Romney picks Paul Ryan as his running mate **official thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:14:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney picks Paul Ryan as his running mate **official thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: Romney picks Paul Ryan as his running mate **official thread**  (Read 20090 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2012, 10:14:47 AM »

Did I not predict that Mutt Rhymney's running mate would be a 'sociopath in a bad suit'? I believe that I did. All hail my predicterating skills of brilliance and skillfulness.

Would you not have said that of any male Republican running mate Romney would pick?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2012, 10:17:21 AM »

The GOP WILL NOT GET MY VOTE. YOU MUST HAVE AN EVANGELICAL CHRISTIAN ON THE TICKET!!!!!!!Thanks for flipping us evangelicals off GOP
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »

First, in terms of Electoral Votes, this has been the best Republican pick since 1980.  That is not saying much.  There were better VP candidates strictly in terms of maximizing Electoral Votes.  

In terms of overall picks, it is better than the Democratic picks in 1984, 1988, and about the same as 1992, 2004, and even 1976.  It is not a bad pick, but not a stellar one, in general terms.

Second, it does solidify the right behind Romney, so I would not be worried about the base.  

Third, it does hit Obama on the worse aspect of his presidency, the economy.  Ryan helps make this campaign about the economy.  

In this regard, the Reagan question, "Are you better off than you were four years ago," comes into play.  Possibly excepting 2000, since 1976 the party in the White House that could answer yes has retained the presidency.

The drift to a more free market stand, with Ryan being a fan of Atlas Shrugged, could signal a realignment, if it is successful.

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, it's a repeat of McCain.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2012, 10:21:32 AM »

The GOP WILL NOT GET MY VOTE. YOU MUST HAVE AN EVANGELICAL CHRISTIAN ON THE TICKET!!!!!!!Thanks for flipping us evangelicals off GOP

Seriously, is that all that matters to you?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2012, 10:25:32 AM »

When are you guys going to realize you are part of a whole, and not the whole affair yourself?

Plus, identity politics is so passe'.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2012, 10:26:07 AM »

No, it's a repeat of McCain.

No, not at all.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »

"Get in the back of the damn bus, strap in and shut up!'

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »

First, in terms of Electoral Votes, this has been the best Republican pick since 1980.  That is not saying much.  There were better VP candidates strictly in terms of maximizing Electoral Votes.  

Third, it does hit Obama on the worse aspect of his presidency, the economy.  Ryan helps make this campaign about the economy.  

1. Those EVs aren't swing states, and even then it's not clear if Romney/Ryan can win NH or WI.

2. No, he makes it about the Ryan plan.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2012, 10:30:08 AM »

True - McCain was prolife and supported traditional marriage.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2012, 10:31:12 AM »

This is a choice that allows Mitt to double down on the fiscal state of the nation. Much of his difficulty the last six weeks is that he's been losing the tug of war between personal popularity where Obama beats him to economic competence where Romney wins. My guess is that he's heard his advisers tell him to get back on message, and this is his pick to do so.

I had a chance to listen to one of those advisers this week and it's interesting to see how this pick figures into the electoral map. That adviser (who's also a major pollster) said that Romney's best path is to first take the McCain states, and this pick doesn't put any of those into jeopardy. The next step is to retake IN, NC and VA the historically GOP states that flipped in 2008. IN is a lock by most polls, and Ryan won't hurt in VA/NC and may help if he can reinforce a message of economic competence. There was a talk by a top Dem pollster as well and he didn't disagree with any of the main points of the GOP analysis.

The second pair of take backs on the map identified by GOP advisers are OH and FL. Ryan's Midwestern roots and college career at Miami of OH only add to the fix the economy message that OH voters put at the top of their list. Polling for FL shows Romney doing best with seniors in that state while losing the younger part of the electorate. FL is already getting hit by negative ads from both sides and adding those against Ryan may be lost in the noise. If Mitt keeps himself as the main face in FL, Ryan may not cut into his senior base.

If Romney gets the above states, he needs one more to top 270 EV. Ryan clearly helps in WI and IA, and may also help in NH and MI (which has a similar issue profile as OH). The other close western states could be substituted in this list, but the pick of Ryan seems to indicate that Romney is making his stand in the Midwest, so if states like NV or CO are wins that's just gravy. How he campaigns in FL becomes a critical piece now, since losing that state would require multiple other states to replace its EVs.

So basically it is the 3-2-1 (or raher 2-3-1 according to recent polling) strategy that we have been operating with for some time.

Trying to hide Paul Ryan from Florida isn't going to work. Sure it may get lost in the noise, but that is staking a lot on a weak hunch about negative advertising. I think the "safer" option in an already bold scenario is to stay bold and put Paul in with the old folks in Florida.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2012, 10:33:51 AM »

Picking Ryan puts alot of energy into the Romney campaign now, good choice!
pepper11
United States

« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2012, 10:46:21 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2012, 10:48:06 AM by pepper11 »

Excellent choice.

I don't see any reason he would hurt in Florida though.  The Ryan plan does not affect Medicare for anyone older than 55. If Democrats want to scare people about the plan, wouldn't the people who may be affected by the plan (less than 55) be the ones getting scared.

Unless they blatantly lie about it (which could be done to any VP candidate about anything, so that's not a weakness inherent to Ryan).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2012, 10:50:58 AM »

Did I not predict that Mutt Rhymney's running mate would be a 'sociopath in a bad suit'? I believe that I did. All hail my predicterating skills of brilliance and skillfulness.

Would you not have said that of any male Republican running mate Romney would pick?

Absolutely.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »

Absolutely.

What if he had picked a sociopath in a good suit?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2012, 10:54:46 AM »

Obama's InTrade numbers have ticked up a bit, he now has a bout a 20% lead (around 58-38)
pepper11
United States

« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »

Obama's InTrade numbers have ticked up a bit, he now has a bout a 20% lead (around 58-38)

yesterday he was at 60..there hasn't been a change.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2012, 11:03:38 AM »

Muon2 of course sums it all up nicely, but the most compelling reason to pick Ryan is that Mittens endorsed the Ryan Plan, and Ryan can defend - or to put it more appositely - sell - the Ryan Plan far more effectively and compellingly than Mittens. Ryan ties the wonkish numbers bit with a passion about how while the medicine does not taste good, it is essential for your health, and that he really cares about your health, in a way Mittens is simply not capable of projecting.  In a word, Mittens is uptight - and Ryan isn't.

When you get tied at the hip to someone else's policy, and the guy who formulated the policy is a good salesman, you hire the salesman.  KISS.  
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #143 on: August 11, 2012, 11:27:52 AM »

Well, good for Romney. I don't know if he's going to win or not, but he needed a game changer, and this was the right way to do it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »

What if he had picked a sociopath in a good suit?

Then I would have had to radically readjust my mental image of American political life.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »

Anyone know what was the music they came on stage to today.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2012, 11:35:05 AM »

Well, good for Romney. I don't know if he's going to win or not, but he needed a game changer, and this was the right way to do it.

Ryan is more of the same.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2012, 11:42:45 AM »

Ryan is more of the same.

Yeah, there is absolutely no stretch of that phrase where I can think of this as some sort of "game changer." Paul Ryan has been the epitome of everything the Democrats have been (rightfully) accusing the Republicans of supporting since Obama took office.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2012, 11:45:02 AM »

Muon2 of course sums it all up nicely, but the most compelling reason to pick Ryan is that Mittens endorsed the Ryan Plan, and Ryan can defend - or to put it more appositely - sell - the Ryan Plan far more effectively and compellingly than Mittens. Ryan ties the wonkish numbers bit with a passion about how while the medicine does not taste good, it is essential for your health, and that he really cares about your health, in a way Mittens is simply not capable of projecting.  In a word, Mittens is uptight - and Ryan isn't.

When you get tied at the hip to someone else's policy, and the guy who formulated the policy is a good salesman, you hire the salesman.  KISS.  

Didn't you say Romney would have to be mad not to pick Portman?
pepper11
United States

« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2012, 11:46:31 AM »

Quick internet polls are usually a bit sill but i have NEVER EVER seen one at msnbc.com showing a favorable conservative / Republican result until today with 50+ vs 30+ saying Ryan is a good choice.  Between that and the unreal enthusiasm from the base, if I were a Democrat I am not sure I would be gleeful as some seem.  He will get attacked, but so would any other choice. Between his smarts and his happy warrior demenor, he won't get pigeonholed as a goon like Palin did.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies