Controversial Tennessee mosque to open (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:49:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Controversial Tennessee mosque to open (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Controversial Tennessee mosque to open  (Read 3750 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 11, 2012, 12:29:32 AM »

Why do Muslims bother to live in a place like Tennessee anyways? Or for that matter anywhere in the US?

Yeah that's what I'm wondering. Why on earth would a Muslim want to go to Tennnessee, instead of a more diverse place?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 12:11:18 PM »

Why do Muslims bother to live in a place like Tennessee anyways? Or for that matter anywhere in the US?

Yeah that's what I'm wondering. Why on earth would a Muslim want to go to Tennnessee, instead of a more diverse place?

Why do we need to ask questions like this? It's their right and they deserve to practice it without question.

-sincerely, a minority who lives in north Idaho.

Well, sure, you have every right to live wherever you want, but I'm just perplexed by the inclination to live in specific areas that are, well, less accommodating to minorities, to be polite. It's like a socially liberal Christian living in Saudi Arabia.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »

Why do we need to ask questions like this? It's their right and they deserve to practice it without question.

-sincerely, a minority who lives in north Idaho.

Well, sure, you have every right to live wherever you want, but I'm just perplexed by the inclination to live in specific areas that are, well, less accommodating to minorities, to be polite. It's like a socially liberal Christian living in Saudi Arabia.
Yes. Suburban Nashville is exactly like Saudi Arabia. Roll Eyes

I'm just digging myself into a deeper hole, aren't I? What I'm trying to say is that it's surprising and odd to me to think of a religious minority group living in Tennnessee, when there's places across the US that seem as if they'd be more welcoming.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:34:36 AM »

Oh fine, I admit it; it is because of my stereotypical mental image of Tennessee as rednecks that it seemed odd that Muslims would live there, and I have been wrong to think about that stereotype as truth. Happy?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies