution & Law board, and he hasn't posted anything since 2008!  That's the most extreme example.  Mods have tried to resign many times in the past, with Dave not doing anything about it for months and months.  In Sam Spade's case, how long did it take?  A year?

The most successful strategy for resigning as a mod is to have a replacement mod in mind who's willing to do it, and have Nym email Dave on your behalf to ask for you to be replaced by the guy in question.  That at least used to work, since Dave was more likely to respond to Nym's messages, but even Nym hasn't really been able to get his attention lately, so it's possible that there will be no mod changes in the future.....ever.

I have bolded the word that, as we both know, needed to be emphasized. Tongue

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 02:11:37 pm »
Ignore

Back in the forum's early days, Dave actually took part in the political debates on a semi-regular basis, correct?

Anyway, he hasn't even been online since August 3rd.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:15:04 pm by Mitt Montgomery Burns »Logged
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 08:17:47 pm »
Ignore

Back in the forum's early days, Dave actually took part in the political debates on a semi-regular basis, correct?

no

in a mirror, dimly lit
Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 11:49:07 am »
Ignore

I have the ability to mod any board, so please send me such requests directly.

I have emailed Dave several times regarding changes to the mod team (specifically adding Torie), and said requests have unfortunately not been acknowledged with any response or action.

I missed my chance to get Emsworth removed as a mod when I asked Dave to remove him, he responded to me that he needed clarification as to which boards he was a mod of, I responded back specifying which board, and then no further response was received nor action taken.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 12:16:20 pm »
Ignore

May we subjects object to this power grab?

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 04:52:37 pm »
Ignore

It'd be good for spam attacks, but we can deal with those pretty effectively already.
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 05:35:08 pm »
Ignore

why is the Torie addition necessary/desirable?

in a mirror, dimly lit
Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 05:59:47 pm »
Ignore

why is the Torie addition necessary/desirable?

Alcon doesn't have that much time to moderate Individual Politics (or anything else) anymore, and Lunar is gone.  None of the existing mods was eager to take on more responsibility, but Torie said he'd help out if we needed him.

Aside from that, Torie would be a good voice to be added to internal discussions on the mod board.

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 10:29:49 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, Individual Politics needs an active moderator.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 02:29:10 pm »
Ignore

how about one of 'us'?  opebo?  perhaps Gully Foyle if we're to move towards the center?

in a mirror, dimly lit
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 03:14:06 pm »
Ignore

Is it foolish of me to actually want to be a mod?

i like girls but there is NOTHING better then a sexi hott dude
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -8.96

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 05:39:07 pm »
Ignore

Depends. Is it an overwhelming need to be a mod, or is it more a "Oh, well, if MasterJedi/Gustaf is retiring then I'd be interesting in taking over that job, but I wouldn't want to moderate, say, Economics or Political Geography" sort of sense?

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 06:03:28 pm »
Ignore

Depends. Is it an overwhelming need to be a mod, or is it more a "Oh, well, if MasterJedi/Gustaf is retiring then I'd be interesting in taking over that job, but I wouldn't want to moderate, say, Economics or Political Geography" sort of sense?

The latter. I don't feel a need to be a mod, but I feel like it would be cool to do something.

Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 06:35:06 pm »
Ignore

The latter. I don't feel a need to be a mod, but I feel like it would be cool to do something.

I promise you, the life isn't very glamorous. You find that when you do the right thing, people will get angry at you.

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 07:06:32 pm »
Ignore

I promise you, the life isn't very glamorous. You find that when you do the right thing, people will get angry at you.

I'm a Republican, I know that very well.

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 09:00:44 pm »
Ignore

how about one of 'us'?  opebo?  perhaps Gully Foyle if we're to move towards the center?

No, we're looking for someone on the right for balance.  No real room for a left winger on the mod team.

Consider Torie an affirmative action pick.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 09:15:49 am »
Ignore

how about one of 'us'?  opebo?  perhaps Gully Foyle if we're to move towards the center?

No, we're looking for someone on the right for balance.  No real room for a left winger on the mod team.

Consider Torie an affirmative action pick.

I wasn't using 'move to the center' in a geopolitical sense, but an Atlasian sense; where the entrenched Mods are on the conservative right, and the thorns in their side on the left.

in a mirror, dimly lit
Grumpy Old Fart
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 09:23:52 am »
Ignore

Torie will do a marvelous job, as long as you don't put down testosterone, browns, pot, or sex on his board.....or if you're a fat, you'll get automatic death points Smiley

And let's be honest, Obama could take a selfie of his junk in the bathroom mirror with his BlackBerry, have it transferred to canvas and you'd have people saying it ought to be hung in the National Gallery.

tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 09:44:09 am »
Ignore

Torie will do a marvelous job, as long as you don't put down testosterone, browns, pot, or sex on his board.....or if you're a fat, you'll get automatic death points Smiley

why are you speaking as if this move has already occurred?

in a mirror, dimly lit
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 09:59:30 am »
Ignore

why are you speaking as if this move has already occurred?

It will the next time Dave logs in...which may be in 2013, but whatever.

tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 11:10:39 am »
Ignore

he just logged in and didn't do it, ha.

in a mirror, dimly lit
Pages: [1] 2 Print