Controversial Tennessee mosque to open (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:39:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Controversial Tennessee mosque to open (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Controversial Tennessee mosque to open  (Read 3796 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« on: August 11, 2012, 10:47:54 PM »

I think the answer for that question would be "toil".
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 01:24:45 AM »

The South can't be more diverse until more diverse groups of people move in.

Which is happening, just more slowly than other parts of the country. Hispanics are moving to various parts of Georgia and South Carolina, for example, and are already the largest minority group in eastern Tennessee, western North Carolina, northeast Arkansas, and northern Alabama.
I thought Eastern TN was a pretty white and slightly black place when I lived there, haven't seen that many Hispanics. I lived near Knoxville btw, maybe there are more near Chattanooga?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »

Why do Muslims bother to live in a place like Tennessee anyways? Or for that matter anywhere in the US?

Yeah that's what I'm wondering. Why on earth would a Muslim want to go to Tennnessee, instead of a more diverse place?

Why do we need to ask questions like this? It's their right and they deserve to practice it without question.

-sincerely, a minority who lives in north Idaho.

Well, sure, you have every right to live wherever you want, but I'm just perplexed by the inclination to live in specific areas that are, well, less accommodating to minorities, to be polite. It's like a socially liberal Christian living in Saudi Arabia.
Yes. Suburban Nashville is exactly like Saudi Arabia. Roll Eyes

I'm just digging myself into a deeper hole, aren't I? What I'm trying to say is that it's surprising and odd to me to think of a religious minority group living in Tennnessee, when there's places across the US that seem as if they'd be more welcoming.
I would guess "toil".
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 09:29:38 PM »

I honestly wouldn't be opposed to the South seceding.  For one thing, I don't buy the "common American identity" thing, when the most left-wing Southerner is probably still not very leftist.
I am sure there some pretty left-wing southerners.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies