Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 03, 2014, 02:05:38 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Was Romney's Overseas Trip = Dukakis in the Tank?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Was Romney's Overseas Trip = Dukakis in the Tank?  (Read 438 times)
retromike22
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2012, 07:01:11 pm »
Ignore

But instead of being visual, it was more verbal?

I wrote and directed my own movie. It's about an intern, a doctor, a mayor, a cross dressing prostitute, farmers, aliens, and zombies:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=181696.0
Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:09:42 pm »
Ignore

No, because visual is more damaging.

Goodbye
timothyinMD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:13:50 pm »
Ignore

No, it was a great trip
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 07:36:13 pm »
Ignore

The importance of the Dukakis riding the tank is easy to overemphasize, and we interpret that moment as we do because Dukakis lost. In retrospect, it's easy to inflate the importance of a photo or soundbite because it's a pithy representation of the entirety of our thoughts about a campaign.

Anyway, with regard to Romney's trip: Of course voters don't care about what happened, but the political press does, and that's going to effect how everyone discusses this campaign.

Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 07:39:19 pm »
Ignore

Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 07:47:16 pm »
Ignore

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 09:25:53 pm »
Ignore

No, it was a great trip

mondale84
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 09:41:24 pm »
Ignore

No, it was a great trip

Obvious troll is obvious.

"There are no men like me. There's only me."
patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 09:44:52 pm »
Ignore

Anyway, with regard to Romney's trip: Of course voters don't care about what happened, but the political press does, and that's going to effect how everyone discusses this campaign.

Good point. The media does have a way of planting seeds in people's mind and it affects campaign. I was at a party the other week and everyone refused to believe me that Palin never actually said, I can see Russia from my house.  On this trip Romney did not build his CV in foreign policy with the media or with your average swing voter.
pbrower2a
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 10:50:57 pm »
Ignore

The "Comical Ali" character exemplifies boundless but unjustifiable optimism in the service of a lost cause.

Political campaigns rarely admit defeat until the concession speech, and that, alas, is all to often the finest speech that a politician ever gives.

Mike Dukakis was vulnerable to his personal image. If you were in Central Casting for "Godfather IV", Mike Dukakis would have looked the part of a gangster. He looked  more like a loan shark than like a statesman. George H. W. Bush had no such problem. Remember also that in a close race, looks can decide much. John Kennedy was photogenic, and Richard Nixon was ugly.

Mitt Romney has no problem with his appearance. His words trip him up. In a contest with one of the most eloquent politicians that America has ever known, that can make all the difference among swing voters.

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49
GLPman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 12:00:18 am »
Ignore

...Seriously? The trip wasn't "great," but it certainly wasn't comparable to Dukakis in the tank.

Jo March Bhaer
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 08:40:21 am »
Ignore

No, but maybe on the foreign policy front.

Quote from: Dwight D. Eisenhower
There is nothing wrong with America that the faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.

Mark Schauer's biggest supporter:
stegosaurus
YaBB God
United States

P P
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 09:43:56 am »
Ignore

Romney had a bad round in London, and then went on to have two positive visits in Poland and Israel. 2/3 isn't terrible.

liberty or death.
Likely Voter
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 10:15:24 am »
Ignore

...Seriously? The trip wasn't "great," but it certainly wasn't comparable to Dukakis in the tank.

Exactly. The main damage from the trip is that it was a lost opportunity for Romney to change the narrative and make himself look more presidential. So the damage was it didn't give him a boost, but it probably didn't hurt him. He will have more chances for a boost, most notably VP choice, then RNC, then Debate #1.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout