SENATE BILL: Jobs Now Act of 2012 (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:33:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Jobs Now Act of 2012 (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Jobs Now Act of 2012 (Law'd)  (Read 5201 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: August 13, 2012, 07:49:21 PM »

Does anyone know how much money in the energy budget goes to subsidies for renewable energy sources (such as solar panels) and to scientific research?  I'm thinking about adding a section to the bill that transfers funds from subsidies to energy research, since excessive spending on solar subsidies tends to actually raise costs instead of reduce them.  I'd appreciate some input from Yankee or shua on this idea.

EDIT: We also might want to look into reducing or eliminating oil subsidies if those are on our books, too.

The main renewable energy spending is the Go Green Fund, which is $50 Billion spent over four years in grants and loans. https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Atlasian_Green_Jobs_Act

There are also tax credits, which are based on some legislation passed by the Atlasian Senate which I can't find at the moment, but the first is for companies converting to renewable energy and the second is for research
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not aware of any subsidies that go specifically to oil companies.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 12:37:59 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2012, 12:45:29 AM by shua, gm »

Are tax credits basically the same thing as subsidies?
They can be considered so - it's a common way to subsidize something without spending money on it directly. Still, it depends on who you ask.  They encourage spending on something that might otherwise not be made - but there has to be enough of a market for it that the consumer finds it valuable in itself, since the tax credit usually doesn't cover the entire cost.

The clean energy tax credits produce a modest amount of demand for clean energy. The effect of price increasing from greater demand is going to be balanced out to some extent by the greater economies of scale that reduce production cost. Combined with some of the grants in the Go Green Fund it may have an effect on raising prices, but nowhere approaching what has happened in Germany.  The major difference here is that there is an investment in a variety of clean energy (at least, that's the plan), and not a huge amount given to a single technology.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »

Why are they state-owned banks rather than regionally?
Is 5.1 a blank check from the federal government to the regions? 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 12:06:57 AM »

Working hours in Atlasia are already quite low due to policies such as The Productivity Equalization and Worker Employment Act.  What is considered overtime is much less than the average working hours in Germany (42 hours).  I'm trying to think how this bill will interact with that.  Will there be little effect because employers are already giving their employees so few hours?  I guess it could help a few people anyway.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 11:56:20 PM »

What are you trying to restrict here?  I think for the most part any employer and employee aren't going to agree to this unless to avoid layoffs.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 02:52:13 AM »

What are you trying to restrict here?  I think for the most part any employer and employee aren't going to agree to this unless to avoid layoffs.

The idea is to somehow restrict businesses from lying their way into cutting their employees' pay or work hours at the expense of the taxpayers.  I'm still trying to think of a way to prevent this system from being abused.

Why would they have to lie?   Isn't allowing employers to cut pay or work hours without greatly harming their employees the whole point of this?   In fact, that's already the major employment policy in Atlasia as it stands: to encourage businesses to cut employees work hours in order to try to make them hire more workers.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 07:57:43 PM »

I need to check some resources of mine that I have first. I would like to know what shua thinks. First about the idea in general then how best to implement it.
If a company is experiencing a 17% or more revenue loss, you are still likely going to see layoffs even if they go through with this program.  But it could help.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies