How would you have voted: Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish and London elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:24:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How would you have voted: Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish and London elections (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would you have voted: Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish and London elections  (Read 2056 times)
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« on: May 02, 2016, 04:55:15 PM »

no one would vote plaid in their constituency and the tories on the list; since in the vast majority of seats Plaid don't really have a chance to win them (they do better in Welsh elections slightly, but they are still miles behind); I'm pretty sure that they retain most of their constituency voters on the list and any leakers are going to the Greens or other parties of the left.

Scottish Parliament (all the devolved institutions list my constituency vote first then the list one):

1999 - Labour/Green
2003 - Labour/Green
2007 - SNP/Green
2011 - SNP/Green
2016 - SNP or Labour, still deciding/Green

I might have voted SSP in 1999 or 2003, before Sheridan made a total fool of himself and ruined the left in Scotland for a generation.  Definitely Greens after that though, especially since Pat Harvie became co-chair because he's grand.  In seats where the Tories are challenging a vote for their primary opposition might be a possibility - now that's mostly SNP, but I'd have voted Labour in Eastwood every election before 2011 for example. 

Welsh Assembly:

1999 - Plaid/Plaid
2003 - Labour/Labour
2007 - Labour/Labour, maybe Plaid or Green
2011 - Labour/Green
2016 - Labour/Plaid

All those constituency votes would include tactical anti-Tory votes where appropriate.  Some of those switches might seem a little odd, 2007 is one that I can't really tell.  Going from Plaid to Labour between 99 and 2003 is something that lots of people did, mostly people who always traditionally voted Labour.  Also the Greens vote in 2011 might also be a Plaid vote, I dunno; its hard to think about things like this. 

NI Assembly:

No need for years for this one; I don't think I'd ever change.  Probably giving reluctant first preferences to the SDLP, and then referencing the Alliance, other vaguely progressive voices in NI maybe including some Sinners (and for balance I'd have preferenced David Ervine and Dawn Purvice of the PUP and probably NI21 for what its worth, although definately not the PUP now.  Maybe in the past I'd chuck a lower preference to the UUP to keep out the DUP but honestly that doesn't matter anymore.  If Labour decide to start standing candidates in NI, then they'd easily get my first preference.  If I was actually born in Northern Ireland; I'd probably be a big Sinn Fein person, or a frustrated unionist voting for the Alliance while wanting UK Labour to stand candidates

London Mayoral Election: First vote is first preference, after that second preference

2000 - Ken (Independent)/Dobson (Labour)
2004 - Darren Johnson (Green)/Ken (Labour)
2008 - Sian Berry (Green)/Ken (Labour)
2012 - Jenny Jones (Green)/Ken (Labour)
2016 - Sian Berry (Green)/Sadiq Khan (Labour)

2004 is the one that I'm a little unsure of, I might have been a Lib Dem protest voter at the time but I could never see myself voting for Simon Hughes, and the Greens are the next best thing.  Although I suppose this was slightly before Respect totally became a Galloway personality cult, I might have gone that way instead, who knows!  The Assembly Voting system is very dumb, I don't know why they didn't go for proper AV instead of the only two preferences rubbish.

London Assembly:

2000 - Labour/Green
2004 - Labour/Green
2008 - Labour/Green
2012 - Labour/Green
2016 - Labour/Green

In safer inner London seats I'd probably throw my vote to a Green candidate just to help them get their deposit back.  I'm pretty sure that there was never any Lib Dem/Tory Assembly constituency seats, if there were then an anti-Tory tactical vote pre-2010 would also be possible.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies