Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 08:26:31 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  EnvironmentInterpol Puts Red Notice on Sea Shepherd Leader Watson
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EnvironmentInterpol Puts Red Notice on Sea Shepherd Leader Watson  (Read 271 times)
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2012, 05:09:52 am »
Ignore

link
Interpol has issued a Red Notice seeking the arrest of the head of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, Paul Watson, with Costa Rican authorities accuse him of violating maritime law, according to a statement published on the Interpol website on Tuesday.

A Canadian citizen, Watson was arrested in Germany in May, and subsequently released on bail of 250,000 euros. After the German court decided to hand Watson, 61, over to Costa Rica he skipped bail and fled the country.

“The Red Notice request is based on a national arrest warrant issued by Costa Rican authorities for Mr Watson, who is wanted for prosecution in relation to a charge of ‘causing a danger of drowning or of an air disaster’ in connection with an incident in April 2002,” the statement reads.

In 2002 while filming a documentary in Guatemalan territorial waters activists of the vessel Sea Shepherd ran into the Costa Rican ship Varadero which was engaged in illegally hunting sharks. Environmentalists urged the crew to stop their actions and return to a port in Costa Rica.

After some time, the Guatemala Coast Guard sent a boat to intercept the Sea Shepherd but the environmentalists managed to escape. Later, the crew members of Varadero accused the activists of allegedly threatening to kill the sailors.

<snip>
The charges seem kinda lame, but the guy's an asshole and a danger to the monkeys that follow him like a god.

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
Hatman
EarlAW
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.97, S: -6.00

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:04:43 am »
Ignore

FF. A true national hero.

http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.com

Follow me on Twitter @EarlWashburn
Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:13:57 am »
Ignore

Horrible person doing good work.

Speaker Dereich
Dereich
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:23:16 am »
Ignore

Horrible person doing horrible work. Hopefully he gets caught soon and nobody picks up his mantle.
Iron King SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 09:57:55 am »
Ignore

Horrible person doing horrible work. Hopefully he gets caught soon and nobody picks up his mantle.

Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 09:59:43 am »
Ignore

Horrible person doing good work.

Ya - and certainly put more succinctly than I would have managed.

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 10:15:47 am »
Ignore

You guys do know that the whalers are not on the verge of wiping out any whale species right?  I mean, I can understand if you get this upset over any meat being slaughtered, I don't agree, but at least you are consistent and have an understandable position...but if you eat meat and support this guy*, you're an asshole.  Check that, you may or may not be asshole, but you certainly are ignorant.

Ok, maybe you have an issue with the intelligence of the creatures.  Again, that's an understandable position...but I hope you don't enjoy bacon or ham.

*actually, anybody that supports this guy is an asshole.  Supporting the anti-whaling cause is understandable, as long as you don't do any of the hypocritical things mentioned above.

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 10:38:12 am »
Ignore

Here's a better way: Horrible person doing horrible things for a good cause.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.  So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.-Jack Layton 1950-2011
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on-John F. Kennedy 1917-1963
Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 12:57:11 pm »
Ignore

I don't eat pig, dolphin,or ape, whale, or human or dog, or any animal that is aware of death before it is butchered, but that's irrelevant.

From an Australian perspective, the Sea Shepherd are doing what our navy can't and keeping the Japanese from illegally whaling in the southern whale sanctuary. The public sentiment in Australia on this issue is incredibly anti-Japanese, as it should be, and the only people actually trying to do anything about the Japanese lies and slaughter are people like Watson, who normally you wouldn't waste your spit on.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout