Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 12:37:19 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Economics (Moderator: ag)
| | |-+  Job Openings In The U.S. Climb To Highest Level In Four Years
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Job Openings In The U.S. Climb To Highest Level In Four Years  (Read 807 times)
Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:04:22 am »
Ignore

Job openings in the U.S. rose in June to the highest level in four years, foreshadowing more consistent employment gains in the second half of the year.

The number of positions waiting to be filled climbed by 105,000 to 3.76 million, the most since July 2008, from a revised 3.66 million the prior month, the Labor Department said today in Washington. Hiring and firings cooled.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-07/job-openings-in-the-u-s-increased-in-june-hiring-dropped.html

Openings are up about 16% since this time last year.

realisticidealist
YaBB God
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 01:13:15 pm »
Ignore

Good news. Smiley

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 07:27:22 pm »
Ignore

Very good news.  This should give people the confidence to get back up and start looking for jobs again.
I Can't Believe It's Not Murder!
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 02:03:19 pm »
Ignore

Best in four years? Where were they then?

Effective policing requires to know when backing down is in the best interest of public safety.  By all accounts, the culture of the Ferguson Police was ignorant of that fact, and instead treated Cartman of South Park as a role model for how to be a police officer.
Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 04:16:06 pm »
Ignore

And I'm still unemployed.

Your Atlas experience will be 100x better if you turn signatures off. Trust me.
Nagas
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -7.65

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 04:34:32 pm »
Ignore

There has been a plethora of job openings since the end of the recession. The issue is that they're either undesirable (such as trucking jobs) or most people aren't qualified for the positions.

Angry_Weasel
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 06:07:45 pm »
Ignore

Or Nursing jobs or stuff like that. People gotta get back to school though many people either don't have the energy or concentration to do it. I'm going back for Engineering, for example and about half the class failed the Differential Equations class. I did alright, thank goodness.

Effective policing requires to know when backing down is in the best interest of public safety.  By all accounts, the culture of the Ferguson Police was ignorant of that fact, and instead treated Cartman of South Park as a role model for how to be a police officer.
Politico
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 08:17:12 pm »
Ignore

Precisely.

"Hey, guys, we're seeing job openings at the same level as seven months into the recession. This is GREAT news!"

Take off the partisan blinders. Job growth isn't even keeping pace with population growth. This cannot continue, let alone be tolerated.

The stimulus stimulated Washington, DC, and the (D)rug addicts of the Beltway are ready for their next fix. Unfortunately for them, China is not interested in feeding their bad habit forever.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:18:54 pm by Politico »Logged

"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."

- Bastiat
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 08:17:59 pm »
Ignore

What was the Unemployment rate then?

Politico
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 08:20:04 pm »
Ignore

What was the Unemployment rate then?

When you adjust for discouraged workers accumulated over the past four years, I suspect the unemployment rate is relatively higher today than it was in July 2008.

Of course, you're more than welcome to step foot in the local Salvation Army and ask them if this is a "recovery." The out-of-touch Washington bureaucrats might return to the real world if they did such a thing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:23:05 pm by Politico »Logged

"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."

- Bastiat
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 08:40:59 pm »
Ignore

and they are just looking for a shovel and a bindle full of dreams, right? I mean, it would be really great if we lived in a place where I could just pick up a shovel, save up and make a living...but it just doesn't work that way.

shua
YaBB God
Kuwait

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 10:12:01 pm »
Ignore

There has been a plethora of job openings since the end of the recession. The issue is that they're either undesirable (such as trucking jobs) or most people aren't qualified for the positions.

or they are in other parts of the country from where the people who are most desperate for work are.

Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 11:35:15 pm »
Ignore

About 3.75 million.

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/JTS00000000JOL

It's a long climb back...

Angry_Weasel
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 08:34:36 am »
Ignore

Looks like were almost there, though.

bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 10:23:58 am »
Ignore

But now there are a lot more people competing for those jobs...

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 05:04:18 pm »
Ignore

Or Nursing jobs or stuff like that. People gotta get back to school though many people either don't have the energy or concentration to do it.

Isn't it more to the point that they don't have the money?

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Holmes
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 05:20:06 pm »
Ignore

most people aren't qualified for the positions.

What an excellent reason for the government to give more incentives and scholarships for people to go to school and become qualified. Smiley Hell, I'd be all for the government footing the bill for post-secondary education, but that's really never gonna happen now, is it?

Angry_Weasel
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 09:26:24 pm »
Ignore

I mean, has our population really grown that much in four years?

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 07:08:42 am »
Ignore

In fact, even if it has, this has more than been offset by the generational phenomenon of Baby-boomers leaving the workforce through retirement or death, as well as the return home of many illegal aliens (combined with less arrivals).

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Angry_Weasel
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 12:09:42 pm »
Ignore

In fact, even if it has, this has more than been offset by the generational phenomenon of Baby-boomers leaving the workforce through retirement or death, as well as the return home of many illegal aliens (combined with less arrivals).

So, with Babyboomers retiring, we should be in good shape even with an average amount of openings for now. Though, because they are retiring, they won't be buying any more fast cars or barbeques.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout