DC Area/Heart+Mind Strategies: Obama leads in DC and MD suburbs, tied in NoVa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:51:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  DC Area/Heart+Mind Strategies: Obama leads in DC and MD suburbs, tied in NoVa
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: DC Area/Heart+Mind Strategies: Obama leads in DC and MD suburbs, tied in NoVa  (Read 2349 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »

Or in another words, she doesn't know and just knows what she is told.

What were the NOVA results in 2008?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 04:16:59 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2012, 04:19:13 PM by Senator Sbane »

Excluding the cities it was 56.7-43.3 Obama. Excluding Arlington County as well it was 55.5-45.5. And including all the cities it was 57.6-42.4. So anyway you cut it, this is a bad poll for Obama.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »

I emailed the author of the story for a clarification, specifically asking if Alexndria, Fredericksburg, etc. had been polled. She repeated the list of counties, and said "Those are the designated areas we are told where the polling took place."

So, she's basically saying the pollster sent her a list of those, and refusing to make any further inference.  I think this is a case where you need to contact the pollster directly.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 06:49:11 PM »

Excluding the cities it was 56.7-43.3 Obama. Excluding Arlington County as well it was 55.5-45.5. And including all the cities it was 57.6-42.4. So anyway you cut it, this is a bad poll for Obama.

So is Romney losing massive ground in SW VA or something? Otherwise the numbers wouldn't make sense with where we know VA to be at right now (Obama by 3-5).
Craigo
Rookie
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 06:59:42 PM »

I emailed the author of the story for a clarification, specifically asking if Alexndria, Fredericksburg, etc. had been polled. She repeated the list of counties, and said "Those are the designated areas we are told where the polling took place."

So, she's basically saying the pollster sent her a list of those, and refusing to make any further inference.  I think this is a case where you need to contact the pollster directly.

I sent them the same email just now, but the public email address is undeliverable. It's after business hours, so I can't call.

But needless to say my confidence in this firm is not increased.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 07:08:11 PM »

I sent them the same email just now, but the public email address is undeliverable. It's after business hours, so I can't call.

But needless to say my confidence in this firm is not increased.

Hmm, thanks for the legwork on this!  Bizarre all-around
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »

Junk poll from a junk firm.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 09:52:45 PM »

So is Romney losing massive ground in SW VA or something? Otherwise the numbers wouldn't make sense with where we know VA to be at right now (Obama by 3-5).

I think it's safe to just assume this isn't a very good poll and these are probably not very good numbers. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Mitt Romney gets fewer votes out of SW VA than McCain did. Really Romney should be doing better than McCain in NoVA, so the fact that Obama hasn't lost that much of his 2008 margin in the state means he's making up ground somewhere else.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 10:37:49 AM »

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Mitt Romney gets fewer votes out of SW VA than McCain did. Really Romney should be doing better than McCain in NoVA, so the fact that Obama hasn't lost that much of his 2008 margin in the state means he's making up ground somewhere else.

Obviously we don't really know regional details like this at this point, but it wouldn't surprise me if Obama is outperforming 2008 in Hampton Roads. Romney is a much worse candidate for the military community there than McCain, and Obama is probably a better candidate for them now than in 2008. The  first of these is kind of true for rural VA, but the second isn't.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 01:02:06 PM »

The areas that they did clearly poll still should have Obama a good lead.  The sample size is, however, low.

If it is actually an accurate poll, Obama is trouble in VA, but I do question if it is accurate.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies