What US city should host the Olympics next?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:51:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What US city should host the Olympics next?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: What American city deserves the Olympics?
New Orleans

San Francisco

Austin

Washington DC

Dallas

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: What US city should host the Olympics next?  (Read 4623 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2012, 01:16:08 AM »

I think there is going to be a move towards holding the games in cities that already have the infrastructure in place (unless the games go to somewhere in the developing world) So I wouldn't rule out a Los Angeles bid again.

I doubt that will LA will host it again. It's probably going to be one of the cities I listed in this poll.

I think LA has an excellent shot at the 2028, 2032, or 2036 games, most likely 2028 since that'll probably be the next Summer Olympics held in the Americas.

Looks like the only two possible candidates for a Winter Games are Seattle and Denver.

Neither has a bobsled track, tho they could add one.  Lake Tahoe is an option, probably making use of Squaw Valley as the ski area. Reno would likely host the skating events, and it would likely be easier to build a bobsled run on the Nevada side of the border.  The USOC won't be bidding for 2022, so there's time to plan.  With no North American bid in the works for 2022, it's practically a guarantee that North America gets the 2026 games.

Bozeman is said to be interested, but there's no chance it would get the games.

Lake Placid might be able to get a third games, but 2034 or 2038 are more likely years for a successful Olympic bid.

Salt Lake is unlikely to get the games for several more decades, not because of the bribery, but because the Olympics don't like going to the same place too often.  The only way Salt Lake gets 2026 is if none of the other US proposals are sound enough to submit to the IOC and Canada doesn't make a bid.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2012, 01:33:47 AM »

Any Texas city that isn't Houston would be fine by me.

What's the problem with Houston?

Do you think Austin, Corpus Christi, Laredo, Lubbock, or El Paso could actually host the games?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2012, 10:36:08 AM »

Of these, New Orleans.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2012, 10:42:29 AM »

Do you think Austin, Corpus Christi, Laredo, Lubbock, or El Paso could actually host the games?

Houston couldn't either. I mean, technically it could (I suppose), but it would be an absolute fiasco.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2012, 10:44:42 AM »

Houston is crap, but that's just me.

I could see Austin or Dallas hosting it.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2012, 10:46:16 AM »

Houston couldn't either. I mean, technically it could (I suppose), but it would be an absolute fiasco.

Oh, I don't know, Taco Bell Olympic Diving and Chevron Olympic Basketball sound alright, and McModern Pentathlon sounds heaps good.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2012, 10:59:48 AM »

Joint El Paso/Juarez bid.  Runners have additional incentive due to having to outrun spree killing cartel members.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2012, 11:03:56 AM »

Oh, I don't know, Taco Bell Olympic Diving and Chevron Olympic Basketball sound alright, and McModern Pentathlon sounds heaps good.

Uh, the Olympics are already sponsored by McDonalds so I don't see why this would be so ridiculous?

The obvious reason why you can't (or shouldn't, at least) have an Olympics in Houston is that it's 100 degrees and very humid in August. The athletes would all die.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »

Ugh, none of these - Detroit only.

Oh I suppose New Orleans is depressed enough to need a boost.  Should be paid for entirely with fiat currency though.

Why Detroit? You want to see an opening ceremony about Chevy cars on Mount Rushmore?

No I would always prefer to spend the most money in the poorest/most depressed locality.  (and in a well-unionized state and Democratic-leaning state if possible, so forget the poor South).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2012, 11:40:22 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2012, 11:44:46 AM by James Badass Monroe »

Well like someone said, it'd be a very very dark horse pick.  To which I thank Zeus, I would probably commit suicide if I had to go through Olympic traffic, had police state laws to deal with, and there was EVEN LESS money to fix our crappy roads.
http://www.cracked.com/article_19733_5-things-they-dont-want-you-to-know-about-olympics.html
[/unpopular opinion]
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2012, 12:14:26 PM »

Burlington for the summer games, Stowe or Jeffersonville for the winter. Obviously.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2012, 02:40:31 PM »

I think there is going to be a move towards holding the games in cities that already have the infrastructure in place (unless the games go to somewhere in the developing world) So I wouldn't rule out a Los Angeles bid again.

I doubt that will LA will host it again. It's probably going to be one of the cities I listed in this poll.

I think LA has an excellent shot at the 2028, 2032, or 2036 games, most likely 2028 since that'll probably be the next Summer Olympics held in the Americas.

Looks like the only two possible candidates for a Winter Games are Seattle and Denver.

Neither has a bobsled track, tho they could add one.  Lake Tahoe is an option, probably making use of Squaw Valley as the ski area. Reno would likely host the skating events, and it would likely be easier to build a bobsled run on the Nevada side of the border.  The USOC won't be bidding for 2022, so there's time to plan.  With no North American bid in the works for 2022, it's practically a guarantee that North America gets the 2026 games.

Bozeman is said to be interested, but there's no chance it would get the games.

Lake Placid might be able to get a third games, but 2034 or 2038 are more likely years for a successful Olympic bid.

Salt Lake is unlikely to get the games for several more decades, not because of the bribery, but because the Olympics don't like going to the same place too often.  The only way Salt Lake gets 2026 is if none of the other US proposals are sound enough to submit to the IOC and Canada doesn't make a bid.

Quebec city wants to run in 2026, if Toronto doesn't get the 2024 Summer Games and than theu solve their mountain problem.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2012, 04:31:04 PM »

Indianapolis. I wouldn't go to any of the above cities for the Olympics.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies