Controversial Tennessee mosque to open (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:53:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Controversial Tennessee mosque to open (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Controversial Tennessee mosque to open  (Read 3743 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 10, 2012, 11:55:22 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/aug/10/after-long-fight-opening-day-for-tenn-mosque/
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 07:45:43 PM »

What was the controversy? I can't seem to get a grasp on that.

That it was being opened at all. Because, you know, Muslims.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:59:12 PM »

In fairness to PP, isn't it safe to say that Nashville is a particularly cosmopolitan city (culturally at least) compared to most of Tennessee, or even the entire South?

But again, the Ground Zero Mosque experience shows that buttheads are everywhere.

I definately wouldn't call Nashville cosmopolitan, but it is an actual city, which puts it somewhat ahead of most of the South. It votes moderately Democratic only because it's the rare Upper South city with a decent sized black population. It's the headquarters for country music, the Southern Baptists, and the Tennessee state government, all bastions of liberalism Tongue You can imagine how the suburbs are there. If you're looking for a Southern city with a more metropolitan feel, I'd recommend Raleigh, Charlotte, or Atlanta. And FWIW, Downtown Chattanooga easily has the best "going out" scene in the state.

Re: country music...

I get the impression that the younger, more alt-country artists in Nashville (and elsewhere, for that matter) are a lot more left-wing than the corporate acts, in general. Also, isn't Nashville now home to a lot of musicians, of many different genres?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies