Romney picks Paul Ryan as his running mate **official thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:42:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney picks Paul Ryan as his running mate **official thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: Romney picks Paul Ryan as his running mate **official thread**  (Read 20097 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2012, 04:31:13 PM »

Quick internet polls are usually a bit sill but i have NEVER EVER seen one at msnbc.com showing a favorable conservative / Republican result until today with 50+ vs 30+ saying Ryan is a good choice.  Between that and the unreal enthusiasm from the base, if I were a Democrat I am not sure I would be gleeful as some seem.  He will get attacked, but so would any other choice. Between his smarts and his happy warrior demenor, he won't get pigeonholed as a goon like Palin did.

A freeped internet poll? LOL!
pepper11
United States

« Reply #176 on: August 11, 2012, 04:38:35 PM »

Quick internet polls are usually a bit sill but i have NEVER EVER seen one at msnbc.com showing a favorable conservative / Republican result until today with 50+ vs 30+ saying Ryan is a good choice.  Between that and the unreal enthusiasm from the base, if I were a Democrat I am not sure I would be gleeful as some seem.  He will get attacked, but so would any other choice. Between his smarts and his happy warrior demenor, he won't get pigeonholed as a goon like Palin did.

So its pure chance that EVERY other poll on MSNBC has shown pro Dem consensus?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #177 on: August 11, 2012, 04:40:57 PM »

So its pure chance that EVERY other poll on MSNBC has shown pro Dem consensus?

Yes, because only people who seek out on MSNBC vote on most days.  On big breaking news like Paul Ryan, every website which syndicates MSNBC news sends readers to the poll.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #178 on: August 11, 2012, 04:41:23 PM »

The GOP WILL NOT GET MY VOTE. YOU MUST HAVE AN EVANGELICAL CHRISTIAN ON THE TICKET!!!!!!!Thanks for flipping us evangelicals off GOP
You would vote for Scott Walker but not Paul Ryan?  I never imagined (on the Republican side) that someone would pick a slight difference (in denomination only) that has nothing to do with public office and go crazy about it.

1.  I think Romney how has a much better shot at IA and WI, because of Ryan.  Possibly OH and NH as well.
Perhaps CO as well.  Ryan is perfect and practiced at selling his brand in "purple" territory.  

For aficionados of the "2012 is 1996" theory, isn't Paul Ryan kind of the Jack Kemp of his generation?
Indeed he is.

Ryan wrote Kemp's speeches and Kemp's "happy warrior" personality rubbed off on Ryan.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #179 on: August 11, 2012, 04:41:51 PM »

She'll be declaring as an independent on Monday no doubt, since it wasn't her who was picked.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #180 on: August 11, 2012, 04:48:38 PM »

The GOP WILL NOT GET MY VOTE. YOU MUST HAVE AN EVANGELICAL CHRISTIAN ON THE TICKET!!!!!!!Thanks for flipping us evangelicals off GOP

No sane person will cry over losing the fundie vote.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2012, 04:49:07 PM »

He's a policy wonk, he'll come off as too much of a smart alec to exactly the people he's meant to attract, especially when compared to Joe Biden in the VP debate. He's an intellectual Sarah Palin, except he won't be able to win the "folksy" vote, which is important.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »

He's a policy wonk, he'll come off as too much of a smart alec to exactly the people he's meant to attract, especially when compared to Joe Biden in the VP debate. He's an intellectual Sarah Palin, except he won't be able to win the "folksy" vote, which is important.

Oxymoron? Wink
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #183 on: August 11, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »

Oxymoron? Wink

That's exactly my point though
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #184 on: August 11, 2012, 04:54:27 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2012, 05:53:33 PM by Sen. Big DaddyTX »

I posted this earlier and it was deleted, are mods doing nazi-style censorship today? Should say that it was inspired by you in the IRC chat.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #185 on: August 11, 2012, 04:59:35 PM »

Oxymoron? Wink

That's exactly my point though

Oh.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2012, 05:19:07 PM »

Oh, and expect the White House to start stirring up some stuff abroad. Considering the precarious situation with Syria (although not just Syria), Romney best hope nothing comes up. Remember the Georgia/South Osetia thing in 2008?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #187 on: August 11, 2012, 06:19:57 PM »

Are you saying fundies aren't sane? I happen to be quite sane.

To those put off by my engaging in identity politics, many of you have no room to talk. I hate to say it but to some degree we all do it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2012, 06:24:29 PM »

To put it mildly, that's debatable.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #189 on: August 11, 2012, 06:32:15 PM »

To those put off by my engaging in identity politics, many of you have no room to talk. I hate to say it but to some degree we all do it.

Not really, my desired positions are so nuanced and intricate that to pick someone based on some trivial issue of image would be to sacrifice the greater game for the most part. To put it simply, I couldn't afford to engage in identity politics, even if I found it acceptable to engage in it.
Marston
United States

« Reply #190 on: August 11, 2012, 06:34:36 PM »

Ryan ties the wonkish numbers bit with a passion about how while the medicine does not taste good, it is essential for your health, and that he really cares about your health, in a way Mittens is simply not capable of projecting.  In a word, Mittens is uptight - and Ryan isn't.

When you get tied at the hip to someone else's policy, and the guy who formulated the policy is a good salesman, you hire the salesman.  KISS.  

What about when the product is a piece of crap?

Ryan's plan is just a massive cost-shifting scheme. I mean, it's obvious, isn't it?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2012, 06:38:43 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
\

You're going to be sad when Romney loses.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2012, 06:39:07 PM »

Yes, but these are politicians we are talking about.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2012, 06:47:59 PM »

Not my diagnosis.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #194 on: August 11, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2012, 06:50:15 PM by Torie »

Ryan ties the wonkish numbers bit with a passion about how while the medicine does not taste good, it is essential for your health, and that he really cares about your health, in a way Mittens is simply not capable of projecting.  In a word, Mittens is uptight - and Ryan isn't.

When you get tied at the hip to someone else's policy, and the guy who formulated the policy is a good salesman, you hire the salesman.  KISS.  

Ryan's plan is just a massive cost-shifting scheme. I mean, it's obvious, isn't it?

No, it is more complicated than that.  In the end, one ends up at the same place regarding how to deal with medical subsidies we cannot afford going forward, and/or go outside of/bust the budget. One approach is that you just by regulation set forth the basket of care the government will subsidize, and when, and trim the basket if you run out of money, or appropriate more money. In the Ryan plan, you set up a budget in advance of how much you get, which is the current cost of care increased by 3% a year or something. If the amount of the sums handed out turn out not to buy enough of a basket of services down the road, just like with the regulatory regime, either you hand out more government dough, or the basket shrinks.  Just what is the real economic difference, putting aside issues of efficiency, and price policing, and more choices, etc? The answer is - none, nada, nothing.

You see what I am saying Marston?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #195 on: August 11, 2012, 06:50:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
\

You're going to be sad when Romney loses.

Oh really? And upon what exactly do you base that analysis? I don't get emotionally attached to politics either, which is  the other detriment to our politics other then indentity politics.
Marston
United States

« Reply #196 on: August 11, 2012, 07:15:02 PM »

No, it is more complicated than that.  In the end, one ends up at the same place regarding how to deal with medical subsidies we cannot afford going forward, and/or go outside of/bust the budget. One approach is that you just by regulation set forth the basket of care the government will subsidize, and when, and trim the basket if you run out of money, or appropriate more money. In the Ryan plan, you set up a budget in advance of how much you get, which is the current cost of care increased by 3% a year or something. If the amount of the sums handed out turn out not to buy enough of a basket of services down the road, just like with the regulatory regime, either you hand out more government dough, or the basket shrinks.  Just what is the real economic difference, putting aside issues of efficiency, and price policing, and more choices, etc? The answer is - none, nada, nothing.

You see what I am saying Marston?

I don't think it is that complicated. Indexing the premium-support system to no more than half-a-percent above the growth rate of the economy when inflation for healthcare is rising so much faster than that... Well, I think it's pretty obvious what the end-result will be. Medicare coupon-thingy beneficiaries will be priced out of the system and the "basket of services" - as you call it - will shrink lest seniors pay more out-of-pocket. That's the whole cost-shifting thing I was talking about.

That kind of system give the feds a lot more leeway in saying to seniors that the problem lies with the private insurers who set the premiums and then the whole usual political game of hot potato takes place with the private insurers saying that the feds should appropriate more money to the premium-support vouchers and the feds saying that the insurers should lower/not increase premiums. And, as usual, in the end nothing gets done and people will suffer.

change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #197 on: August 11, 2012, 07:17:47 PM »

https://twitter.com/PaulRyanGosling

Just gonna leave this here.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #198 on: August 11, 2012, 07:24:33 PM »

Marston, let me be more blunt. Under Obamacare regulations medical services are going to be rationed to death as it were. The basket will shrink. There is no escape.

Having said the above, it would be interesting to see what folks think the cost ramp up for Obamacare will be over time, both per its official numbers (which have lost most if not all of their credibility), and what outside analysts say. Is it more than 3%? 
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #199 on: August 11, 2012, 07:38:38 PM »

Marston, let me be more blunt. Under Obamacare regulations medical services are going to be rationed to death as it were. The basket will shrink. There is no escape.

Having said the above, it would be interesting to see what folks think the cost ramp up for Obamacare will be over time, both per its official numbers (which have lost most if not all of their credibility), and what outside analysts say. Is it more than 3%? 

The problem is that current system is a gurranteed benefit backed up the by the solvency of the US Treasury (a dubious claim going forward which each passing decade as the current status quo is continued), which eats the entirety of the rising cost of healthcare every year. Most people don't understant the numbers belying where he are heading, which means that the situation is such that you essentially have to beat it into people's heads what almost every knowledgeable person knows about this. IT CAN'T CONTINUE LIKE THIS!!!

Obama and his team have proven that winning a second term is more important then anything else and thus rather than also speak to the problem and offer an alternative reform package, he would rather try to reap the benefits of "Ryan pushing grandma off a cliff". I will also bet anything that a meeting was held in January of 2011 between Reid and Pelosi in which the same "politics first, country second approach" was adopted in order to make themselves the "great knight rushing to protect the seniors from the anti-gov't tea party" as a a way to avenge what Republicans did with Seniors in 2010. From the playground to the congress, "tit for tat" reigns supreme. I hope Obama realizes that if in the process he makes it politcally impossible to reform entitlements he will go down in history as the President who literally ruined America. I wouldn't count on it and therefore I won't be.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies