What US city should host the Olympics next?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:27:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What US city should host the Olympics next?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: What American city deserves the Olympics?
New Orleans

San Francisco

Austin

Washington DC

Dallas

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: What US city should host the Olympics next?  (Read 4569 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »

The next North American city to host the Summer Olympics should be Toronto, though, in my opinion.

Mmmmm, ehhhh, I dunno...
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 01:14:53 PM »

I dunno. Honestly, I like seeing the Olympics hosted in a foreign city.  I like to see the panoramic shots of the London skyline, and seeing the Beijing facilities was neat.  Here is my future list for the next two decades (obviously the earlier picks are constrained).

2014: Sochi, Russia
2016: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
2018: Pyeongchang, South Korea
2020: Istanbul, Turkey
2022: Almaty, Kazakhstan
2024: Paris, France
2026: Oslo, Norway
2028: Casablanca, Morocco
2030: Santiago, Chile
2032: Chicago, USA
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »

Global warming will ensure that Santiago will never host the winter games, especially not in 2030.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 01:21:25 PM »

I actually was thinking 'Austin' ironically before I clicked into this thread.  how about somewhere in the desert, like Phoenix or Las Vegas.  would be mad funny to see the athletes in 115-120 degree heat.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 01:22:37 PM »

The next North American city to host the Summer Olympics should be Toronto, though, in my opinion.

Mmmmm, ehhhh, I dunno...
The next North American city to host the Summer Olympics should clearly be Juarez.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2012, 01:52:05 PM »

I think Santiago could host the games. It doesn't get much snow itself, but the Andes do, even in dry years.

Of course, it would need to be in July or August...
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2012, 01:55:52 PM »

I'd like to see New Orleans as the location of the summer Olympics -it will mark a real comeback for a city still recovering from Hurricane Katrina. 

I'm going to say this might also be a big boost for New Orleans in the bidding process if they ever go through it. 

I actually was thinking 'Austin' ironically before I clicked into this thread.  how about somewhere in the desert, like Phoenix or Las Vegas.  would be mad funny to see the athletes in 115-120 degree heat.

They'll all die of exhaustion, perhaps we could rename the Olympics, the Hunger Games by that point?[/morbid humor]
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »

High altitude is better... La Paz 2028?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »

I used to think like Al, but I really enjoyed Chicago's bid. I'd like to see them bid again, and would be interested in NYC, San Francisco, and maybe Seattle or Washington/Baltimore/Philadelphia.

I'd prefer Toronto over them all, though.

Chicago really had a very good bid, but totally failed the IOC politics in 2009. But that was Daley. It's now up to Rahm to see if he wants to invest enough political capital with the business community to put together a future bid.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 02:57:01 PM »

I wouldn't wish the curse of the Olympics on any city I've lived in and have significant ties to, so that rules out both Dallas and Washington, for me.

Seriously, hosting the Olympics is one of the worst curses a city can bring on itself.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 03:25:38 PM »

I wouldn't wish the curse of the Olympics on any city I've lived in and have significant ties to, so that rules out both Dallas and Washington, for me.

Seriously, hosting the Olympics is one of the worst curses a city can bring on itself.

very true, which is why I don't want Tulsa.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 03:32:47 PM »

Yeah, I opposed the Frankfurt bid on those grounds. Of course, I then was still offended when the NOK decided to go with Leipzig. Hamburg had the obvious best bid among the Germans, Frankfurt the only other non-total-joke one. The IOC's not even allowing Leipzig into the vote was not so much a disaster waiting to happen, it was inevitable. It was, in fact, known to the NOK beforehand that of the five German bids only Hamburg and Frankfurt met the IOC's minimum requirements.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 03:40:06 PM »

That would be cool, but I wanted to slip an african host city in somewhere.  Might have gone with the standard South African cities, but I could not stand the blowy thingies everyone in the stadiums had during the 2010 World Cup.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2012, 04:15:51 PM »

San Francisco,  I guess.  Austin would only work if it was a Texas games.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2012, 04:38:04 PM »

Modern-day, maybe, but Melbourne was a huge winner for hosting 1956. Not only did it remind the world that we existed, it set up a great legacy for Melbourne in terms of both sporting infrastructure and sporting heritage. Without the Olympics, we wouldn't have our sports precinct, which is possibly better than any other in the world, and is right in the heart of town.

Sydney has gone to the dogs post-Olympics, and it would be fair to suggest that part of the reason is a shift in priorities in terms of infrastructure spending that occured due to hosting the games, but more realistically comes down to poor governance more broadly. I'd still suggest it was an absolute positive for Australia as a nation, and probably a positive for Sydney itself.

A city like Istanbul would have a similar experience to Sydney's, I'd suggest. Already known, but boosts its profile, massively boosts the profile of the nation beyond Istanbul, and if well-managed, leaves a strong legacy for the future in sporting infrastructure. Their olympic stadium is already built and functioning well, so you'd add 30,000 temporary seats and be good to go, along with increasing the transport and safety infrastructure, which would be no bad thing for a city that aims to be one of those top-tier cities that it was in the past.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2012, 04:41:32 PM »

Is that where Kim Kardashian is from?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2012, 04:45:41 PM »

Also, Philly.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »

Austin, Denver, or Philly.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2012, 06:17:49 PM »

Boston
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2012, 06:30:44 PM »

Global warming will ensure that Santiago will never host the winter games, especially not in 2030.

The scheduling difficulties alone ensure Santiago and all other Southern hemisphere venues will never host the winter games, even if we had global cooling.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2012, 06:31:59 PM »

Yeah, I opposed the Frankfurt bid on those grounds. Of course, I then was still offended when the NOK decided to go with Leipzig. Hamburg had the obvious best bid among the Germans, Frankfurt the only other non-total-joke one. The IOC's not even allowing Leipzig into the vote was not so much a disaster waiting to happen, it was inevitable. It was, in fact, known to the NOK beforehand that of the five German bids only Hamburg and Frankfurt met the IOC's minimum requirements.

Perhaps they purposely did that to avoid having to host the games.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2012, 07:28:49 PM »

From the context of the discussion, I assume everybody is talking about just the Summer Games. I think Honolulu would make a super sweet Summer Olympics location. Maybe Anchorage for the Winter Games.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2012, 08:12:42 PM »

Aly Raisman is going to be the no-brainer final torchbearer for that one.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2012, 04:39:41 AM »

Perhaps they purposely did that to avoid having to host the games.
Nah, but with Paris, New York and London in the mix they probably knew the Olympics wouldn't end up going to Germany anyways, so members were free to vote based on national "politics"/brownnosing grounds. I do suppose Leipzig, Stuttgart and Düsseldorf (I think it was) assumed they'd gain prestige just by being Germany's candidate, not lose as they ended up doing. (I misspoke in the first sentence actually. I opposed the Frankfurt bid mostly because of the money we'd needlessly waste over the next two years or however long it would have been - not going to check -  until the IOC vote.)
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2012, 02:02:38 PM »

To be honest I think I should've added Denver, for the Winter Games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies